1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax Thread III

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by currawong, Aug 20, 2013.
Tags:
  1. tabness
    Thanks for your impressions. Especially the T8000.

I'm in Seattle. the only audio dealer I know of that even advertises Stax as one of their offerings is Experience Audio (http://www.experienceaudio.com/) and they never responded to my email on their amp selection.

Whitigir and HoloSpice like this.
  2. ahmedie
    I just notice that there are another patch of stax l300 limited in-stock in various shops it is great headphone for price !

Pokemonn likes this.
  3. CT007
    When I bought mine last month, it was only #249/800.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    ahmedie likes this.
  4. Rhamnetin
    Ah... just got my KGSSHV Carbon. First time listening to Stax in over a year (using an SR-009). Right away I am blown away by the realism and transparency. I don't think any headphone from any other brand comes close. Not the LCD-4, not the Code-6, nothing. Glad to be back!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  5. Whitigir
    Congratulation! And again welcome to the Stax Club ! Stax On!

6. Trance_Gott
    When it would have the punch and slam of the LCD4 the only way would be Stax!

7. Rhamnetin
    Yeah, then it'd be perfect. Or if the LCD-4 had Stax-like treble. But I'm guessing both are impossible.

What mildly surprises me is that I prefer the SR-009 over all the planars I've owned for rap (therefore for every genre). I just can't give up its clarity/transparency for more bass slam and more sub ~30 Hz bass.

...and I still can't get over how Birgir's KGSSHV Carbon is at least as small in overall dimensions as my previous KGSS.

Going from top tier dynamic or even planar magnetic headphones like the LCD-4 and LFF Code-6 to the SR-009 is a bigger upgrade to me as going from a Sennheiser HD 598 tier headphone to the likes of the HiFiMan Sundara or HE-500. To my ears, a top notch Stax system just makes all other headphone systems sound muffled (to varying degrees) and fake in comparison.

Even the worst quality files in my collection sound better. Veils have been lifted, hearing things I never heard before in literally every song. SR-009 is good enough to me, goodbye all other headphones lol.

mulveling likes this.
  8. bmichels
    At CanJam London I compared today the 009s and the Mr speaker Voce, and I believe I prefer ... the 009s.

But booth are very good. To me the Voce sound like a « better 007 ». So it depend on your taste.

Any one want to tell which he prefers ?

Whitigir likes this.
  9. VRacer-111
    Here's my STAX L300 Ltd system in action - of course the audio quality is not what it actually sounds like...but hey, just a system 'demo'...

And I'm using the FLAC download of this track:

ahmedie, nanosword and mulveling like this.
  10. statfi
    Vielen Dank. Did you mean the SRM-009 or SRM-009s? (I have used "009s" to mean the SRM-009, for years, but now, that Stax has usurped my nomenclature I personally am struggling to adapt !-)

11. VRacer-111
    Wouldn't the new flagship be SR-009S (capital 's') ? ... '009s' would mean multiple or that version of the previous generation -009.

joseph69 likes this.
  12. Aurlieus
    Hi!

A very interesting and different review of an amp no one really knows much about, so, naturally my interest in piqued. Do you still have the amp or have you returned it? If so, how does the Carbon compare with your short time with the Venture electrostatic? Really interested to try this out as a (gulp!) budget amp with my SR-007 Mkii and, hopefully, a new pair of SR-009.
    Cheers!

13. mulveling Contributor
    Congrats! Now you fully understand our disease, and the need to spread it!

Rhamnetin and Whitigir like this.
  14. statfi
    Thanks for correcting my typos (the 'M's). And, yes, capitalization could be the distinguisher: subtle but effective.

15. oneguy
    ‘tis a virulent strain that take over your life.

Now for a robot chicken analogy. (Replace heroin with non-stats)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018