The Stax Thread III
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #15,616 of 25,558
What is a fair price for a second hand SRM-007tII?

Usually, I look on eBay at completed listings and check the prices of items that actually sold to figure that out. You can probably do the same with the classified listings on Head-Fi, but it probably will take more work.

I have to say that, although I have not heard the SRM-007T, IMHO the SRM-T1 or 006 is a better buy. It shares the same basic circuit as the 007, but is significantly less expensive. The output circuit is the only difference - the 007 doubles the output tubes, but only runs 40% more total standing current through them,, which actually puts their operation at a less linear point. The consensus opinion seems to be that the T1/006 series drive the Lambda phones very well, so the added power of the 007 doesn't really do that much for the Lambda series phones like the 507, and is still marginal for the SR-007 and SR-009 (see the InnerFidelity review 0f the SRM-007, which used the SR-009).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #15,619 of 25,558
Compared to the top planars, all electrostats sound thinner to me. And compared to the sr-007, the sr-009 sounds thinner to me too. I do have a carbon and had a kgss-sr009 combo but the sr-009 sounded distant and uninvolving to me in a/b comparison.

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #15,620 of 25,558
Compared to the top planars, all electrostats sound thinner to me. And compared to the sr-007, the sr-009 sounds thinner to me too. I do have a carbon and had a kgss-sr009 combo but the sr-009 sounded distant and uninvolving to me in a/b comparison.

Personal preferences, and as mine goes, I prefer Sr009 out of Tubes. The Sr007-MKI is much better with Carbon

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #15,622 of 25,558
Apologies. Gotta ask: do you mean "thinner than accurate"? With which do you think you sound closer to what the microphones heard? As Harry Pearson pointed out, such a determination makes more sense with unamplfied music in a real space.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #15,623 of 25,558
Apologies. Gotta ask: do you mean "thinner than accurate"? With which do you think you sound closer to what the microphones heard? As Harry Pearson pointed out, such a determination makes more sense with unamplfied music in a real space.

I don’t know what he meant, and I don’t know what Accurate mean either.

I do know that in my quest for hi-fi, I want it to get closer to the real live instruments fidelity, tonality, presentations....etc....therefore, under my point of view, Carbon pairing with SR-009 is thin. That is because it becomes too fast, the tonal body of live instruments becomes less realistic than it was in real live.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #15,624 of 25,558
I don’t know what he meant, and I don’t know what Accurate mean either.

I do know that in my quest for hi-fi, I want it to get closer to the real live instruments fidelity, tonality, presentations....etc....therefore, under my point of view, Carbon pairing with SR-009 is thin. That is because it becomes too fast, the tonal body of live instruments becomes less realistic than it was in real live.

I'm curious (and sorry if it was stated already) but what headphone did you find to have more realistic tonal body of instruments than the SR-009? I need a port modded SR-007Mk2 to A/B test here, but beyond that I find the tonal body of instruments (everything but drums) of all other headphones to be tiny, anemic, veiled, and toyish with relatively no impact or body. Like a dense cloud of fog is obscuring the sound and holding a lot of it back, while with the SR-009 it is right there in front of me.

Going from the Code-6 or LCD-4 to the SR-009 for me was about as big an upgrade as going from a Cooler Master gaming headset to an AKG K7XX or Beyerdynamic DT 880.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #15,625 of 25,558
I'm curious (and sorry if it was stated already) but what headphone did you find to have more realistic tonal body of instruments than the SR-009? I need a port modded SR-007Mk2 to A/B test here, but beyond that I find the tonal body of instruments (everything but drums) of all other headphones to be tiny, anemic, veiled, and toyish with relatively no impact or body. Like a dense cloud of fog is obscuring the sound and holding a lot of it back, while with the SR-009 it is right there in front of me.

Still SR-009, But out of Grounded Grid or even better, out of KG-T2 :) . Stax are hugely affected by the amplifiers that is driving it. The 007-MKI was superbly paired with Carbon though

I have become a broken record, I keep repeating myself LOL

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #15,626 of 25,558
Still SR-009, But out of Grounded Grid or even better, out of KG-T2 :) . Stax are hugely affected by the amplifiers that is driving it. The 007-MKI was superbly paired with Carbon though

I have become a broken record, I keep repeating myself LOL

Haha yeah, these are some of the most amp dependent headphones out there. The Grounded Grid is next on my list, I do plan to get one. Got any favored tubes for it?

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #15,627 of 25,558
Haha yeah, these are some of the most amp dependent headphones out there. The Grounded Grid is next on my list, I do plan to get one. Got any favored tubes for it?

Yes, similar to BHSE, T2, slab XF2 Mullard Quad onto it :D. I think it is because electro-stat nature, they are very amp dependent

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #15,628 of 25,558
Yes, similar to BHSE, T2, slab XF2 Mullard Quad onto it :D. I think it is because electro-stat nature, they are very amp dependent

I have also noticed that more and more GG/BHSE/T2 owners are preferring certain NOS 6CA7 models to any EL34.

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #15,630 of 25,558

I have seen a few people swearing by C6A7 in the gg. Actual C6A7 though.. A few companies have sold things that they call C6A7 but are structurally EL34.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back