1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax Thread III

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by currawong, Aug 20, 2013.
Tags:
  1. oneguy
    Count me amongst those that feel the L700 has more bass than the 009.

ahmedie likes this.
  2. Trance_Gott
    Yes L700 has more Midbass impact then SR009.
    I hope the SR009s has even more.

3. Rhamnetin
    Early impressions are the SR-009S has less than the SR-009, but both are held back by improperly sealing pads. The amp plays a role here too of course.

4. padam
    There is one owner who wrote that the bass hasn't decreased.
    More like the opposite, SR-009 pads seal rather well (imho), if you break the seal you get a lot more bass, but it's not a positive change. You can also get an SR-007 Mk2 that has improper seal by default (not at the earpads, at the cable entry) and more bass quantity as a result (but less bass depth). It can be plugged in but if it is not the SZ2 version it might not be worthwhile to do so.
    There were some tinkering in this thread as well, but in the end it was reverted back to stock.
    Most of these mods are quite personal and not what the manufacturer had in mind when they did the tuning, so feel free to experiment but also take them with a grain of salt.

mulveling and Rhamnetin like this.
  5. Trance_Gott
    And on Fujija festival ALL impressions said more bass.
    That's the problem with every early impressions.
    I remain the first impressions for the HE1000 telling there is coming a Game Changer bla bla bla.
    In the end all that was not the truth.
    What means more bass? My 007 pushes more fuller bass but my 009 are hitting harder. L700 has more midbass hump then 009 but 009 has more lower bass.
    And yes a not proper seal kills the bass on every electrostatic headphone!

My only problem with the SR009 is too much forward in the mids and a little too bright.
    Seems these two aspects are fixed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  6. Rodeodave
    Today I finally got around to finish the step down transformer build for my newly acquired SRM-007tA. The Stax amp is now running off a 100VAC balanced output step down transformer. It's all a bit messy still, but so far I really like what I'm hearing! 20180623_143218.jpg 20180623_130532_HDR.jpg

7. AudioThief
    009 hands down IMO. It is clearly better in terms of technicalities. I think L700 and 009 are quite similar headphones overall, 009 just does everything better.

Contrails likes this.
  8. Whitigir
    Thanks for the impressions, still loving my 009, and I do hope the 009S is a combination of both worlds 007+009=009S

9. Contrails
    Gents, one more question. I have been offered a 007mk1. I have read that this beast is not easy to drive. I have a KGST amp (350v). Will it suffice?

Second, the 007mk2(sz3) is easier to drive?

Regards

10. chinsettawong
    The efficiencies of both SR007 MK1 and MK2 are about the same.

Jones Bob likes this.
  11. JimL11
    The KGST is perfectly fine for driving either edition of the 007.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Contrails likes this.
  12. AudioThief
    unqualified opinion, ignore.

Contrails likes this.
  13. Rhamnetin
    Why would those people need to use mental gymnastics to justify their purchase? Many of them purchase plenty of other similarly expensive gear and it's not really a whole lot to them, others build plenty of those amps themselves so aren't spending nearly as much. I've never seen one person listen to the SR-007 or SR-009 with a BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon or even a KGSSHV, and claim those amps are not worth the price premium.

I used to own an SR-007A and a KGSS, and listened to various SR-007s and the SR-009 with the BHSE on multiple occasions, but never actually owned one of those top tier amps. Just from those auditions though, seemed worth it to me (such that I am now ordering a KGSSHV Carbon), very substantial difference but of course deciding whether or not it's worthwhile is completely subjective. I have no issue selling off or returning more expensive audio gear for less expensive ones if the latter sounds better.

HoloSpice, joseph69 and mulveling like this.
  14. mulveling Contributor
    "I have no experience with the expensive amps, but here's my thoughts on them..." :thinking:

15. Rhamnetin
    That is indeed what he said, so of course that post should be taken with truckloads of salt.

BreadMaster likes this.