The Stax SR-507 Thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #331 of 361
The price on PJ is nice. But why are they so much cheaper? They get them from Kakaku.com, which is like nippon newegg, with a lot of small sellers.
Are all the units new, not refurbished?

Or is is because it's jobbing (stores overbought and sold cheap to another seller, whose job is to move the units, like Overstock.com and video cards)? Only I can't imagine any stores overbuying electrostats?

The price is tempting.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #332 of 361
  The price on PJ is nice. But why are they so much cheaper? They get them from Kakaku.com, which is like nippon newegg, with a lot of small sellers.
Are all the units new, not refurbished?

Or is is because it's jobbing (stores overbought and sold cheap to another seller, whose job is to move the units, like Overstock.com and video cards)? Only I can't imagine any stores overbuying electrostats?

The price is tempting.

PJ is the largest reseller. If you have followed the pace of the Yen that could explain your bargain.In any case I've bought from them large and small and they have been no problem. At one time I bought these exact ear pads and they came factory sealed. They were obviously original.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #334 of 361
Just received my SR 507 and SRM 323 set up from Price Japan. Great deal, along with my 120-100 volt transformer from Amazon I saved $800.

Initial impressions are super comfortable and first class all around. Thanks to this forum or I never would have known about these gems.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #335 of 361
I just spent 2 hours listening to SR-507/SRM-323S combo. All I can say is that I can't stop listening to this can. If not for an errand I need to do I would have gone longer.

All I can say is the detail, imaging and space is just so unreal for a headphone. Overall, it's better than my HE-6 or rather I like the SR-507 better, except for the bass weight and impact. However, SR-507 does't lack bass weight nor impact at all. It's just have noticeably less than HE-6. But I think it's an advantage rather than a fault. SR-507 presents more detail and better imaging at the bass region than the HE-6.

Better recorded tracks sounds awesome at the same time it's more forgiving of lesser-quality recorded tracks. Complex sounding records appears to be dissected well and each part is presented very clear and distinct which may easily sound like a dirty mix on other headphones.

However, I stll find a few tracks which sounded thin and I find more enjoyable with HE-6.

Next I will demo the SR-009. If the difference is not that much as far as my impression on 507 goes then I will get the SR-507/SRM-323S combo.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #336 of 361
Just received my SR 507 and SRM 323 set up from Price Japan. Great deal, along with my 120-100 volt transformer from Amazon I saved $800.

Initial impressions are super comfortable and first class all around. Thanks to this forum or I never would have known about these gems.

can you give me the link for that ?

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #339 of 361
I have the new 5170 system, I bought it around a month ago. I didn't realise the 507s were a new version, is that definitely the case, or perhaps a misprint?

Anyway, I have owned 507 before and they seem similar to me, although that was with a 323s, and the new 006 Kimik will bring a few small differences compared to the solid state, sounds smoother, less punchy. In some cases it's better than I remember, but the 323s had its merits also.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #343 of 361
Good to know - perhaps the review is incorrect.
Or the Stax distributor is not up to date.
It sounds a bit strange that someone like Alan Sircom would explicitly refer to a Mark II 507 with no good reason.
Updating diaphragm, coating or tension in drivers and calling them Mk II would not be new practice at Stax.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #344 of 361
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back