The Stax SR-507 Thread
Nov 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #301 of 361
Update on my faulty SC-21 : it is indeed sad, that I have to say the repair done is not going to be any good. I pick a pair of SR-507 and my amp, it just sings away with the music. I have written to PriceJapan to request for another repair session, let's see if they even bother to reply me. For those whom have plans to buy stuff from them, my advice:

Their price may be cheap, comparing to your local dealer, but once you have repair to be done, they will switch their business mode and act as a "middle man". And my experience is indeed a painful lesson to be learnt, both time & money spent.

2 weeks have gone by, after numerous emails to PriceJapan, but no answer. I guess, this is my price to pay and a painful lesson learnt.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #302 of 361
2 weeks have gone by, after numerous emails to PriceJapan, but no answer. I guess, this is my price to pay and a painful lesson learnt.

Unpleasant story indeed... 
Maybe try to contact the creator of these "magic" cans directly? - He should be responsible for his craftsmanship...
Or try to ask for assistance from Head-Fi (the place you learned about these magic cans, I guess) admins in dealing with PriceJapan? - I think they can possibly help.

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #303 of 361
Update on my faulty SC-21 : it is indeed sad, that I have to say the repair done is not going to be any good. I pick a pair of SR-507 and my amp, it just sings away with the music. I have written to PriceJapan to request for another repair session, let's see if they even bother to reply me. For those whom have plans to buy stuff from them, my advice:

Their price may be cheap, comparing to your local dealer, but once you have repair to be done, they will switch their business mode and act as a "middle man". And my experience is indeed a painful lesson to be learnt, both time & money spent.

Were you asking them to send them in for service or were you asking for a refund?

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #305 of 361
On a lighter note than the last post, I received mine today from a guy in Michigan. They came with the stand and dust cover, to sweeten the deal. I've got them hooked up to a Woo WEE and a Schiit Ragnarok, so the setup isn't ideal, but still amazing. What do you guys use to drive these?

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #307 of 361
I still have the SRM-717 and they sound very good with the LNS and the 507s. Less hassle than tubes and I can leave it on all day. I have heard the 727 and my 717 sounds better, maybe due to the feedback change to the 727. Anyway, I am keeping the 717 forever to use as at my parents house, and leave my main system at home. Hell, can't be without tunes can I!

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #308 of 361
  I still have the SRM-717 and they sound very good with the LNS and the 507s. Less hassle than tubes and I can leave it on all day. I have heard the 727 and my 717 sounds better, maybe due to the feedback change to the 727. Anyway, I am keeping the 717 forever to use as at my parents house, and leave my main system at home. Hell, can't be without tunes can I!

A Stax SRM-717. I think the Stax tube amps would work well with these, as the SRM-T1 sounded great with my previous Lambda's, slightly better than the 717 from memory.

Thanks guys, I'll consider the stuff you mentioned.

May 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #309 of 361
All this talk on the Stax SR-507 has got my interest, just purchased off on Amazon Japan for $514.00 with free delivery to Okinawa, Japan. The dollar/yen rate is pretty good now. Should receive them by next week. Now have to save up for the Stax amp. Tubes or transistors?

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #310 of 361
Hi,

New stax owner here, just ordered this beauty today morning :) . I tried this headphone at the portable headphone festival last month and was really impressed by the amazing imaging and soundstage, which was exactly what I'm looking for. (I need a headphone for classical music).

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #311 of 361
Yes, I heard them at this years Munich High End Show. I feel in love with them quickly. I can't wait to take delivery of my pair in a couple of weeks. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #312 of 361

PriceJapan is always a middle man, unless you're buying a cheap item they happen to keep in stock, like some of the lower priced Stax. For the higher end you have a wait time as they scout around and find a seller for you. 

Sorry about your experience. Since Japan started driving their forex down it's crazy. A 009 still lists at 4.3k and can be had on the grey market for 2.7k, that's not something to sneeze at. Buying grey market has some risks of course, well as does buying from anybody. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #313 of 361
see m y review on SR 507 giving too much bass ...in fact...

nitial review...will be followed up again after few months...

combined this with stax 323s amp.
listening thru marantz cd6005.
playing audiophile cds, and files...

also have 2170 stax system.

most people prefer the cheaper 2170 system and the reason seems to be this :
the 507 and 323s system simply has TOO much qty of bass (Especially in lowest
20Hz to about 200 Hz ) ...in comparison ...

simply too overpowering..
the cheaper stax 2170 has greatly REDUCED bass sound
in that last octave bass ( 20Hz to 80 Hz or so ) range, so
overall sound seems CLEANER.

will re report in few months...trying to reduce bass...
re positioning helps a tiny bit..and reversing cables..helps a tiny bit.

have talked to japan ippinkan store and stax people in japan...perhaps
i got a bit bassy unit...must let them hear it...so i know if i am anti bass,
or if there really is a bit too much bass...

hence , have let others hear these 2 systems and most agree...
the cheaper one is less headache

FOUND ONE REASON AND ONE SOLUTION on how to reduce this LOWEST BOOMING BASS.
( 20 -50 Hz seems to go right thru my jawbone in fact...ha )

One of the reasons, was the Almost airtight, hermetic FIT this sr507 has on my head, and jaw,etc.
so the More Bass it does produce, just keeps on growing,,,more and more !
exactly,
as if , one is playing the last string of a bass guitar in a tiny toilet. all locked up.
boomy, and howling and way too much...never ending...like never ending surf..waves..duh

SOLution for me was rather simple... well, a partial solution :
using rolled up kleenex tissues or toilet paper, make a tiny roll, and keep between
main L and R pads and my jaw !
This 2-3 mm ( 1 / 8 th inch or so ) of tiny spacing greatly relieves the booming , howling bass !
duh

k

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #314 of 361
Hm, I've been using my 507s through a Woo WEE and various SET speaker amps (and a Ragnarok), and the bass never sounded that boomy to me. Might be the amp.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #315 of 361
Have been using exact the same set up (507 + 323s) for few days, I can say that my headphone doesn't sound bassy to me. The bass quality is nice, but bass quantity is not so much. In fact, I think it's quite on the bright side... 

@kay bee aside from SR-207, what headphones have you been using before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back