The Stax Lambda Thread
Oct 19, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #61 of 101
For anyone still following this thread.  I've been hunting for some new stax sr-lambda NB earpads.  is there a general consensus as to what are the nicest pads?  I dont really care about color.  just comfort and performance.  and performance trumps comfort. lol. Interested in peoples opinions.  

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #62 of 101
It's said that the genuine leather (as opposed to pleather) SR-507 earpads are the best in terms of comfort...also figures that they're the most expensive ones. I don't have them yet, but am considering picking them up to replace my very worn SR-Lambda earpads. (Now, if only Stax made velour pads...that would totally make my day comfort-wise.) As for aural performance, I'm not as certain there...

I have an issue of my own, though. I need to do something about a resonance at sub-bass frequencies and popping noises (the so-called "Stax fart", perhaps) in the left driver (but NOT the right driver, which sounds fine). I think it's because whoever rebuilt the drivers before I got them didn't quite glue them on right between the driver (which looks like there are uneven half-millimeter gaps and generally non-flush fit between the driver, protective mesh, and mounting plate in some places). The right driver shows a flush fit all around.

The resonance goes away if I press down a bit on one edge of the driver's rear (which doesn't visibly close said gaps and uneveness) or the protective mesh and just gives clean sound, which leads me to think that the diaphragm, spacers, and stators are fine, just not what the whole driver sandwich is attached to. As for the popping noises, I can't hear them if I remove the pad on that side and put them on, or leave the pad on and press it in with my fingers, as if it only happens when it has a seal with my head. Again, none of this affects the right driver, and I know it doesn't involve the earcups because the resonance still happens with the left driver when removed, and the pops come back if I switch the left and right drivers so they're mounted in the opposite earcups, with opposite earpads.

I just don't know how I'm going to separate everything safely, without breaking anything, much less mounting it properly so that the resonance is gone...aside from that driver mounting issue, the SR-Lambda sounds great, and I certainly don't want to be without an electrostatic headphone from here on out!

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #63 of 101

Quote:
For anyone still following this thread.  I've been hunting for some new stax sr-lambda NB earpads.  is there a general consensus as to what are the nicest pads?  I dont really care about color.  just comfort and performance.  and performance trumps comfort. lol. Interested in peoples opinions.  

Bumping this for some more input...  or maybe I'll stick with the main thread.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #64 of 101
You can get the old style pads from kuboten I believe...just shoot them an email.  Different pads will probably have some effect on the sound, but not as much as it does with other headphones as your ears are coupled to the drivers with the Lambdas.  The newer pads are probably more comfortable for long listening sessions, but I don't find the old ones uncomfortable at all.  The new ones are also quite expensive iirc.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #65 of 101

Quote:
I have an issue of my own, though. I need to do something about a resonance at sub-bass frequencies and popping noises (the so-called "Stax fart", perhaps) in the left driver (but NOT the right driver, which sounds fine). I think it's because whoever rebuilt the drivers before I got them didn't quite glue them on right between the driver (which looks like there are uneven half-millimeter gaps and generally non-flush fit between the driver, protective mesh, and mounting plate in some places). The right driver shows a flush fit all around.

The resonance goes away if I press down a bit on one edge of the driver's rear (which doesn't visibly close said gaps and uneveness) or the protective mesh and just gives clean sound, which leads me to think that the diaphragm, spacers, and stators are fine, just not what the whole driver sandwich is attached to. As for the popping noises, I can't hear them if I remove the pad on that side and put them on, or leave the pad on and press it in with my fingers, as if it only happens when it has a seal with my head. Again, none of this affects the right driver, and I know it doesn't involve the earcups because the resonance still happens with the left driver when removed, and the pops come back if I switch the left and right drivers so they're mounted in the opposite earcups, with opposite earpads.

I just don't know how I'm going to separate everything safely, without breaking anything, much less mounting it properly so that the resonance is gone...aside from that driver mounting issue, the SR-Lambda sounds great, and I certainly don't want to be without an electrostatic headphone from here on out!

I doubt it's a problem with mounting and so caused lacks.
I had a SR Lambda Pro which wasn't working properely on one side. The protection mesh was not a plane anymore and the dust proction foil had a very small disruption. At higher sound pressure levels and at some special complex tone mixes, you could hear souns like resonance, snarring and venting.
So I checked the defect transducer exactly. All my investigations trials led the the conclusion that the headphone transducer cannot be saved if once the dust protection foils is disrupted.

I wish you luck!

Nuggets

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #66 of 101

Quote:
I doubt it's a problem with mounting and so caused lacks.
I had a SR Lambda Pro which wasn't working properely on one side. The protection mesh was not a plane anymore and the dust proction foil had a very small disruption. At higher sound pressure levels and at some special complex tone mixes, you could hear souns like resonance, snarring and venting.
So I checked the defect transducer exactly. All my investigations trials led the the conclusion that the headphone transducer cannot be saved if once the dust protection foils is disrupted.

I wish you luck!

I forgot to mention that I fixed that issue already, thankfully, though it did involve carefully separating the driver from the mounting plate and gluing it back on, along with making sure there wasn't any dust that slipped through onto the stator surface-or, worse, got in between the stator and diaphragm. Whoever rebuilt the drivers and originally glued them on left some gaps between the driver and the mounting plate (specifically the metal ring between the driver and the mounting plate).

The protective mesh on the rear is intact, enough to do its job.

Now there's no more buzzing resonances with the sub-bass or popping noises in that driver, and I'm quite thankful for that. (Especially since it saves me the wallet hurt of buying a new Lambda...)

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #68 of 101
Can someone tell me if this T1S amp can work on US voltage? It lists 100V,117V, 220V, 240V on the rear but under the plug says 240V  can you just plug in the US power cord and it'll work?

Edit: Ops posted this in the thread I was reading, ment to post it in the Stax thread, but since its here
wink_face.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #69 of 101
You'll need to open it up and internally change some wire positions to 117V before it's ready for US voltage.

I don't remember the directions off the top of my head for the amps that don't have the jumpers accessible on the back, though.

While the voltage switching isn't automated at all, having all those various voltages listed means that the amp can support 'em all by design. It just can't support them all simultaneously.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #70 of 101
Hello all please can anyone help does anyone know what the last serial numbers ran to on the Stax sr lambda professional headphones I know they first can out in 1982 when buying I don't want to get a pair that are to old thank you

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #71 of 101
Anyone know why what the common issue with the Stax Lambda Pro with the SRM MR 2 with one side louder than the other.

Although not relavent on this thread but I'll memtioned it anyway, a user downunder has the same issue with a 009 and 727!

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #73 of 101
  Anyone know why what the common issue with the Stax Lambda Pro with the SRM MR 2 with one side louder than the other.

Although not relavent on this thread but I'll memtioned it anyway, a user downunder has the same issue with a 009 and 727!

i have this also but only on the pro output, nb output is perfect. i adjusted the bias circuit, no change i'm guessing a cap is going out of spec

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #74 of 101

i have this also but only on the pro output, nb output is perfect. i adjusted the bias circuit, no change i'm guessing a cap is going out of spec

I have replaced all 3 electrolytic 100uf/400V a few years back and also adjusted the bias.  The reason for replacing all 3 electrolytic caps is because of age and hum was coming through the output, replacing the cap resolved that issue but did not resolved the inbalanced issue between the left and right.

May 7, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #75 of 101
Thats really a tough one to answer as the amplification ahead of the transformer obviously plays the role as to the ultimate sound your getting from it. But there are some general traits of both.

Transformer setup-

Generally an overall more dynamic sound than direct drive amps. But at the expense of dynamic range ..ie: softer parts of the music are louder than they would be (should be..?) from a direct drive amp. A sonic squashing of the sound so to speak.

Tend to mask tiny details and generally less transparent than a direct drive amp.

But as said earlier it is VERY dependent on the amplification setup ahead of it.

Direct drive-

Tend to generally have a slightly more polite sound overall but greater dynamic range.

More inner detail, greater transparency and probably in the end more accurate.

Keep in mind there seems to be exceptions to every rule.

I personally think both setups can sound magnificent.

I really do like the transformers and wish someone would come up with a high(er) end offering. (besides the Illusion as it seems a bit difficult to get a hold of)

Are you refering to the step up and step down transformers used to convert the outlet source? I.e japan, us and canada, Europe? These effect sound quality when used with the amp or energizer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back