smily_headphones1.gif
By "soon" I meant 2-3 months.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll see
smily_headphones1.gif
By "soon" I meant 2-3 months.

pm me when your selling mate. If its something major ill have time to sell a kidney on the black market.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #48 of 101
New discovery. this may or may not be tied into my last question about pads. I have noticed on my sr-lambdas, that when I pull the base of the cans slightly away from my head (under my ears), the bass and overall soundstage gets clearer, bigger, better. I noticed this a while ago, and I thought I was imagining it at first, but I've been fooling with it, and I'm sure I hear an improvement. the amount I am moving them is very small. I am wondering if this has more to do with breaking whatever seal there is, or if I am hearing a piece of spritzers mod where he removed the inner fiberglass padding, which I have not done by the way. It could be the actual distance I am moving the diaphragms from my ears, but I cant make that call because I am also breaking the seal by doing so. has anyone heard of this before? and if so, what did you come up with.

I also feel that with the improvement of the bass, the low midrange also comes up. I like this, because the cans seem a bit mid pushed at times.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #49 of 101
Ok.

So I'm thinking about Lambda's.

If I were to buy just a pair of the headphones, what else would I need to get them running and how much would it cost?

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #50 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok.

If I were to buy just a pair of the headphones, what else would I need to get them running and how much would it cost?

you should really use the search function on a question like this. theres a great thread called noob stax research

anyway, $300 bucks should get you an sr-lambda (normal bias) and either an energizer or amp. an excellent combo.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should really use the search function on a question like this. theres a great thread called noob stax research

anyway, $300 bucks should get you an sr-lambda (normal bias) and either an energizer or amp. an excellent combo.

All the Stax threads are so insanely huge. And it wasn't that hard for you to answer my question, was it
wink.gif

Ok. So since I already have a speaker amp (NAD T744) I can just buy an energizer and plug that into the speaker B outputs?

Also, 'energizer' means the same thing as 'driver unit' right?

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #52 of 101
Quote:

All the Stax threads are so insanely huge. And it wasn't that hard for you to answer my question, was it
wink.gif

Ok. So since I already have a speaker amp (NAD T744) I can just buy an energizer and plug that into the speaker B outputs?

Also, 'energizer' means the same thing as 'driver unit' right?

Hey, I understand. the stax threads are daunting.
1. if you have a speaker amp, your good.
2. stax gear can run on two different setups from what I know.
a. energizers connect at the speaker port, and get their power from there. they do not get plugged into an AC outlet.
b. amps are just like regular amps. they still connect at the speaker port, but are powered by the AC.

you know, I'm bad at answering this stuff. I'll find the thing someone sent me, and you can check it out. I'll see if I can find it.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

You will need either a direct drive energizer (amplifier), like the SRM-1/MK2. Or a transformer, like the SRD-7, and any speaker amplifier.
Anywhere between $60 and $400 I would say, depending what you choose.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

it wasn't that hard for you to answer my question, was it
wink.gif

Sure, that question wasn't, but it will invariably spawn a whole host of other questions. The entire road has been traveled before, and documented (as Keith pointed out) in the thread "Noob Stax Research". It's about 10 pages, not the 700-some of most Stax threads.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #57 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, that question wasn't, but it will invariably spawn a whole host of other questions. The entire road has been traveled before, and documented (as Keith pointed out) in the thread "Noob Stax Research". It's about 10 pages, not the 700-some of most Stax threads.

hey sherwood, I sent him your original "primer" you sent me. it put me on the road to ruin. lol

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #58 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey sherwood, I sent him your original "primer" you sent me. it put me on the road to ruin. lol

Glad to hear it -- that thing has certainly made the rounds.

How's the ruinous road coming?

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #59 of 101
Quote:

Glad to hear it -- that thing has certainly made the rounds.

How's the ruinous road coming?

pretty good. I am still dealing a bit with a cable problem with the lambdas, but hey, their old, and don't seem effected if I don't move! lol.. I still have to really diagnose and try to fix the problem. time, time, time, time.

I do feel that my system could improve. I feel I need to EQ a bit, which I would rather not do. I'm going for a new source next, as I've needed that for years. then I'm going to try for a new amp/receiver. my nakamichi crapped out on the right channel, which is a drag, because I actually felt that it was a good amp, and I could end with it. I'm still going to try to fix it, but i'm no spritzer.

so, I am paving the road at breakneck speeds. except slowly, with less money. lol.. Any suggestions on the mentioned componant upgrades are welcome.

I have actually toyed with the idea of the travagans red to bypass the receiver all together. its not very expensive, and I saw a brief write up by someone.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I feel like sherwood is my old buddy. sorry sherwood.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Oops! Sorry -
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back