The Stax Lambda Thread
Jul 4, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #31 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is another mod you can try, connect the PCB and the transformers in parallel (from the speaker leads), so hopefully, "half" of the power goes to providing the bias, and half go directly to the transformers.

interesting idea Tachi, I might give it a try.

Quote:

Yes, if you mean strapping the huge wide PC-OCC cable on to the lambda. If you intend to _make_ your own cables... you have to be really careful with the capacitance of the cable, and the dielectric strength of whatever you're insulating the cables with.

i was thinking a silver wire with a heavy dialectric might try it on a set of old sr40's first

Quote:

The SRD-4 has no bias supply to begin with.

i know, i was planning on making a seperate box with a transformer etc and passing that through the srd to the bias pin (im assuming one of the pins is not used and the pin config is in the same positions as on the pro with the fith pin unconnected to anything.

p.s. Wish id known you were selling your srmt1 before i bought the srd and i would have been up for it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #32 of 101
The Lambda Sigs are very sensitive to everything in your chain in order to get rid of that annoying mid-high etch that some have referred to. And bad recordings are difficult to deal with with all but the very best DACs.

Nirvana came forth when I added a highly modded Singlepower as a preamp (yes, unconventionality is the road to getting it right sometimes). So I have the Singlepower tubes + the tubes in SRM-T1 and then a Chord DAC64 to re-clock everything. XRCD or DVD-A and SACD are most magical with this system and it sounds better then a couple of 02 systems I've heard.

In short, the Sigs are ever-so sensitive to what they are fed and will scratch and claw you if you feed them improperly.

To me, great system synergy is when that you continually fall asleep to at a high listening levels and forget you even have headphones on. Either that, or I'm just getting old.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #33 of 101
In the beginning I used my Dark Voice 336i preamp-out to feed the Stax SRM-1 Mk2 pro amp, with good results. Currently I find the Apogee mini-DAC does a good job feeding the Stax and taming the etch. The very properties of the Apogee that people say make it sound more analog, vs the DAC1, seem to work well with the Stax. Very pleased with the results.

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #35 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want Lambdas! Can't find.
frown.gif

You already have O2!

Note: We go to the same school and same year!

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #36 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You already have O2!

Note: We go to the same school and same year!

Not yet, that's happening in a few months. I need some Stax to hold me over until then!
biggrin.gif

There do seem to be a good number of Berkeley-Fiers, which is not exactly surprising.

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #37 of 101
Quote:

frown.gif

Guess you should have been around a week ago then. When I put out two (2) Lambda's for sale...
wink.gif

That said, there are at least one Lambda on eBay right now.

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you should have been around a week ago then. When I put out two (2) Lambda's for sale...
wink.gif

That said, there are at least one Lambda on eBay right now.

Wait, where!? I thought I checked closely!

One week ago I had not heard the lambda
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #39 of 101
See? Now I have a problem!

I've diligently followed the Stax thread(s) over the years, and now this one on Lambdas has been started and it's going to end in tears...

There's just no way 'conversation' can be limited to the one topic of Lambdas: already on this thread we've had SRD vs SRM-1 discussions, and inevitably it'll go on like this, with crossed wires, and duplication of comments and ideas with the Stax thread.

Please, get this thread integrated into the Stax thread (new), before it's too late, or start it as a new one, as Carl did, back in the day (whatever happened to Carl, by the way?).

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #40 of 101
Jul 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #41 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, get this thread integrated into the Stax thread (new), before it's too late...

I agree! This subject is just too narrow. It will be hard to not discuss other products. Most of the talk on the New Stax thread is about the Lambdas' anyway.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #42 of 101
Quote:

frown.gif

No Problem Aaron, Just send me your blue hawaii and your 02's and ill happily personally deliver my lambda's directly to your door. Hell ill even plug them into an srd energizer for you!

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #43 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See? Now I have a problem!

I've diligently followed the Stax thread(s) over the years, and now this one on Lambdas has been started and it's going to end in tears...

There's just no way 'conversation' can be limited to the one topic of Lambdas: already on this thread we've had SRD vs SRM-1 discussions, and inevitably it'll go on like this, with crossed wires, and duplication of comments and ideas with the Stax thread.

Please, get this thread integrated into the Stax thread (new), before it's too late, or start it as a new one, as Carl did, back in the day (whatever happened to Carl, by the way?).

my fault
redface.gif

your right though the thread will wander but its about time for a new one. I read most of the old one but its impossible to refer back to and follow any of the may lines of conversation in the thread.

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #44 of 101
Quote:

p.s. Wish id known you were selling your srmt1 before i bought the srd and i would have been up for it.

*cough* I'll be selling better amps than the T1 soon. Being $5000~ in the red is not nice.

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #45 of 101
Quote:

*cough* I'll be selling better amps than the T1 soon. Being $5000~ in the red is not nice.

As what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back