The Soundstage Head Club
Nov 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #226 of 439
Soundstage club, uses headphones. Plebs, real men use speakers. :p just wandering though, what do you guys use for movies, headphones or speakers?

Speakers of comparable detail, quality, and listening environment are WAAAAAY out of my budget, especially in a good surround setup. Still, with movies and other people watching, I use a pair of Polk Audio M40s and a Polk Audio subwoofer since "Theater in a Box" kits almost universally suck (not heard one that wasn't a bloated wooly mess yet). But if I'm the only one watching, I kick back or even lay back with my AKG K712, an amp, and a surround processor (usually my Creative). Easier to follow dialogue and all the pieces that make up sound effects, surround works awesome, and the whole frequency range is nicely represented (without driver crossover).

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #227 of 439
Speakers of comparable detail, quality, and listening environment are WAAAAAY out of my budget, especially in a good surround setup. Still, with movies and other people watching, I use a pair of Polk Audio M40s and a Polk Audio subwoofer since "Theater in a Box" kits almost universally suck (not heard one that wasn't a bloated wooly mess yet). But if I'm the only one watching, I kick back or even lay back with my AKG K712, an amp, and a surround processor (usually my Creative). Easier to follow dialogue and all the pieces that make up sound effects, surround works awesome, and the whole frequency range is nicely represented (without driver crossover).
Oh nice, I guess I just tend to move around and kinda feel headphones are a hassle, not to mention my setup was about $550,which was about as much as my old HE400 setup. I kinda Stopped intently listening to the sound and just let the movie play, not to mention when u finally watched wwz, the bullets felt amazing! :p I think that a sub legitimately makes all the difference in some movies, and none at all in others, but as I said, I move around a lot. :/

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #228 of 439
Soundstage club, uses headphones. Plebs, real men use speakers. 
tongue.gif
 just wandering though, what do you guys use for movies, headphones or speakers?

Movies I prefer to run off my Denon 2309 receiver pushing Definitive Technologies Pro 1000 series speakers. For a budget setup, those babies can sing. Unfortunately my sub is currently dead and I haven't gotten around to getting inside and seeing why. That'll happen soon, at least.

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #229 of 439
OOOH, I'll have to look into those, either as a gift for my mom or for myself so I could gift the Polks to my Mom (I love the cherry wood veneer, but it matches her furniture so well, and her existing speakers are pretty poor for a movie buff).

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #230 of 439
I should probably clarify. It's a budget setup for me, as I worked for Magnolia Home Theater when I purchased it. I got mine for lot cheaper than the ProCinema 1000 setup you can buy right now :p I think it's currently $1600 for the speakers and sub only. I got 70% off as a brand representative. Same for the Denon receiver. The current version, the 2313, is around $600. The ProCinema 400/600 series can be had for $500/$800 respectively. And you can run them nicely off a $300 amp. If you can swing the cash I swear by their higher end products. I'm currently in the market for their old BP7006 floor speakers to complete my setup. Then my 5.1 (technically 5.0 currently) will be a 7.2!

On a budget, you can also get the excellent Mirage MX 5.1 set. If you want a big soundstage in a smaller room from tiny speakers, get those. Seriously. Their design does throw off positioning a bit as they're designed to bounce sound in all directions. But man does it sound big coming from a tiny package. I doubt I have to say this, but it absolutely blows away the $2000 Bose 5.1 set for about $600. If you have a Magnolia store near you (now found more often inside of Best Buy than stand alone) stop in and ask for a demo. I'd recommend bringing your own music; nothing gives a better demonstration than music you know inside and out. I should probably state I no longer have any association with Magnloia/Best Buy. :p

If you ever get out to the Ohio area Ev I'll give you a demo.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #231 of 439
Ugh, I have that klipsch rw12-d sub. (it's great) but then my speakers are those 100/pair pioneer sp-bs22-lr. I'm also using a 30 dollar amp. :/ I guess I'm just more of a speaker guy. :D

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #233 of 439
  just took a look at the first post, no way the cop are in that club, they are pretty forward.
could you maybe make some kind of hierarchy/comparison from the ones you tested?

how about the hp100?

I can take the COP down I guess.  I suppose I was fed misinformation about it's soundstage being "among the best in closed cans." :\
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593365/the-soundstage-head-club/105#post_9125705

I've heard from a friend that the Soundmagic HP100 is pretty decent, so I will add that.

Some kind of hierarchy/rating system would be useful, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do it.  Any ideas?  There are so many models (and I've personally only tested so many).  I don't even use IEMs so I just have to take those on faith from recommendations. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #235 of 439
I think the SRH1840's soundstage is good enough for a mention on this list. It's not as big as the AKGs, but it definitely holds its own merits. I've read that it's similar to that of the HD600, and bigger than the HD650. You have both of those listed so IMO these belong in the club...

Also, the 1540 has a very nice soundstage for a closed headphone... almost on par with the HP100

Edit: Oh, and I can also vouch for the SM64. I'm impressed with it and have read that it's on par if not better than the SM3.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #236 of 439
  I think the SRH1840's soundstage is good enough for a mention on this list. It's not as big as the AKGs, but it definitely holds its own merits. I've read that it's similar to that of the HD600, and bigger than the HD650. You have both of those listed so IMO these belong in the club...

Also, the 1540 has a very nice soundstage for a closed headphone... almost on par with the HP100

Edit: Oh, and I can also vouch for the SM64. I'm impressed with it and have read that it's on par if not better than the SM3.

To be honest I completely forgot the Shure 1840 existed until you mentioned you got one.  I suspected the 1540s would be decent in soundstage (and I think I heard Jude mention something about them being decent) so I'll add them.

As always, I have no experience with IEMs so I'll just add the SM64 without looking into it. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #237 of 439
I was going to ask this in the recommendation thread but I figured that a you guys would probably be more knowledgeable on getting a headphone / iem with an excellent soundstage. I currently have a v-moda m80 and had a klipsch x10, and while they are/were pretty good clarity wise, their soundstages left something to be desired (especially the v-moda, which has a little difficulty differentiating between front and back noises imo).

Anyone have glowing recommendations for headphones and iems in the 200-300 range with excellent sound stages?

Also, do I need to get a headphone/amp combo to really get the full experience if I only have a laptop w/ onboard soundcard and an iphone?

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #238 of 439
  I was going to ask this in the recommendation thread but I figured that a you guys would probably be more knowledgeable on getting a headphone / iem with an excellent soundstage. I currently have a v-moda m80 and had a klipsch x10, and while they are/were pretty good clarity wise, their soundstages left something to be desired (especially the v-moda, which has a little difficulty differentiating between front and back noises imo).

Anyone have glowing recommendations for headphones and iems in the 200-300 range with excellent sound stages?

Also, do I need to get a headphone/amp combo to really get the full experience if I only have a laptop w/ onboard soundcard and an iphone?

Can you use open headphones? Or do they have to be closed?

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #240 of 439
  Open are fine with me because I figure my IEMs will fill the closed headphone role (kinda)

Well the HD598 are famous for their wide and airy soundstage at that price point. Competing with them often enough are the ATH900x, AD700x and the Sony MA900, and occasionally DT880 requires quite some degree of amping. A few closed contenders are the K550 and the DT770. Those listed above do not really need amping, one would help too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back