The sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones
Sep 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #406 of 467
From my experience with pro 900, they are rather chameleon-like with stock cable, much more so with recable. But after Kees mod they are quite a lot more forgiving, but not as forgiving as the HFI-2200. It's hard for me to recommend the pro series to consumers, I think they will only be appreciated by people who analyze music for a living or hardcore audiophiles willing to waste a lot of time finding a setup that has the right amount of everything (soundstage, neutrality, etc) and listens to cd quality or better.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #407 of 467
Are you boored today Leeperry. You are all over the place about the Ultrasones again
biggrin.gif

It´s the same in the way that it doesn´t just push the sound down your ear channel. Some headphone angle the drivers to hit your ear the ultrasones have straight drivers displaced to hit pretty much the same spot. That plus the redicrection of the sound behind the metal plate is what I suspect gives the 900 the surround sound. Plugging them did kill the soundstaging quite a bit making them more forward
smily_headphones1.gif

Angled drivers on itself just seem to give a soundstage more similar to speakers.

I actually preferr 5.1 mixes for my 5.1 speakers as well so I preferr the Ultrasone solution obviously.

I am looking at my K701 and I don´t see any signs of angled drivers?

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #408 of 467
no I'm not, where do you see me talking about the Pro750 other than on this thread?

I just wanted to let that guy know that the Pro750 doesn't have angled drivers, that's all.

the Pro750 soundstage is a far cry from the cd1k(angled drivers to death)...the comfort as well, the bass is boomy in comparison, the mids are harsh as can be...well, you get the picture
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #409 of 467
x2 on that again. harsh harsh harsh sound. I recommend the ultrasone proline 750s to those that want a harsh sounding headphone to enjoy and love. Its like those that are addicted to their husbands beating them up. If you want your headphones to commit domestic violence on you, get the 750s

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #410 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on that again. harsh harsh harsh sound. I recommend the ultrasone proline 750s to those that want a harsh sounding headphone to enjoy and love. Its like those that are addicted to their husbands beating them up. If you want your headphones to commit domestic violence on you, get the 750s

Not a very good analogy and could be considered bad taste and inappropriate by many. As a generalisation women caught up in domestic violenece are "not addicted" to it, it is not a choice situation for many.

Jumps off soap box.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #411 of 467
it was just an extreme generalization. Sorry if it offends anyone but its just how I feel about the harshness of the 750s.

As for the domestic violence thing, I know women arent addicted to husbands beating them. My fiances ex husband actually beat her and of course she didn't enjoy it... but as for people liking the 750s that was the first analogy that came to mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #412 of 467
Thanks for the reminder of how differently we each can hear headphones.

I don't find the top Ultrasones harsh after the requisite burn in. They will reveal your source material, and your source. Don't get them if neither are up to par.

I find Ultrasone bass the deepest & most textured of any headphone I've ever heard. See above re: source material & add having the proper amp to control them (and that doesn't mean expensive).

I find Ultrasone's soundstage more true to life than any angled-driver can I've heard save the R10 (that includes the CD3000's, and most of the top Audio-Technicas which all sound "off" or artificial to me).

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #413 of 467
See thats just something I never got. the soundstage... My source and amp were pretty decent. I was using an mhdt havana and the gilmore lite with dps to power the ultrasones. I guess we just have to agree to disagree

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #415 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reminder of how differently we each can hear headphones.

I don't find the top Ultrasones harsh after the requisite burn in. They will reveal your source material, and your source. Don't get them if neither are up to par.[..]

I find Ultrasone's soundstage more true to life than any angled-driver can I've heard save the R10 (that includes the CD3000's, and most of the top Audio-Technicas which all sound "off" or artificial to me).

yeah, I guess I should have gone through some extensive burn-in....but it was as uncomfy as can get anyway
redface.gif

besides, yeah, I guess their soundstage technology is a love/hate thing...it was very 2D to me, very wide but only left/right

the cd1k has a true 180 degrees headstage, which is totally thrilling...the Pro is just like a violent husband(/wife?
biggrin.gif
) to some
devil_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the ultrasone proline 750s to those that want a harsh sounding headphone to enjoy and love. Its like those that are addicted to their husbands beating them up. If you want your headphones to commit domestic violence on you, get the 750s

hahahahahaha, you sir are the troll king!!
bakasan.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #417 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now I understand why the OP was called a shill....there's a lot of them on this forum...whatever it's on purpose or not
benny%20hill.gif

I am not a shill. As a matter of fact I disdain shilling. Yes, I state my opinion with which some may disagree. So be it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard for me to recommend the pro series to consumers, I think they will only be appreciated by people who analyze music for a living...

Analyzing music is one aspect of what I do professionally, haloxt. So, in my case, you seem to be correct in this statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually preferr 5.1 mixes for my 5.1 speakers as well so I preferr the Ultrasone solution obviously.

Ultrasone's don't offer true surround sound even though sometimes the sound stage they produce sounds like surround sound in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Ultrasone bass the deepest & most textured of any headphone I've ever heard. See above re: source material & add having the proper amp to control them (and that doesn't mean expensive).

I find Ultrasone's soundstage more true to life than any angled-driver can I've heard...

I think everyone who has read this forum knows how very much I agree with your comment here, jpelg. Happy Birthday, jpelg!

[size=xx-small]Some additional comments:
[/size]

I have been in situations where I wore the Pro 750 for hours at a time. I am not saying they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn but they aren't the most uncomfortable either. I'm not wanting comfort nearly as much as I'm wanting sound quality.

Right now, as I write this I'm listening to a big band with blaring and wonderful horn sections. I'm listening via the Pro 750. Their reproduction of the sound of this band is "right on". They do not add harshness to the sound.

Let's stop arguing about this. We hear differently. I have tried to analyze why this is and have been unable to come up with a reason for this other than what was previously written "We hear differently".

There's no point in arguing about this anymore. I suggest that everyone just accept the other person's opinions at "face value" and agree to disagree.

This is the first time I've been in these forums for several months. I am amazed to see that the argument about the Pro 750 is still going on even though I haven't been "here". I've heard it said that there is no such thing as bad publicity and that actually any publicity, either good or bad, will actually turn out to be advantageous publicity resulting in greater financial profit. If this is true, when all of the comments (both pro and con) on this thread are taken into consideration, the Ultrasone Pro 750 must be having tremendous success!

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #418 of 467
Welcome back, Peter Pinna. Ultrasone discussions aren't half as fun without you telling people their ears are wrong lol.

Quote:

Let's stop arguing about this. We hear differently. I have tried to analyze why this is and have been unable to come up with a reason for this other than what was previously written "We hear differently".

I think it's at least 50% due to equipment and music played. Most of my equipment has emphasized bass, not a good combo with the pro 900. On some techno songs with emphasized bass it is so overwhelming it would blow out the brains of skullcandy fans.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #419 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome back, Peter Pinna. Ultrasone discussions aren't half as fun without you telling people their ears are wrong

...or the threaded jack is not properly seated in the left cup
floatsmile.png

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #420 of 467
To the best of my recollection I never actually said other's ears are "wrong". What I said, in essence, was that for whatever reasons, different individuals have different perceptions of hearing and some individuals are capable of hearing aspects of sound that others are unable to hear.
I just realized it is possible that by "ears" you were actually referring to the ears themselves instead of using the word "ears" to mean "hearing capability" as is often found in these forums. If you were actually referring to the body part "ears", then, I have been told that there are some ear shapes and sizes which do not fit well into the cups of the Pro 750 as well as some other headphones. I've never had this experience because, apparently, my ears are the right size. But, I can imagine how someone who has very large ears might be less comfortable in certain headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back