The sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #436 of 467
Burn-in, give it time (300Hrs?), the sound will spread abit more and fill the gaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my 750s and have used them for a little while and i dont think I enjoy the sound very much. It's weird...idk if i like it yet because its just totally airy. It's odd...

i made a mistake in not researching the cord, but i am happy it detaches. So far, it's not so good for rock. Freaking awesome for classical and anything sound stage related. But i was hoping for an amazing rock experience, its heavily lacking in rock and metal. I think the Grado 225i may have been the better choice for me, as it was my other choice.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #437 of 467
Some people just don't really want to make any effort to enjoy ultrasone headphones. While they do not have to be anyones favorite headphones... saying they are flat out bad would be entirely false. They do require extensive burn in, are picky about source, and your mind needs to get a feel for the difference in what it is being fed.

Preference does not = facts. I have been very critical of my SR-325i... more so on the actual design, but I won't say it has a bad sound, it's just not a sound I always enjoy, one that is not always fitting. Some people even go so far as to say they are rock headphones... I don't think this is true at all, but they are still very good headphones.

But, if you pay top dollar for a headphone and aren't the most open minded person, and a tad worried you got ripped off or put money in the wrong place, you could understand how people would be quick to make their judgement.

So, as much as I feel ultrasonistas are correct in their observations, they are usually talking to someone who has already made up their mind... Their words of wisdom are falling on deaf ears.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #438 of 467
Quote:

I just got my 750s and have used them for a little while and i dont think I enjoy the sound very much. It's weird...idk if i like it yet because its just totally airy. It's odd...

i made a mistake in not researching the cord, but i am happy it detaches. So far, it's not so good for rock. Freaking awesome for classical and anything sound stage related. But i was hoping for an amazing rock experience, its heavily lacking in rock and metal. I think the Grado 225i may have been the better choice for me, as it was my other choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't listen to 75% of my pop music with ultrasone pro headphones because the soundstage in the recording is so bad.

The unnatural sound of pro headphones don't really go away from what I've tried unless you cotton mod
tongue.gif
they can be helped by changing up the rest of your setup though.

Play music at a moderate volume through the Pro 750 for at least 2 days consecutively.

Assuming that you have at least a reasonably good amplification system, I would like to suggest you do the following: turn off or make neutral your graphic equalizer. Turn off all "special effects" such as Dolby surround and anything that isn't the basic "neutral" sound. I hope you understand what I mean by this.

Now, put on the headphones and listen to some music that involves a large orchestra. Listen and do nothing else. Do not read while listening. Do not permit any distractions. Listen and listen only. Give it plenty of time because maybe, eventually, your brain will begin to "hear" the surround effect, I hope. Perhaps you will hear the drums behind your head. The violins may be to your left but somewhat in front of you. The Tromones may be right in front of you. You might hear some reverberation above your head and the resonance of the cellos below your head in the vicinity of your chest. Several feet behind you and to the left you hear the short burst of a Tympani. You will, perhaps, find yourself in the very middle of the music as if you are one of the musicians playing in the orchestra. This is just an example of what you could hear. Remember, absolute attention must be paid to the music when listening. Do nothing else while listening and you will be more likely to hear and enjoy the Ultrasone sound stage and the surround effect. I hope that doing this will enable you to enjoy your headphones as much as I enjoy mine.
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #439 of 467
I hear it just fine :p I think they are freaking awesome headphones but again, I enjoy a more unnatural sound.

I wish someone would give me some advice on the Grado 225i or 325i vs the pro 750s.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #440 of 467
You are asking people to be critical listeners. The same people who download MP3s cause it's faster and more convient. Some headphones demand this extra attention, and are not as effective as mindless rocking out fun type cans

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #441 of 467
About the Pro 750 and rock music:

I went here:

Amazon.com: Now: Classic Rock: Various Artists: Music

I wanted to hear how the Pro 750 sounded playing different examples of Rock Music. This isn't my music. I mean, this isn't the music I listen to for personal enjoyment. None the less, I wanted to hear the Ultrasone sound with these types of recordings. Not unlike any other type of music, depending on the recording, I could hear the surround effect in varying degrees. Some of the recordings in this collection were not recorded well and the Pro 750 truly reveals those deficiencies. The bass came through strongly without being exaggerated. For what it was, I believe the music sounded like the recording engineers wanted it to sound. It sounded quite "real".

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #442 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are asking people to be critical listeners. The same people who download MP3s cause it's faster and more convient. Some headphones demand this extra attention, and are not as effective as mindless rocking out fun type cans

"...mindless rocking out fun type cans"
That would be a 6-pack of beer, wouldn't it?
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #443 of 467
This is interesting:

iPods and Young People Have Utterly Destroyed Music - Music - Gizmodo

Do you agree?

BTW, swbtf2cheater, the HD600 (which your signature indicates you have in your collection) is not a particularly unnatural sounding headphone. As a matter of fact, it is a very good sounding headphone. While these comments are subjective, I would say the HD 600's sound is quite "natural". I prefer the Pro 750. I can't deny though that the HD 600 is a particularly pleasant sounding headphone. My point here is that it certainly doesn't fit your desire for an unnatural sounding headphone.
In your search for this more unnatural sounding headphone, have you tried Bose?

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #444 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting:

iPods and Young People Have Utterly Destroyed Music - Music - Gizmodo

Do you agree?

BTW, swbtf2cheater, the HD600 (which your signature indicates you have in your collection) is not a particularly unnatural sounding headphone. As a matter of fact, it is a very good sounding headphone. While these comments are subjective, I would say the HD 600's sound is quite "natural". I prefer the Pro 750. I can't deny though that the HD 600 is a particularly pleasant sounding headphone. My point here is that it certainly doesn't fit your desire for an unnatural sounding headphone.
In your search for this more unnatural sounding headphone, have you tried Bose?

Bose is a dirty word around these parts my friend.

I am looking for a main headphone, I dont use my Sennheisers except for my HD 485 lol. I really love the Ultrasone Pro 750s, but they are not as forward as I'd like my main headphones to me. I hear the 225i and 325i are forward sounding. I would really appreciate some advice on the grados compared to the pro 750

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #445 of 467
swbtf2cheater, I currently have RS1 and Edition 8 and have owned Proline 550, Pro900 and MS1 and MS2. I can't compare Pro750 against 225 or 325 as I haven't owned or even heard any of the three, but based on RS1 sig vs Pro900 or even Proline 550, I can say that the Grado is a much more forward in your face headphone. Grado is mid focussed very intense sound with very little soundsatge, airy and distant they ain't. They are a very different sig to the Ultrasone (Pro 900 and 550 as ED8 is different again). It is difficult to descibe sound diffference from headphone to headphone, but if you like the Pro750 but want something more forward, then I could certainly recommend you try the Grado sound.

The 225i is probably a safer bet than the more intense 325i, but this based on my experience with the Alessandros not the two Grados mentioned.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #447 of 467
Quote:

ty

If you like the pro 750 for what they do well upon first impression, why not try selling your HD 600 that are so "horrible" :p. I am sure you could sell those faster... then you would have more time to be enlightened like Peter Pinna is trying to do for you :p.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #449 of 467
While I enjoyed my Pro 750, I opted to sell them and buy sr225i. I just love the crunchy guitar that makes hard rock and metal so great on these cans.
I may look into the Pro 900 one day, but I hav several other cans to purhase first.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #450 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
swbtf2cheater, I currently have RS1 and Edition 8 and have owned Proline 550, Pro900 and MS1 and MS2

I am wondering what your opinion is on the differences between the 550 and the 900? In your experience do you think the ultrasones compare well to the Alessandros? At the moment I am considering Alessandros, ultrasones and also Audio Technica models as they are all seemingly easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back