The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #361 of 698
Quote:
where to buy the mh463 now? they are at 85$ on ebay, weren't they like 37$

I found them on taobao for under $30 without shipping.......and it's been ten days and they still haven't shipped.  I think shipping estimate EMS is like $24, but prices change every day.  I had to use Western Union money transfer that cost an extra $5, the only payment method from the US, but it worked!

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #362 of 698
You can also buy it from aliexpress like I did.  Bought from this seller and he shipped within 3 days of the order.  Ships out of Hong Kong and you can pay via mastercard, etc

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-Somic-MH463-3-5MM-Head-band-Music-DJ-Headphone-Earphone-Headset-MH463-free-shipping/623880419.html

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #364 of 698
Quote:
You can also buy it from aliexpress like I did.  Bought from this seller and he shipped within 3 days of the order.  Ships out of Hong Kong and you can pay via mastercard, etc

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-Somic-MH463-3-5MM-Head-band-Music-DJ-Headphone-Earphone-Headset-MH463-free-shipping/623880419.html

I made my purchase from them a few days ago (since the last one I bought from sent them to Russia accidentally ...), still looking forward to hearing these baby's.
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #365 of 698
Quote:
where to buy the mh463 now? they are at 85$ on ebay, weren't they like 37$

I've got an extra new pair for $45 plus shipping... pm me if interested.  Guaranteed fast shipping from Hong Kong
I can also throw in the Hifiman velours for $20 or leathers for $25 as part of the package and send out the EQ file for the leathers.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 26, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #367 of 698
If anyone is also interested I've got a brand new pair of Somic EFI82MT's for sale for $45 + plus shipping also.

PM me if you're interested. 
smile.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #369 of 698
Quote:

Ok, both leather and velours are in.

Do these plastic disks the pads are attached to come off?

Nevermind, I was dumb and didn't notice the pads were stretched over them.

Ok, pads installed. Test songs will be:

• DJ Fresh / Doc P / Flux Pav - "Louder"
  • Within Temptation - "Lost"
  • Taylor Swift & The Civil Wars - "Safe and Sound"
  • Atomic Tom - "This Is How We Like To End"
  • Bill Withers - "Use Me"
  • Crossfade - "Breathing Slowly [Acoustic]"
  • Five Finger Death Punch - "Coming Down"
  • Five Finger Death Punch - "Remember Everything"

All as FLAC played from Fubar2000 via USB audio, FiiO E17, no EQ.

HIFIMAN Leather

Comfort
  1. More spacious for ears than the Turtle Beach pads
  2. Fit is a bit loose
  3. More pressure on the top of the jaw; definitely can't wear as long as the Turtle Beach pads
  4. Warmer
  5. I'd call it a downgrade because of the pressure on the jaw. Without that it would be a sidegrade in comfort because of the warmth.

Sound
  1. Congested; you lose a lot of the openness that lends depth and soundstage. Separation is muted. Definite roll off of treble.
  2. Bass is messed all the hell up, from sub-bass up to high-bass.
  3. Sound quality becomes more similar to closed phones, but the Uptowns and EFi-82 MTs do that better.
  1. All in all, downgrade in sound quality. I didn't make it very far in my test playlist. No bueno.

HIFIMAN Velour

Comfort
  1. More spacious for ears than the Turtle Beach pads
  2. Have the same "narrow pad" as Turtle Beach pads despite thicker pad walls
  3. Fit a little bit looser than the leather pads, so much looser than the Turtle Beach pads
  4. Can avoid the leather pads' pressure-on-jaw somewhat, but it shows up fairly soon after wearing regardless
  5. Torn between sidegrade and downgrade. While I love the spaciousness for my ears, the pressure means I won't be wearing these for very long.

Sound
  1. Theeeere we go. My separation, uppers, and soundstage is back! Actually, I think they may be an improvement from the Turtle Beach pads, but...
  2. Bass is gone. I mean gone. I checked the E17 to make sure it was plugged in all the way and that I hadn't bumped anything or messed up settings. I think more than anything this is coloring my opinion of the uppers/soundstage/etc.
  3. Overall, downgrade as well.

And just to confirm, I put the Turtle Beach's right back on and relistened. I believe without a doubt the above to be accurate: the leather pads bloated bass and ruined soundstage and, the velours eliminated bass and highlighted soundstage and separation, and the Turtle Beach pads beat both for longer-listening comfort and sound quality.

Interesting to note:

From left to right, Turtle Beach, Hifiman Leather, Hifiman Velours. All pictures taken in the same lighting, the same distance away from the camera, pointed at the same part of the wall, with no flash. The Turtle beach has a slightly less dense fabric than the Hifiman leathers, while the velours have a very low-density fabric.

Here is how the Hifiman pads fit compared to the Turtle Beach's.

Hmmm... If there is better seperation and soundstage with just missing the bass, I think a solution would just be to tape up the vents like the guy with the Hifiman leathers did and ramp up the EQ on the E17 with bass and see how it sounds... I'll do some tests with eq when my MH463 arrives.  I know you call it a downgrade because stock with no EQ is bad without bass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #370 of 698
I did some EQing of the bass while the velours were on and it didn't sound very good. I'll try it again to make sure my memory isn't mistaken. However, to clarify, they are not a downgrade to me because of the bass alone. Both Hifiman pads were less comfortable, downright unwearable after 10 min because of the pressure put on the jaw. This might be mitigated by doing the headband mod and reducing the overall weight of the phones.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #371 of 698
I think the headband mod also loosens up the clamping force as well as weight. It's a solid piece of rubber that seems to be forcing the hp's shape. Taking it out, you'll notice that the band itself is a little flimsy and thin.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #372 of 698
Got the Somic MH463 today, after a two day delay, shipping went to Billings, Montana, before Minnesota??????  First thing I did was put the rubber piece back in the headband.  It looked like crap without it, and if you have a normal size head, with the wings adjusted properly, they stay put really well with them barely touching the top of my head, they feel just like my EFi82 MT, that has a similar build, width, weight to the headband.  Master Troll's are cheap bastards trying to mod everything with cotton balls, LMAO!

They came with Turtle Beach pads, cheap looking and uncomfortable for me, so I went to the Shure 840 pads, sounded the same as the Turtle Beach pad, the 840 pads were more comfortable.  I tried the HE-400 pads, both the pleather and velour, the pleather pads made the MH463 sound veiled, congested, velour bass light, but big soundstage and a lot of detail.  I use the velour HE-400 pads on my Somic EFi82 MT, but I did a cable upgrade on them, so they sound great with the velours.  I did a cable upgrade on the MH464 to a DHC Peptide Hybrid, and wow, did these headphones change.  Bass quantity, quality went way up, much tighter bass, with more details and a very large soundstage.  I tried them with the Turtle Beach pads, HM5 pads, Shure 840 pads, HE-400 pads, since I got these used, no stock pads, but all of these pads still had way too much low end.  I ended up putting the HE-400 velour pads on, and everything is now balanced out, and I am happy with the comfort, not hot feeling.  Since I had the veloiurs on the EFi82, I was/am very happy with the comfort.  Still a lot of bass, more than I normally like but with the huge soundstage, details and balanced sound, I am very happy with the sound, just like I was hoping.  Vocals are very very nice, warm both male and female.  The soundstage is the biggest I have heard on a headphone, including my HD600, HD580 and my Somic EFi 82 MTl.  They are a very nice suprise, and a competitive compliment to my other three headphones.  A very nice clean sound, with lots of details, and a huge soundstage with excellent separation/imaging.  With the wire I am now using, they definately perform up there with above $300 phones!

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #373 of 698
Got the Somic MH463 today, after a two day delay, shipping went to Billings, Montana, before Minnesota??????  First thing I did was put the rubber piece back in the headband.  It looked like crap without it, and if you have a normal size head, with the wings adjusted properly, they stay put really well with them barely touching the top of my head, they feel just like my EFi82 MT, that has a similar build, width, weight to the headband.  Master Troll's are cheap bastards trying to mod everything with cotton balls, LMAO!

They came with Turtle Beach pads, cheap looking and uncomfortable for me, so I went to the Shure 840 pads, sounded the same as the Turtle Beach pad, the 840 pads were more comfortable.  I tried the HE-400 pads, both the pleather and velour, the pleather pads made the MH463 sound veiled, congested, velour bass light, but big soundstage and a lot of detail.  I use the velour HE-400 pads on my Somic EFi82 MT, but I did a cable upgrade on them, so they sound great with the velours.  I did a cable upgrade on the MH464 to a DHC Peptide Hybrid, and wow, did these headphones change.  Bass quantity, quality went way up, much tighter bass, with more details and a very large soundstage.  I tried them with the Turtle Beach pads, HM5 pads, Shure 840 pads, HE-400 pads, since I got these used, no stock pads, but all of these pads still had way too much low end.  I ended up putting the HE-400 velour pads on, and everything is now balanced out, and I am happy with the comfort, not hot feeling.  Since I had the veloiurs on the EFi82, I was/am very happy with the comfort.  Still a lot of bass, more than I normally like but with the huge soundstage, details and balanced sound, I am very happy with the sound, just like I was hoping.  Vocals are very very nice, warm both male and female.  The soundstage is the biggest I have heard on a headphone, including my HD600, HD580 and my Somic EFi 82 MTl.  They are a very nice suprise, and a competitive compliment to my other three headphones.  A very nice clean sound, with lots of details, and a huge soundstage with excellent separation/imaging.  With the wire I am now using, they definately perform up there with above $300 phones!

Interesting food for thought...

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #374 of 698
Quote:

After letting the new cable burn in for a while I switched to the HE-400 pleather pads.  I am bumping the subbass up 4db at 30hz, and reducing the midbass down 4db at 125hz.  This makes for a more balanced sound with very good quality subbass, nice and tight, and lowering the midbass brings out the detail in the mids and highs, so if nothing changes with more burn in of the wire, I think I will be satisfied.  At first with the new cable, the sound was congested, but after 20-30hrs and with the pleather pads, congestion is gone and the soundstage is very big in width and depth.  Imaging is spot on!

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #375 of 698
Quote:
I think the headband mod also loosens up the clamping force as well as weight. It's a solid piece of rubber that seems to be forcing the hp's shape. Taking it out, you'll notice that the band itself is a little flimsy and thin.

I wonder if the headband mod would pair well with the Hifiman pads then, which are a bit larger than the stock and the Turtle Beach pads. Reducing the headband weight would certainly go a ways to making the 463s more comfortable long-term. However, the cups are also fairly heavy (comparing to the SR850s, Uptowns, and EFi's). These are fairly beefy phones in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back