The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #32 of 698
Quote:
Anybody know of any velour pads that fit these? They look like AKG 240 pads might just from the pictures but no way to tell.

If this is any help,

Quote:
The pads measure about 7cm wide by 8cm tall, measured by the middle of the padding (which I assume would be the closest to the diameter of whatever holds the pads in place.  They don't look replaceable though?  At least I don't know how to pull them out.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #33 of 698
Just had a mini meet in Hong Kong with a few head-fi enthusiasts.  Here's what a head-fier has to say on these after auditioning them:

Quote:
[b]b1o2r3i4s5[/b] /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just had a mini meet with joe and tried out his SOMiC MH-something, HiFiMAN RE-0 and HiSoundAudio POPO
Nothing much to say about the IEMs, they both sounded like cheap cheap ear buds to me.
The SOMiC open circumaural headphones however, is a completely different story.....
The sound is balanced overall with excellent sub-bass performance, It's comparable to headphones in the range of $250-300!
I'd probably be getting one of those soon.
The only thing I didn't really like about it is the looks and feel... It just feels plastic-ish...

EDIT: It's SOMiC MH-463

Now the RE0 and Popo are not known to be slouches in the IEM circles...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #35 of 698
Quote:
Just had a mini meet in Hong Kong with a few head-fi enthusiasts.  Here's what a head-fier has to say on these after auditioning them:

Damn it Joe, you are making it REAL hard to not buy these............... if only they look less cheap and as your friend said less plastic feeling, sigh. I got my S500s I am happy, not tempted at all...................
triportsad.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #36 of 698
^ Liar :p

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #37 of 698
Quote:

Geez WAYNE you didn't have to call me out like that, i no lies no lies, promise. heeeeee

These are on my wishlist haha, you happy, not gonna buy them right away though, cuz already have too many cans that i don't know what to do with.
floatsmile.png

edit: good thing they are all cheapo "Giant Killers", pheeew but they are adding up, d'oh!!!

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #38 of 698
These are on my wishlist haha, you happy, not gonna buy them right away though, cuz already have too many cans that i don't know what to do with. :floatsmile:

edit: good thing they are all cheapo "Giant Killers", pheeew but they are adding up, d'oh!!!

+1 +2 lol !

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #39 of 698
Ok, so the pads are smaller than the stock T50RP ones, which means no Shure/Brainwavz pads. Maybe the M50 pads would work on here? If so, that means DT770 velours SHOULD work as well. Hifiman velours need to be tested as well.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #40 of 698
Quote:
So the concern about the ear pads is depth, right? Can you measure how deep the pads are Joe?

On my used pair they stand out about 1.5cm from the earcups.  My friend is a DIY genius, maybe he'll shed some light on disassembling these and fitting better earpads.  Going out to order a pair for him from my shop now since he doesn't want to order them online
gs1000.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Damn it Joe, you are making it REAL hard to not buy these............... if only they look less cheap and as your friend said less plastic feeling, sigh. I got my S500s I am happy, not tempted at all...................
triportsad.gif

I wouldn't be concerned about that at all... they may not be the most stylish but feel very solid to me.  Heck I think they're heavier than the HD580.  The headband is metal inside, as are the back grilles.  Heck the whole earcup is claimed to be aluminium.  Oh and they can also swivel to fold flat for transport.  That was pretty handy when I took them out yesterday for the meet.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 698
Quote:

On my used pair they stand out about 1.5cm from the earcups.  My friend is a DIY genius, maybe he'll shed some light on disassembling these and fitting better earpads.  Going out to order a pair for him from my shop now since he doesn't want to order them online
gs1000.gif

I wouldn't be concerned about that at all... they may not be the most stylish but feel very solid to me.  Heck I think they're heavier than the HD580.  The headband is metal inside, as are the back grilles.  Heck the whole earcup is claimed to be aluminium.  Oh and they can also swivel to fold flat for transport.  That was pretty handy when I took them out yesterday for the meet.

Joe noooooooooooooo you are not making it any easier man!!! LoL

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #42 of 698
Quote:
So the concern about the ear pads is depth, right? Can you measure how deep the pads are Joe?

They're about 18mm deep.

Just got my MH463 today, and I have to say... very impressive for a $45 headphone
biggrin.gif

The pads are removable, but I'm not sure where you'd get better replacement pads.
You could ofcourse make your own if you've got some sewing skills, a sewing machine and some fabric (like I do
wink.gif
)

Some pics for those curious minds: (bye-bye warranty.....)

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #43 of 698
Quote:
They're about 18mm deep.

Just got my MH463 today, and I have to say... very impressive for a $45 headphone
biggrin.gif

The pads are removable, but I'm not sure where you'd get better replacement pads.
You could ofcourse make your own if you've got some sewing skills, a sewing machine and some fabric (like I do
wink.gif
)

Some pics for those curious minds: (bye-bye warranty.....)

how do they sound? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back