The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
May 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #422 of 698
DT990s has better highs but can get shrilly, MH463 has better mids intimate and full. Bass has almost the same impact, dt990s hits harder and is warmer overall in the bass region. MH463's bass is more neutral. I haven't heard the HD650s, only HD600s and from what I recall, they're pretty close in signature but MH463 is bassier, more impact.

May 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #423 of 698
ok and how's the build quality on the mh463. the efi82mt aren't getting any more listening time just because i hate putting them on my head since its plastic crack every move i make. soundstage on the efi82mt ain't wide enought, so i guess the mh463 should be what i'm looking for.

imo dt990 don't have enough lowend extension. the only headphone that satisfied me on the aspect were the dt1350, flat till 20hz :wink:

May 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #425 of 698
Quote:
How do they compare to dt990? Bass extension and mid wise?
How bout the hd650?

I used to have the HD600, currently on the HD650. The MH463 feels less warmer than the 650s. The bass, as MrEleventy put it, is neutral - so much so that switching from the 650 to the MH463 feels like somebody switched off the woofer! The MH463 has good bass but it is not apparent when one switches from the 650s! In my opinion the neutral bass on the 463 do seem to highlight the strength of the headphone - the mids. Beautiful vocals, upclose and intimate and with good warmth in a way reminding me of the HE500. From what I can remember of the HD600s, I believe they were considerably brighter than the 463 (but that could just be my setup!) and lacked some of the latter's warmth. The 463 also seem to be faster than the Senns, don't know if that's just me - but it makes for a good listen.

May 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #426 of 698
It's funny how differently we perceive sound. To my ears bass on 463 is far from neutral. I feel that hd600 has a warmer signature than mh463. Also 463 has more emphasis on the highs. Not treblehappy, just more on a average level compared to hd600.  Mh463 is a weird headphone... It feels that the mids are artificially restricted somehow. It's like they designed drivers with nice mids then some jerk from marketing marched in demanding MOAR BASS. I will propably buy couple of pairs for modding purposes. These headphones have potential. As stock excessive bass makes these headphones pretty much useless to me. For movies these are great though. Bass, enough but not too much detail and good soundstage. I think the soundstage is widest I've heard in any cheap headphone and wider than hd600 has.

May 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #427 of 698
Quote:
It's funny how differently we perceive sound. To my ears bass on 463 is far from neutral. I feel that hd600 has a warmer signature than mh463. Also 463 has more emphasis on the highs. Not treblehappy, just more on a average level compared to hd600.  Mh463 is a weird headphone... It feels that the mids are artificially restricted somehow. It's like they designed drivers with nice mids then some jerk from marketing marched in demanding MOAR BASS. I will propably buy couple of pairs for modding purposes. These headphones have potential. As stock excessive bass makes these headphones pretty much useless to me. For movies these are great though. Bass, enough but not too much detail and good soundstage. I think the soundstage is widest I've heard in any cheap headphone and wider than hd600 has.

^ WoW i am really surprised to keep hearing people say these MH463 have really wide soundstage. Even wider than the HD600s??? The thing that i was least happy with was their soundstage, i mean they are ok, but not as wide as i had expected from a full size open back set of cans.  They are indeed the widest i have heard from a budget sets, but it seems like those Senni HD600/ 650s are not that great if people keep saying these somics are that much similar or even better at certain things.

May 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #428 of 698
Quote:
Quote:

^ WoW i am really surprised to keep hearing people say these MH463 have really wide soundstage. Even wider than the HD600s??? The thing that i was least happy with was their soundstage, i mean they are ok, but not as wide as i had expected from a full size open back set of cans.  They are indeed the widest i have heard from a budget sets, but it seems like those Senni HD600/ 650s are not that great if people keep saying these somics are that much similar or even better at certain things.

What makes the soundstage wide (and deep) on the MH463, is how good the instrament separation, and separate space of the main vocalist, and backup vocals.  I have mine recabled now with DHC Peptide wire, double entry, using Auray velour pads w/stock pad cloth covering the drivers.  Parametric EQ on the low end via JoeBloggs settings!  WOW!  I also have the the Takstar Pro 80, w/Shure 940 velours, DHC Peptide wire, double entry, WOW, WOW!  I also have the Takstar HI2050/HPT9900 w/Beyerdynamic DT880 velours, DHC Peptide wire, double entry!  Just got the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, in the process of rewire with DHC Peptide wire, double entry!  The DT880 has highs that compare to the Hifiman RE-272, WOW!  I have died and gone to heaven, looking down from above!

May 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #429 of 698
The bass thing also confuses me. I mean, they do have some bass if you ask for it, but its far from bloated or bass-heavy. I'd call neutral. There is one interesting thing, though. Idk if it's been mentioned before, but they sound VERY "fast" to me. Fast songs go crazy when put through these. :)
Mine have been burned in for a few hours now, and I think they're still improving a bit. (The difference between 0 and a few hours was extremely obivious)

May 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #430 of 698
Now this is interesting.. How do these things run from a decent source but without an amp, say an old X-Fi XtremeMusic, for example.

May 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #431 of 698
everytime i run into this thread it makes me want to try these out just to compare with my senns.

May 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #432 of 698
Quote:
everytime i run into this thread it makes me want to try these out just to compare with my senns.

I hardly listen to my HD580 and HD600 after getting the MH463, HPT990 and Pro 80's, they are all recabled with DHC Peptide type 2 copper litz!  A good tube amp really makes the difference, but they really stack up very good against the Sennhiesers!

May 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #433 of 698
lol. Here I am trying, so close to purchasing HE400's, and here you guys are, saying this matches up to  HD600/650's?

May 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #434 of 698
Quote:
lol. Here I am trying, so close to purchasing HE400's, and here you guys are, saying this matches up to  HD600/650's?

It all depends on your source and amp, and I happen to like a neutral sound.  Once you find the right source and amp, cabling can make a difference.  To me my HD580's and HD600's, even with upgraded cables, sound a little veiled next to the modded budget phones that I have, but we all hear them differently.  I would someday like to hear the HE400's as well!.

Long term, I am keeping all of the phones that I currently own!

May 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #435 of 698
I found an interesting review of one of the OEMs:http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/review-ifrogz-aura.396101/
I agree with pretty much everything but the sound review. What is described in the review, is exactly how the headphones sound without any burn-in, plugged to a unamped source incaptable of driving them. I was worried after first listening to them, aswell. Invert the review and you'll get how they sound after burn-in.:) As already mentioned before, the (upper) midrange is what makes these shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back