The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
May 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #436 of 698
just skeptical as I've seen a lot of people get them and let them go via the forums.

May 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #437 of 698
Quote:

It all depends on your source and amp, and I happen to like a neutral sound.  Once you find the right source and amp, cabling can make a difference.  To me my HD580's and HD600's, even with upgraded cables, sound a little veiled next to the modded budget phones that I have, but we all hear them differently.  I would someday like to hear the HE400's as well!.

Long term, I am keeping all of the phones that I currently own!

So if I simply plug these into my iPod or eventually an iPod + E17, I won't know what you guys are talking about in regards to the SQ of these things?

May 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #438 of 698
Quote:
Quote:

It all depends on your source and amp, and I happen to like a neutral sound.  Once you find the right source and amp, cabling can make a difference.  To me my HD580's and HD600's, even with upgraded cables, sound a little veiled next to the modded budget phones that I have, but we all hear them differently.  I would someday like to hear the HE400's as well!.

Long term, I am keeping all of the phones that I currently own!

So if I simply plug these into my iPod or eventually an iPod + E17, I won't know what you guys are talking about in regards to the SQ of these things?

They would probably sound fine, but won't compete with higher end phones without mods, rewired, and they do scale up nicely with a good source, DAC and amp.  But the same can be said about the Senn's, source, DAC and amp, are needed to get the best from most headphones.  For me, the changes I made worked.....for me!

May 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #439 of 698
To me, they sound just great plugged to my PC or phone IF I use an amp. The sound without an amp doesn't even come close tbh. I have no idea how they would sound connected to high-end equipment, because I don't own any.

May 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #440 of 698
Quote:
^ WoW i am really surprised to keep hearing people say these MH463 have really wide soundstage. Even wider than the HD600s??? The thing that i was least happy with was their soundstage, i mean they are ok, but not as wide as i had expected from a full size open back set of cans.  They are indeed the widest i have heard from a budget sets, but it seems like those Senni HD600/ 650s are not that great if people keep saying these somics are that much similar or even better at certain things.

In my experience soundstage width is the only thing somics do "better" than sennheiser hd600. Hd600 doesn't have especially wide soundstage for a open back headphone. Compared to k701 it is allmost narrow. Other than the soundstage width mh463 is nowhere comprable to hd600. Infact more I listen to somics, more I dislike it's soundstage. It is artificially wide. I noticed it when listening to some chamber music. Somic's seem to position the players at the side, closest to the listener too far from other musicians. With other music that wideness is nice for outside the head details and stuff like that. But it's too unrealistic for me. hd600, k701,k501 and even some closed back headphones wipe the floor with somics when it comes to real soundstaging, instrument separation and stuff like that. 

EDIT:

I just tried somics with takstar 2050 pads. WOW! The velour pads tamed to bass to the level I like. There is still plenty of bass, but now everything else sounds so much better. It does sound pretty natural indeed. Cymbals are to die for!

May 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #441 of 698
Hm. I just put the 2050 pads on my 463s because of FWFFCLTWJAKX's post. I think the phones improved sonically, but I've also confirmed that the 2050's pads are a bit stiffer; it's not the clamping of the 2050s that caused pressure on the jaw, but the pads themselves. They feel somewhat squishy/soft until you compare them side by side with, say, the Turtle Beach pads.

May 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #442 of 698
I listen to pop and rock from my computer and phone.  I'm ready to buy, but don't know which one to buy.  Which one would be best for me?  

Somic MH463
Somic EFI82MT
Takstar HI2050
Superlux HD-668B

May 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #443 of 698
Yesterday received the Somic MM163 that I got from focalprice for 60$. I didn't have much time to listen to it but from the 10 minutes I had with them, all I can say is WOW!!! I'm not too good with describing sound but I know what I like. I'm not a bass head but I like the bass of these headphones very much. It's slightly elevated but very tight and clear. Other frequencies stay clear too and the bass does not interfere with them.

I want to create a table to put here on head-fi that will gather headphone models of Chinese OEM manufacturers and all their re-branded models. If anyone is interested in contributing information please PM me.

May 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #444 of 698
Tried all the earpads suggested in this thread to replace the stock ones on MH463. The Brainwavz MH5 and the Turtlebeach X12/32 earpads fit those headphones perfectly. I found the Turtlebeach earpads to be more comfortable because they're stiffer than the Brainwavz thus better resisting the clamping force created by the headphone and preventing the cups from touching the ears. Turtlebeach earpads kept my ears cool for long periods of listening while Brainwavz pads made my ears sweat after only a short time of putting the headphones on. Soundwise, Brainwavz earpads sound flat while Turtlebeach earpads have slightly more bass and clarity. I'm not a bass head but in my opinion the Turtlebeach earpads are the best overall earpads for the MH463.

I also tried the Shure 840 and 940 pads which were very loose so I don't suggest using them with those headphones.

May 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #445 of 698
The more I read through the posts on the thread, the more I think the MH463 (Lasmex H75 Pro) I bought may have something wrong with it! I just don't seem to be able to enjoy this headphone as much as I want to..
confused_face(1).gif
. The mids and the highs on these are to die for but, there is something not right in the lower regions! The bass is there - with sub bass as well, but somehow they don't seem to add anything to the overall presentation. I seem to enjoy the sweet mids and highs in this headphone exclusively. Amping doesn't seem to alleviate the problem! Ofcourse the Fiio E11 does add some more to the bass quantity but that still doesn't make it enjoyable. The nice mids and highs seem to be detached from the lower frequencies and "just there" in the wide soundstage. Meanwhile, also picked up the EFi 82 MT (JHP850) and they are much more appealing to me inspite of the cheaper build quality and price!

Haven't done any extensive modding, tried sealing the openings around the driver with tape as suggested in this thread - didn't like the presentation. Will give it a final try with the Turtle beach earpads and then these are going back!

May 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #446 of 698
I had the same issue with them. For me, they weren't very engaging. almost boring and cold. I never got past it even after days of just using them exclusively. When I got the tech pros hpt900, I sold the mh463s.

May 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #447 of 698
You know how much I appreciate tamed bass and detached mids/lows after listening to xb500's... But the bass is there when it's supposed to be. Definitely.

My amp broke and I had to listen to them unamped for a week - never again! With the amp they're exactly what I want. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back