The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Mar 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #196 of 251

I just came across the DAC-3 a couple days ago. Roughly the same price as the Soekris, has batteries, and an optical input but no DSD and is multibit.

From using the iDSD I know battery power is best at keeping things clean but I grew weary of recharging so many devices all the time. Optical is a good option as well to avoid usb noise especially since, imo, DSD isn't really needed for a good sounding R2R dac; 16/44 or higher is fine.

If or when you get a chance to hear the Soekris, it'd be great to read your impressions compared to the DAC-3.

DAC 3 is 100-140 pounds shipped.In broad strokes, I heard the Soekris is more accurate and DAC-3 more fun/character signature style.
He puts the same DAC double the price in his listings for some reason.

Teradak U9 5V USB LPS

is a good and cheap solution for DC power vs your battery charging woes, if you mean for desktop usage.

They provide a quality Y-split cable for power that would cost $65 simply on its own custom made, and iP2 can insert in rear for the data leg into the back of the DAC USB-B port. You can get built a custom USB cable with no 5V pin for the data leg, pull that pin out an existing cable, or simple scotch tape over it.

(annotation from member zilch0md in iBasso PB2 thread of data-leg cable)

Though the iP2 does reduce source power ripple/noise, no 5v pin is just another way to take that element out the picture for the sticklers. I think the data-only lines may still transmit some ripple/noise - so iP2 going in the Y-split cable rear still should do its job along with de-jitter etc.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #197 of 251
Thanks for the info.

Only saw the DAC-3 for $485 USD on ebay. Must be a steal at half that price. Anyway, I only paid $390 USD for the Soekris.

I have plenty of usb cables and adapters including a short, power only cable (with no data pin) and a couple of generic split ones (custom split usb cables are priced far too high). Tried using the split cables a few times with a either a 2nd usb port or a separate linear wall wart. Neither sounded better than direct from my PC.

But my PC's fanless psu has very low ripple on the 5V rail and the motherboard has isolated 5V traces to the rear usb ports specifically for dac use. Those tweaks combined with the Jitterbug and iP2 makes my usb about as clean as possible. I chose the iFi Mercury cable due to the shorter length, lower cost, and single connector in case I need to use it with sources that only have a single usb port.

There are less elegant solutions but, like batteries, I've decided to forgo some tweaks for the ease of use:

Everything chained together as one independent multi-link cable (no external power needed). May eventually switch out the iP2 for a type B version so I can get rid of the adapter (which is good quality though). I'd originally held out for the type A version for direct connection to the iDSD Micro I had at the time and, for now, don't plan to spend another $110 for a 2nd iP2.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #198 of 251
 Those tweaks combined with the Jitterbug and iP2 makes my usb about as clean as possible. I chose the iFi Mercury cable due to the shorter length, lower cost, and single connector in case I need to use it with sources that only have a single usb port.

OK, I got rid of jitterbug when a couple of quite revealing boutique opamps showed it made the treble presentation brittle/icy.

But I'm going OT, it was just a power conditioning idea along with iP2 that may help the Soekris I posted previously.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #199 of 251
  Started listening to the Soekris a couple of days ago. Would've posted impressions earlier but lost a day due to a food allergy temporarily affecting my hearing.

Its easily the most resolving dac I've used (among numerous DS dacs and the iDSD Micro). Micro details that were either missing or difficult to hear with other dacs are now front and center with the Soekris. Tone is fairly neutral thus far.

The headphone output is also surprisingly good. More powerful than I expected but not enough juice to fill out the lows and mids of the T1.2 (which sound too thin at lower volumes and far too bright at higher ones).

Been using it mostly direct with the PM-3 (this might be the best pairing for the Oppo yet). I usually get fatigued over time using full solid-state but not with this combo. There's so little distortion from the dac and headphone out that my patience is limited only by how long I can endure poorer recordings (which the Soekris shows no mercy for).

I may do a review but still letting it burn in for now.

EDIT: the Sony Z7 is also a near perfect pairing with the Soekris.

Curious about the Soekris with the Oppo PM-3. Dou you know how much power is delivered at 26 Ohms? Have you tried the Oppo with the Chord Mojo? If yes, how does it compare? I just need something transportable, although something really portable has an advantage if sound quality is at the same level. The brightness that you have been talking about, is it a plus with the Oppo?

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #200 of 251
  Curious about the Soekris with the Oppo PM-3. Dou you know how much power is delivered at 26 Ohms? Have you tried the Oppo with the Chord Mojo? If yes, how does it compare? I just need something transportable, although something really portable has an advantage if sound quality is at the same level. The brightness that you have been talking about, is it a plus with the Oppo?

Haven't tried the Mojo so I can't really compare them. Mojo does have a battery though.

The PM-3 are very neutral and yes I'd say the tad extra brightness I heard was a plus for them.

Max output power on the Soekris' headphone jack is 3.5V RMS. Even half volume was way too much for the Oppos. It'll drive power hungry headphones as well but they may sound a bit thin.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #201 of 251
Been looking into this brand for a new R2R ladder DAC, specifically the dac1541. Saw this on their site:
 NEW!! * dac1541 * NEW! - 22 April, 2017
dac1541 - expected shipping June 2017 - preorder now -Showing at Axpona 2017 - April 21-23, Chicago USA.

Has anyone here gave this a listen? I'm trying to decide on either Soekris (1541) or Denafrips (Ares), but leaning towards Soekris for the additional functionality. My max budget being around $1,000.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #202 of 251
DAC1101 USD390 / EUR363 http://www.soekris.dk/dac1101.html
Small lightweight USB powered DAC. Available now.

DAC1321 USD490 / EUR460 http://www.soekris.dk/dac1321.html
Entry level single ended 25 bit R-2R sign magnitude DAC without the headphone amplifier.

DAC1421 USD790 /  EUR735 http://www.soekris.dk/dac1421.html
High performance single ended 27 bit R-2R sign magnitude DAC with built-in powerfull headphones amplifier.

No pics yet

DAC1541 USD1190 / EUR 1110 http://www.soekris.dk/dac1541.html
Fully balanced 27 bit R-2R sign magnitude DAC with built-in headphones amplifier.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #203 of 251
Man, just got my 1101 a couple months ago (still working on the review) and now Soekris is opening the flood gates.

The new dacs look pretty nice. Should provide a lot more choices for those seeking ladder dacs this summer.

Looks like the main differences are inputs and outputs, power source, and better THD from lowest price to highest. The 1541 appears to be fully balanced inside and out.

I was hoping one of them would have an i2S input using hdmi though.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #204 of 251
On DAC1541:

- yes, wished they dropped the BNC and have an HDMI for I2S instead.

- Barrel plug for DC input instead an AC plug w/ AC-DC converter so that we could use aftermarket LPS or batteries.

- a Femto clock oscillator.

May 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #208 of 251
really interesting the 1541. and finally a builder based in europe. no custom no expensive shipping

May 10, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #209 of 251
can the smps in DAC1541 be bypassed like Mytek Brooklyn ? I really wish soekris can consider putting in linear power supply / similar better quality DC power supply instead of smps x 3 (12v + 12v + 5v) ?

May 10, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #210 of 251
@Plusco welcome!

Yeah that is what also I am excited about (and a lot of other things). Let me place some things the developer have said from another forum:

User: Damn, it looks like they suspended all sales in the US as of Monday: http://soekris.com/
Soekris: No, the US online shop closed, the EU shop are very much alive and sell worldwide....Btw, Soekris Engineering ApS is looking for a new US distributor / online shop....

User: HDMI for I2S (instead of BNC), Native DSD support, and Crystal Femto Clocks would be nice additions on DAC1541.
Soekris: Don't see any need for I2S over HDMI, not a standard.
Our DAC's do DSD the perfect way, a digital lowpass filter at DSD rate, then volume control and out over our R-2R ladder. With what some call pure DSD you miss the possibility of digital volume control. Most DS DAC's are also multibit, so they're not even pure. Anyway, I don't believe in DSD, DSD is just moving a crappy DS converter from the player to the encoder, still a crappy DS converter you then have no control over....
The dac1541 have a clock generator specified at 0.3 pS jitter, some calls that Femto Clock, we just call it a ultra precise clock....

User: Sure would be neat if @soekris could get one of his DACs and/or DAC/amps to the June meet...
Soekris: I could make a dac1541 loaner available, for measurements, for the SoCal meeting and/or for a tour.... You need to see what a correctly done R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC can do.
I can have a preproduction unit (just some minor mechanical issues) ready in about 2 weeks, or a full production unit in early June.

User: @soekris: Pictures of the dac1541 show an output selector. Can the device output to both headphones and the XLR+RCA at the same time? Does the volume control attenuate both the headphone output and the XLR+RCA jacks? (In other words, are the outputs line-level or preamp?)
Thanks! I would just check the manual, but it doesn't seem to be available yet.
Soekris: The dac1541 have both line and headphones outputs, the output selector switches between the outputs, both are not active at the same time. The volume control works on both but the line output can also be fixed at 2V RMS for use with preamps.

User: If a 1541 is available... I would be happy to measure it as well. The 1321 also appears very interesting.
Soekris: I have plenty of dac1321 prototypes, the electronics are perfect but the mechanics have some minor issues.... I can make one of those available...if you can ignore the mechanics....
I only have two dac1541 prototypes, didn't get enough cases, I need those two for the Munich show. If I get more cases I can make one available..., otherwise it will need to wait to after Munich....
We need to work out the logistics, best would probably be measurements first, then listening test, maybe send it by the SoCal meeting....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back