The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #182 of 251
Started listening to the Soekris a couple of days ago. Would've posted impressions earlier but lost a day due to a food allergy temporarily affecting my hearing.

Its easily the most resolving dac I've used (among numerous DS dacs and the iDSD Micro). Micro details that were either missing or difficult to hear with other dacs are now front and center with the Soekris. Tone is fairly neutral thus far.

The headphone output is also surprisingly good. More powerful than I expected but not enough juice to fill out the lows and mids of the T1.2 (which sound too thin at lower volumes and far too bright at higher ones).

Been using it mostly direct with the PM-3 (this might be the best pairing for the Oppo yet). I usually get fatigued over time using full solid-state but not with this combo. There's so little distortion from the dac and headphone out that my patience is limited only by how long I can endure poorer recordings (which the Soekris shows no mercy for).

I may do a review but still letting it burn in for now.

EDIT: the Sony Z7 is also a near perfect pairing with the Soekris.

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #184 of 251
How are these R2R Ladder DACs different than Schiit Multibit DACs (such as Gumby)?

Isn't it the same thing?

People get confused that "ladder" means "discrete ladder" but the chips in the Schiit multibit DACs contain resistor ladders as much as the DACs with discrete resistor ladders.

No?

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #185 of 251
Soekris DAC 1101 = ready-built.
Great !

Perfect timing to see that photo above, thought they only did DIY kits.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #186 of 251

I may do a review but still letting it burn in for now.

I've had the Soekris Da1101 since January and have really enjoyed it. This week I had my Denafrips Ares delivered, haven't critically listened to Ares yet, still letting it burn in. I really like the Soekris sound, especially that it places vocals and instruments correctly in front of the listener; a real winner at such a low price. Can't really compare it to the Ares yet, but both have an unobstructed clear sound that I think comes from the utilization of R2R. I also have on the way the new R2R Audio-GD Singularity 19. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the R2R. I'll post my impressions of all three on the Denafrips Ares R2R forum someday soon using my living room setup: Maggie 1.7,  McCormack DNA-1 Rev. A, LSA passive pre.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #187 of 251
Look forward to your impression of all three dacs.

After trying bitperfect with the Soekris I can finally say goodbye to DSD transcoding. Everything (including bad recordings that I used to upsample) sounds more musical than I've heard before.

Figured out I needed to give the Soekris at least a couple hours of warm-up but now I just leave it on 24/7.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #188 of 251
  I've had the Soekris Da1101 since January and have really enjoyed it. This week I had my Denafrips Ares delivered, haven't critically listened to Ares yet, still letting it burn in. I really like the Soekris sound, especially that it places vocals and instruments correctly in front of the listener; a real winner at such a low price. Can't really compare it to the Ares yet, but both have an unobstructed clear sound that I think comes from the utilization of R2R. I also have on the way the new R2R Audio-GD Singularity 19. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the R2R. I'll post my impressions of all three on the Denafrips Ares R2R forum someday soon using my living room setup: Maggie 1.7,  McCormack DNA-1 Rev. A, LSA passive pre.

Very much looking forward to your findings 
popcorn.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #190 of 251

Great impressions of both dacs.

I too thought the Soekris was a bit bright sounding but don't have another R2R dac to compare it to. It's brighter than I'm used to but otherwise still neutral, smooth, and not harsh or fatiguing at all (unlike the brighter D-S dacs I've heard).

Been playing a lot of John Mayer lately and I'm amazed at the amount of clarity, detail, and musicality the Soekris puts out. Separation, placement, and soundstage are also top notch. With good recordings it's easy to imagine I was there in the studio (or audience) with the artists; sounds that good.

I also see you'll be getting rid of your Soekris in favor of the Denafrips. Sounds like either is a great choice. My Soekris isn't going anywhere though. I need the smaller size and may have to rely on the built-in headphone amp (which is decent) in the near future.

For now, I can't imagine a smaller, better performing, and more feature packed ladder dac at this price.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #191 of 251

I also see you'll be getting rid of your Soekris in favor of the Denafrips. Sounds like either is a great choice. My Soekris isn't going anywhere though. I need the smaller size and may have to rely on the built-in headphone amp (which is decent) in the near future.

For now, I can't imagine a smaller, better performing, and more feature packed ladder dac at this price.

Putting the Soekris up for sale last night was a difficult decision, it hasn't sold yet so I can always change my mind. In my review I didn't want to criticize either dac because they both offer outstanding sound, regardless of their modest price. But they do have their differences and I decided to choose the Ares because the sound was different that what I've had before.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #193 of 251
  Did you try any usb cleaning/conditioning before the Soekris?

It makes a big difference toward hearing what the dac is capable of.

Good to know, I have the iP2 as well.
Trying the Starting Point Systems DAC-3 before Soekris 1101.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #194 of 251
Good to know, I have the iP2 as well.
Trying the Starting Point Systems DAC-3 before Soekris 1101.

I just came across the DAC-3 a couple days ago. Roughly the same price as the Soekris, has batteries, and an optical input but no DSD and is multibit.

From using the iDSD I know battery power is best at keeping things clean but I grew weary of recharging so many devices all the time. Optical is a good option as well to avoid usb noise especially since, imo, DSD isn't really needed for a good sounding R2R dac; 16/44 or higher is fine.

If or when you get a chance to hear the Soekris, it'd be great to read your impressions compared to the DAC-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back