The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #245 of 251
According to the comments it seems like Soekris dac's more to treble region unlike many other r2r dacs which are bit biased to warm sound.
Does that mean Soekris dacs also sounds like Sabre dacs?
Anyone compared Soekris dac with Denafrips Ares or Metrum Acoustic Flint/Amethyst?

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #246 of 251
Soekris does not sound like Sabre.

Metrum is warm, even relative other R2R implementations. I would personally recommend to stay away from NOS, if you don't know what you are seeking. 90% (or more) prefer OS sound. Metrum is for the smaller percentage, for whom even R2R isn't sufficiently dark. But there are other aspects of NOS, which are more difficult to explain.

Denafrips, I have heard - have the least experience with. It sounded like it had a slight treble etch, which wasn't too aggressive. It was easy to tame by using a slightly relaxed headphone, or even a tube swap (when I heard it, through an experimental tube amplifier, and my then-owned RNHP).

Soekris is not bright - dry and lean perhaps, but also extended in both bass and treble. Highly recommended, especially if you don't know what you're after. It has a balanced sound, which makes for a good foundation.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #247 of 251
Soekris does not sound like Sabre.

Metrum is warm, even relative other R2R implementations. I would personally recommend to stay away from NOS, if you don't know what you are seeking. 90% (or more) prefer OS sound. Metrum is for the smaller percentage, for whom even R2R isn't sufficiently dark. But there are other aspects of NOS, which are more difficult to explain.

Denafrips, I have heard - have the least experience with. It sounded like it had a slight treble etch, which wasn't too aggressive. It was easy to tame by using a slightly relaxed headphone, or even a tube swap (when I heard it, through an experimental tube amplifier, and my then-owned RNHP).

Soekris is not bright - dry and lean perhaps, but also extended in both bass and treble. Highly recommended, especially if you don't know what you're after. It has a balanced sound, which makes for a good foundation.
I'm interested in a dac which can provide low frequencies really well without rolling off because I mostly listen to movie soundtracks albums and EDM music(Hip-Hop&rap). I don't want the dac to add unnecessary bass to the sound but if the audio track has low frequencies it should be able to deliver it effortlessly. Do you think Soekris dacs can do it without issue? Have heard that Denafrips Ares is good in Bass reproduction but I'm bit curious about Soekris.

I'm going to use it with Audeze LCD-2C headphone and Massdrop x THX AAA 789 headphone amp.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #248 of 251
I mostly listen to movie soundtracks albums and EDM music(Hip-Hop&rap).
Funny you should mention these two types of music. During my time listening to the Soekris, I was most often drawn toward these two types of sounds. Not that the Soekris did not play other sounds well, but these two kinds often irritate me more with certain sources. I want to hear all the details in movies - the Soekris is oriented toward details (must be in the filter - but very easy to concentrate on the primary sound source). Sometimes the more digital music is grating, when heard from some DAC sources - again, had few to no issues with Soekris.

Just one opinion, but I liked movie/electronic music through the Soekris.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #250 of 251
Funny you should mention these two types of music. During my time listening to the Soekris, I was most often drawn toward these two types of sounds. Not that the Soekris did not play other sounds well, but these two kinds often irritate me more with certain sources. I want to hear all the details in movies - the Soekris is oriented toward details (must be in the filter - but very easy to concentrate on the primary sound source). Sometimes the more digital music is grating, when heard from some DAC sources - again, had few to no issues with Soekris.

Just one opinion, but I liked movie/electronic music through the Soekris.
That's great. Then I definitely consider Soekris DAC.
In the bizzaro world most likely but then again Abraham Lincoln was supposedly gay so ya never know, anyhow your question was very funny so thank you for that. I own 1101 for the record ^^
Sorry if I said anything wrong. I'm very new to this subject and I have no experience in r2r dacs. And I'm not that good in English, so sorry if I made a mistake in explaining.
BTW, could you explain the sound quality of your 1101, I'm considering to buy Soekris dac1321.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #251 of 251
Hello to everyone. Just aquired second hand Soekris 1421 and want to install that pack of nice custom filters (include NOS filter), what I heard many times about. Can anyone share the link to it and provide some tutorial regarding installation procedure?
Thank you a lot in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back