The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #92 of 251
Saw that prebuilt version too, it surely looks interesting. Is it USB powered?

Yep, USB powered so that it's more portable. However, I believe the power is then pulled off and filtered heavily. 

All-in-all it was an impressive little unit for only $650. 

However, with the new Chord Mojo coming to town with the same functionality, but battery powered and a Chord-implemented Xilinx FPGA DAC chip and priced at only $599 in the US it could give them a run for their money. Looking forward to the opportunity to hear both. 

Cheers 

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #94 of 251
Eagerly awaiting the release of the dac1101. I'm hoping to get one shortly after it is released. I'm banking on it becoming my one-stop-shop for work. Gotta have that R-2R sound!

Me too. However They've been a bit radio silent lately. Cheers

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #97 of 251
Ok, I might be blind, but could smb tell me smth
smile.gif
Is this thing going to have built-in battery or not?

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #98 of 251
Ok, I might be blind, but could smb tell me smth:smile: Is this thing going to have built-in battery or not?

Nope, the DAC 1011 is powered by the USB line. Cheers

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #100 of 251

Too bad. I thought it's going to be a portable dac/amp
frown.gif

It's more transportable, meaning it will power itself off of whatever device you're playing it from, as long as that device can provide the 5V power across the USB line. Or alternatively you could use a battery connected via USB cable to a USB hub to provide the power if you're so included and technically proficient. I would see the main use-case being with your computer, especially a laptop, where the computer can provide the power. They had it connected to a laptop at their RMAF/CanJam booth. Cheers

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #101 of 251
  It's more transportable, meaning it will power itself off of whatever device you're playing it from, as long as that device can provide the 5V power across the USB line. Or alternatively you could use a battery connected via USB cable to a USB hub to provide the power if you're so included and technically proficient.

Ok, let's imagine smb will use this brick as a portable dac/amp. Where is a digital input? How can you feed music to the DAC 1011?

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #102 of 251
Ok, let's imagine smb will use this brick as a portable dac/amp. Where is a digital input? How can you feed music to the DAC 1011?

One USB cable feeds it both power and signal.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #103 of 251
  This look promised enough....I guess I will saving for this, my Geek Pulse takes forever to ship....

Posted this one year ago and....too bad, my Geek Pulse still nowhere to be seen, not even a shipping notice. At this point my interest in Geek Pulse is pretty much died no matter how good it is. So....I'm looking for a new DAC, R2R look like a new good choice but Schiit Yggdrasil's import to Japan will cost an arm or leg. Luckily, while browsing Geek Pulse thread I came across uncola's post about Alvin is taking a new group order, a DAC assembled with Soekris R2R and Amanero USB module...based from his Jay Audio LPS and the new DAC's signal flow, I think he knows his stuff well enough.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=223862.0
From customers view point who wants to try new technologies but doesn't have time/ability to DIY, Alvin's DAC look like a very good choice to see how well Soekris compared with Sabre DAC chip.
Beside, 1240$ for a DAC like this look like a good deal to me, it's also paired with an amp similar to Lehmann Black Cube amplifier. The only cons is it doesn't have XLR connection but I can always hook another balanced amp to it.
He limited to only 20 orders because that's all Soekris DAC he can buy, the dam1021 0.02% is already out of stock and not restock until mid March, so take a look if you interested in Soekris DAC.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #104 of 251
Anybody here build a dam1021?  I'm interested in building this DAC with Luckit WaveIO card and headphone and XLR outs. I would like to power it with DC from external LPS.  Just started to look into this and I would like to hear other's suggestions..

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #105 of 251
Anybody here build a dam1021?  I'm interested in building this DAC with Luckit WaveIO card and headphone and XLR outs. I would like to power it with DC from external LPS.  Just started to look into this and I would like to hear other's suggestions..

I'm actually in the process of doing so right now. Doing a dual dam1021 0.02% models.
And normundss pcb for input/switch and mute, along with waveIO and many other tid bits that will be a surprise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back