The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Jun 2, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #61 of 251
Oh, sorry! Must be getting tired!

In any case - the new filters have brought the DAC to a new level, compared to what was available with stock filters!

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #63 of 251
  Oh, sorry! Must be getting tired!

In any case - the new filters have brought the DAC to a new level, compared to what was available with stock filters!

Okay, that sounds great!
Did you compare yours with other dac's (sq wise)?

Regards,

Alex

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #64 of 251
Well, it walked over my Stello DA-100 Siggy resolution wise. Pretty sure that with the right filters it can compete with best. It makes many Delta Sigma dacs sound bad, because it lacks many artifacts commonly associated with them.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #65 of 251
  Well, it walked over my Stello DA-100 Siggy resolution wise. Pretty sure that with the right filters it can compete with best. It makes many Delta Sigma dacs sound bad, because it lacks many artifacts commonly associated with them.

About the filters, is it something you have to accomplish yourself, or is it a newer version pcb with newer filter design?

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #67 of 251
  You update them via serial cable. No need to do any hardware mods for that.

That sounds great!

How do you use your DAM1021, with buffered output, or straight from the dac?

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #69 of 251
  Straight from the ladder, I have no need for a buffered output and the stock buffer seems to lose a bit of sound quality.

I have read some pages about DAM1021 at hifiduino, there's one point I would prefer if Soekris would made this possible:

Feeding with several external psu's WITHOUT using the onboard psu stages.

The onboard 3.3V regulater has almost 200uV noise, which is not that good at all. It would be very nice to remove it
and replace it with external 0.8uV noise regulator (from diyinhk).

I really think this dac could perform much much better when using adequate and 2015 up to date regulators.

For the moment the 0.01% version is out of stock, I will buy one if it's in stock again and will try mod it so i can feed it with very clean power.

Cheers,
Alex

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #70 of 251
Thoughts on using a Raspberry Pi's I2S output into this DAC?

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #71 of 251
Well, I started a blog detailing development of a custom DAC built around this board here. Please do take a look :)

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #72 of 251

Compared to other R2R? do you still have parasound?

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #75 of 251
Has anyone made a  Soekris DAC with AES input and XLR output?

No but should be easy. Do you want/need true balanced out or can deal with the opamp buffer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back