The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Mar 28, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #109 of 251
  I am curious about this DAC... I didn't find any reviews yet. Has anyone listen to the consumer version or a DIY version? How it compares to the Chrod Mojo?

Thank you!

@morinu- Great question. I spent some good time listening to the DAC1101 at RMAF last year and it was great - amazing bang-for-the-buck, especially for an R2R DAC. However, the Mojo came out soon after that point (I think I got it less than a month after RMAF). Would be awesome to compare them side-by-side, but haven't had the chance. Reached out to Soren at Soerkis a number of times along the way but they appeared to have gone radio silent. I wondered if they had gone under contract with some other audio company for exclusive use of their DAC board? Cheers

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #111 of 251
  Anybody here build a dam1021?  I'm interested in building this DAC with Luckit WaveIO card and headphone and XLR outs. I would like to power it with DC from external LPS.  Just started to look into this and I would like to hear other's suggestions..

Yep, I have one myself that I built a bit ago and it's quite wonderful. Unfortunately, I have to sell mine for financial reasons, but it really is a great unit.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #112 of 251
@morinu
- Great question. I spent some good time listening to the DAC1101 at RMAF last year and it was great - amazing bang-for-the-buck, especially for an R2R DAC. However, the Mojo came out soon after that point (I think I got it less than a month after RMAF). Would be awesome to compare them side-by-side, but haven't had the chance. Reached out to Soren at Soerkis a number of times along the way but they appeared to have gone radio silent. I wondered if they had gone under contract with some other audio company for exclusive use of their DAC board? Cheers

I have a production dac1101 coming for review and I own the Mojo. It's one of the DACs I'll be using for comparisons.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #113 of 251
I have a production dac1101 coming for review and I own the Mojo. It's one of the DACs I'll be using for comparisons.

I would love to hear your thoughts!
I'm still building my dual dam1021 setup. It's going to be epic with my BOM. Top notch components.
But I hope you say the soekris is more musical than the mojo. I felt the mojo was a touch bright to my ears: not quite as much like schiit products though. I didn't feel my ears bleeding with the mojo, but it was a touch bright, even with my HeX! I passed on buying the mojo for that very reason.
I may pick up a dam1101 if it sounds like I think it will.
It should be extremely detailed and musical with an excellent sound stage.
I am risking a lot building this project but have a feeling it will be a good choice. I will be comparing it with my master11 from audio-gd.
The price of the dam1101 seems quite fair! Too bad it's not that portable to be honest... But a 28bit discrete r2r in that size package is worth it!
I also noticed it seems to be using NDK's for its clocks!!! That is a big plus!!! Can't get anything better IMHO.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #114 of 251
Yep, I have one myself that I built a bit ago and it's quite wonderful. Unfortunately, I have to sell mine for financial reasons, but it really is a great unit.

I'm so sorry to hear you have to sell it! Would love to hear you describe its sound /soundstage and bass mid and highs. Along with any comparisons? Can you share some photos of your build? What components did you choose and what price might you be asking? :)
What revision board?

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #115 of 251
The dac1101 has finally started shipping. I should have one in my hands in the next week or two.

Did you sell your m11 to get this? :frowning2:
I would love to hear your opinion since you know the m11 so well!

I will share more about my build as it progresses. I'd you're interested.
So far... Just some teaser.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #116 of 251
I'm so sorry to hear you have to sell it! Would love to hear you describe its sound /soundstage and bass mid and highs. Along with any comparisons? Can you share some photos of your build? What components did you choose and what price might you be asking?
smily_headphones1.gif

What revision board?

Well, I'm coming from a Buffalo 3 DAC with Legato output stage. The Soekris is definitely warmer sounding and less analytical. The overall sound is a pleasure to listen to and very easy sounding, as opposed to the incredible detail emphasis of the Buffalo.

I went with a budget-oriented build as I didn't know whether I would like this DAC or not, so no $400+ that I usually invest into casework for my builds. The power supply is a simple but good LM317/LM337 dual regulated psu, running around +/- 12V and the chassis is a Hammond 1455 series. This is the Rev 2 board.

Basically selling it at cost of parts. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802813/soekris-dac-high-end-fully-discrete-balanced-r2r-dac

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #118 of 251

How things change in a day! So I'll also be getting a production DAC1101 from Soekris for review, and will be overseeing a short "tour" with a number of experienced HF members. More on this later but a shout out to Soren who followed up rapidly and worked with me to set this up.

Very excited to also be comparing the DAC1101 with the Mojo, and will throw the Geek Out V2+ Inf into the mix as well. 

Cheers

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #119 of 251
  How things change in a day! So I'll also be getting a production DAC1101 from Soekris for review, and will be overseeing a short "tour" with a number of experienced HF members. More on this later but a shout out to Soren who followed up rapidly and worked with me to set this up.

Very excited to also be comparing the DAC1101 with the Mojo, and will throw the Geek Out V2+ Inf into the mix as well. 

Cheers

Great to hear and I am looking forward to your review. I am between the DAC1101, a custom build like bimmer100 is doing and the Mojo. I want/need a warm sound since I get ringing in my ears when it is too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back