The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jun 23, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #5,536 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick response. These are absolutely gorgeous though.

The 800s or the 7000s would be a very poor choice for commuting. Going off-topic for just a minute, it sounds like you want an excellent closed headphone or iem that doesn't require an amp to sound good. Since you seem to have a bit of a budget, for iems, why not check out some threads on many of the custom models available (I love my UE11s for isolation, and am getting JH13s) or even some quality universal fits? If you're looking for high-quality sound in a portable headphone, you can't do better than the ESW10, imo, though the ESW9 is also quite good and might be more readily available (the 10 is limited edition, and I'm not sure if there are any/many left or where). They don't isolate as well as iems, but they have other advantages.

ah...the 9 and 10s seem to be available here: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW10JPN Limited Black Cherry Wood Portable Headphones

Another head-fier had posted this link. I personally know nothing about the site, and can't recommend them one way or another.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #5,538 of 5,928
I use at-esw9s-they are closed, or if you wanta spend, i hear the Edition 8 by ultrasone is a closed portable headphone in the upper reaches. I compared them to the Edition 9s though and a least unburned in they didn't sound as good.
The hd800 no way in public.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #5,539 of 5,928
If you are going to be on a train, get IEMs. I tried ESW10JPNs on a train only once, and that'll be the only time ever.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #5,540 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use at-esw9s-they are closed, or if you wanta spend, i hear the Edition 8 by ultrasone is a closed portable headphone in the upper reaches. I compared them to the Edition 9s though and a least unburned in they didn't sound as good.
The hd800 no way in public.

Wow, those Edition 8's are incredible also. With the closed design I definitely like that a bit better. For those telling me to get IEM's, that's all Ive ever used. I'm getting tired of them and their less than stellar comfort levels over longer periods of use. Plus I'm getting a bit more paranoid as I get older of having the buds sealing off my ear canal and being so close to my eardrums.

All this being said, I don't want the thread to get off topic of the HD800s so I have a question for those who have these. Why do you use these when you can have actual home audio speakers giving you a much better soundstage? Since you can apparently only use these at home and when its quiet and everyone around you will be able to hear what you hear anyway?

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #5,541 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those Edition 8's are incredible also. With the closed design I definitely like that a bit better. For those telling me to get IEM's, that's all Ive ever used. I'm getting tired of them and their less than stellar comfort levels over longer periods of use. Plus I'm getting a bit more paranoid as I get older of having the buds sealing off my ear canal and being so close to my eardrums.

All this being said, I don't want the thread to get off topic of the HD800s so I have a question for those who have these. Why do you use these when you can have actual home audio speakers giving you a much better soundstage? Since you can apparently only use these at home and when its quiet and everyone around you will be able to hear what you hear anyway?

1) get customs, they should be more comfortable
2) It's about how loud you listen, not how close the IEM transducer is to your eardrum. Just keep it at a reasonable level and you should be ok.
3) Speakers require a dedicated listening room, and they easily annoy or bother neighbors and people in the house. Headphones don't. There's a place for both, and headphones don't require you to sit in the "sweet spot".

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #5,542 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, open means those around you can hear what you're listening to as well. No, you wouldn't want to use open headphones while on a train, and you certainly wouldn't want to use the HD800 for commuting given their size and especially their cost.

I Do! On the train. Everyday. You have to watch the levels a bit, but there is enough isolation that it's not really a problem.

I bought them to enjoy, not to lock up in a vault. Their cost is not trivial and I am careful with them, but if I don't use them when I want, I am not getting full value for my money.

Which brings up a pet peeve. The box the HD-800 comes in is nice but BIG, too big to carry around generally. Why no pouch/bag, Sennheiser?

I have to subject them to the humiliation of being stored in an AKG bag...
k701smile.gif
only a joke guys...

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #5,543 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which brings up a pet peeve. The box the HD-800 comes in is nice but BIG, too big to carry around generally. Why no pouch/bag, Sennheiser?

The box protects the headphones in transit to you and is a good place to store them in the home away from dust.

However, Sennheiser do various cases and bags for headphones - I keep my HD 25-1 in a tough drawstring bag which, I think, should suit the HD 800 as well.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #5,544 of 5,928
Quote:

I have to subject them to the humiliation of being stored in an AKG bag...
k701smile.gif
only a joke guys...

OOOh, thems fightin' wordz!
angry_face.gif

*banjo playin in the background*

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #5,545 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OOOh, thems fightin' wordz!
angry_face.gif

*banjo playin in the background*

Ooops, gotta go.
frown.gif

I should quickly point out that some of my best headphones are AKG's...
L3000.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5,546 of 5,928
Quote:

L3000.gif

Actually, my first headphones were AKG - the K60.

Don't use them now, of course
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #5,547 of 5,928
Quote:

Ooops, gotta go.
frown.gif

L3000.gif

Hmmm?

Honestly, just resurrecting the greatest prerelease thread since I've been on head-fi.

Thanks Jude....You do have truly Golden ears.

Loving the Hd800s...guess I got a lucky SN...no clickin, clackin or finish problems.

Only awwwwwweee!

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #5,549 of 5,928
A lot of the choice depends on your listening preferences. I've enjoyed the GS1000 for a couple of years and now I'm enjoying the HD800.
The GS1000 has a slightly more intimate presentation with slightly greater warmth. The HD800 is more transparent. It renders details and soundstage more accurately and in a more neutral fashion.
I listen mostly to classical music and the HD800's transparency is tremendous for pulling out all the details. However, there have been some recordings on which the GS1000 has a sweeter more charming overall presentation such as on some vocal or choral works.
Overall I can live with the HD800 for all my listening and will be selling the GS1000.
Best wishes on satisfying your desires either way.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #5,550 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of the choice depends on your listening preferences. I've enjoyed the GS1000 for a couple of years and now I'm enjoying the HD800.
The GS1000 has a slightly more intimate presentation with slightly greater warmth. The HD800 is more transparent. It renders details and soundstage more accurately and in a more neutral fashion.
I listen mostly to classical music and the HD800's transparency is tremendous for pulling out all the details. However, there have been some recordings on which the GS1000 has a sweeter more charming overall presentation such as on some vocal or choral works.
Overall I can live with the HD800 for all my listening and will be selling the GS1000.
Best wishes on satisfying your desires either way.

That is great feedback for me as I will hopefully be at the same decision point when my HD800s arrive in the next week or so.

However, I have the GS1000s with the Black Dragon cable and the cable took them to new heights, certainly addressing the treble spikiness and the midrange being a bit laid back.

I am thinking that the HD800 is going to have to be stunningly good to beat out the GS1000/Black Dragon combination, but we shall see
biggrin.gif

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back