The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jun 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #5,506 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped seriously considering today and ordered a pair from HeadRoom. Yes, even after saying I wouldn't buy them and went and bought speakers instead.
tongue.gif

Hahaha The same thing happened to me. I was eagerly wanted to buy the 800. Then a friend of mine was about to sell me his gallo reference. He changed his mind, and I ended up buying a pair of Tidal Pianos. No money for buying the headphones left for me!! The next couple of years will be years of meditation and diet powdered with sound blissfulness!!

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #5,507 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by slackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaah great!
biggrin.gif

A headphone that is neutral and both analytical and musical at thesame time.
I have a small home studio and it sounds like this is the perfect studio headphone.

I really disliked the HD650 for making even crappy recorded music sound good.
And disliked the K701 even more for making even really well recorded music sound unmusical / not like how I would have mixed it at all.
Perhaps the HD800 will be the first headphone that will even allow one to mix on and have those mixes also sound great on regular speakers.

Here's the little write up I did on the hi end forum regarding the HD800s. It was a comparison with the K1000s, but I wrote it from a sound production perspective.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/i...hd800s-429527/

In short, I expect that they would make excellent monitors. But I'd have to try them out for that purpose before I could say for sure.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5,508 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In short, I expect that they would make excellent monitors. But I'd have to try them out for that purpose before I could say for sure.

Please *do* try them out like this.

I *have* used them to listen to original 24/96 masters that I recorded.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #5,509 of 5,928
Just got my HD800's, and my first impressions are OVERWHELMINGLY positive. SN #00963

Some thoughts:
-Remarkably balanced sound, no one frequency range is favored, lows, mids, and highs are all conveyed as equals, no preferential treatment for any of them.

-The definition of the drivers is amazing, blowing away my HD650's and my D7000's by a large margin. Female vocals in particular sound great, and drums sound like drums, as opposed to drum sounds...does that last part make sense? lol

-Bass is ultra controlled and has magnificent impact, and actually has better bass definition than my D7000's. To make a comparison with the bass and the Goldie Locks and the Three Bears children's story, the HD650 porridge is too cold, the D7000 porridge is too hot, but the HD800's are just right.

-Mids are amazingly lush and warm, with a distinct difference to the warmth found with the HD650's and much different to the warmth in the D7000's. The "veil" is gone, and couldn't be happier. I actually liked the "veil", but the HD800's sound so much more realistic, almost like you're there.

-Highs are sweet, and in no way harsh. There is part in Here's That Rainy Day, at about the :24 second mark, that I would usually hate because it was so shrill, and harsh with my other headphones and studio monitors, but the HD800's sound controlled and, well, fantastic.

-The HD800's are heavy in the hand compared to both the 650's and the 7000's, but when worn they are very, very comfortable. I've read it before, but couldn't believe it until I tried it myself, you actually can forget that you're wearing them, that's how comfortable they are.

-They feel solidly built, and the plastics don't have the same feel of the plastics on the 650's. They look, and feel more like metal than plastic.

I'm going to burn them in for a few hundred hours so I can really here what they can do.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #5,510 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look like SA5000's.

And from Judes (very good) listening impressions, they sound like they're a Sennheiser version of AD2000's.

Agreed - the various comments sure do make it sound like they are the Sennheiser version of the ATH AD2000s.

Has anyone done such a comparison?

But... the descriptions of the HD800s to this point could be of the AD2000s, with the possibility that the HD800s have a bit larger soundstage - though the AD2000s soundstage depends a lot on the source and amp, and the "pad mod" - much larger than often reported.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #5,511 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please *do* try them out like this.

I *have* used them to listen to original 24/96 masters that I recorded.

Listening to my mixes was a pleasure. The 800s sounded like an open window to the recordings. But I didn't have a chance to play with my mixes while wearing them. I would like like to have heard how sensitive they are to small tweaks. I'd be shocked if they didn't excel in this regard though.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #5,513 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by frustrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you buy the 800s if you want them now? Or are they a specialty 2 month wait item everywhere?

HeadRoom has em in stock.

www.headphone.com

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5,516 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to hear it by my ear.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
smile_phones.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #5,519 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to hear it by my ear.

You're not the only one.
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #5,520 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by frustrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you buy the 800s if you want them now? Or are they a specialty 2 month wait item everywhere?

It depends on what country you are in - you don't say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back