The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jun 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #5,491 of 5,928
DC5Zilla,

Yeah, I can see how you can say that the HD800 sounds a bit like the DT880. A much better one, less sibilant.

(I imagine getting crucified for saying this.)

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #5,492 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also noticed bunch of fiber/lint under the dust cover - coming from the edge of the dust cover which is just loosely cut without being "hemmed" in any way. It's somewhat annoying and I'm afraid the lint/fiber are going to end up on the transducer and affect sound production eventually.

Any pics of this? I believe this is the second report of this so far. If this is a common problem I suspect other HD800 owners would notice it by now as well.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #5,493 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be very reluctant to "give them back" to the FedEx guy, sounds like a scam.

Seems like one to me, too. I've been trying to play phone tag with Flavio, so I can find out where and if there's a scam going on. In any case, I don't feel comfortable parting with a primo set of phones. FedEx has my digital signature; what else do they need?

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5,494 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like one to me, too. I've been trying to play phone tag with Flavio, so I can find out where and if there's a scam going on. In any case, I don't feel comfortable parting with a primo set of phones. FedEx has my digital signature; what else do they need?

What did FedEx say when you called them?

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #5,495 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the HD800's via FedEx. They sound great, a nice hybrid of the deep-sounding HD650 and richly detailed upper-end phones.

Then, another FedEx guy came to my doorstep, wanting me to return the phones. No, I haven't the slightest idea why. But since the package is already open, and there's no reason why these would need to be returned, one only wonders.

What's going on here? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Wow, that does sound like a scam. Was a FedEx truck accompanying him? If not, then I guess it wouldn't be too hard to follow a delivery truck around, wait some time after the delivery has been made, then ask for it back in a similar uniform.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5,496 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also noticed bunch of fiber/lint under the dust cover - coming from the edge of the dust cover which is just loosely cut without being "hemmed" in any way. It's somewhat annoying and I'm afraid the lint/fiber are going to end up on the transducer and affect sound production eventually.

Glad you noticed this too. John, please let Sennheiser know about this issue as well (because you didn't mention it in your reply to me, but that may have been the wine's fault.)
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #5,497 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any pics of this? I believe this is the second report of this so far. If this is a common problem I suspect other HD800 owners would notice it by now as well.

Pull your dust covers out and see for yourself. This will not be a one-off problem. All the dust covers are cut the same way and shed around the edges. Rub them and you will see.

Like I've also mentioned, I'd like Sennheiser to lose the raised logo too at the same time they manufacture replacement dust covers. It rubs against my ear tips, and I'm sure anyone else who has average to large size ears.

It's not a question of if but when. They will undoubtedly get reports of this from more people and eventually the lint will get into the driver assembly and cause vibrations on the driver. Also, if these dust covers are washable they will eventually start falling apart around the edges since nothing is holding the fabric in place. It's just like if you cut your t-shirt in half; the threads will start unraveling.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #5,498 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pull your dust covers out and see for yourself.

Well, I would if I had the HD800.
biggrin.gif

I've been seriously considering them though so I'm eager to hear about any potential problems such as this one and that spring-like sound some people are reporting.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #5,502 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
greggf,

The 800 IS actually musical IMO, you just need to feed it with a very good quality version of your music.

I felt some of my electronic music was a little... meh/painful at first, then I found some good recordings and it got my foot tapping... now we have music!!!

It is really make or break on some tracks for me. Sometimes its dull-lifeless/2-D while other times it comes right alive. It has all been quality of the track dependent.

Aaah great!
biggrin.gif

I was hoping the HD800 would be like this.
I got thesame idea from several other reviews, but you say it most clearly.
For me this is exactly what I want.

A headphone that is neutral and both analytical and musical at thesame time.
I have a small home studio and it sounds like this is the perfect studio headphone.

I really disliked the HD650 for making even crappy recorded music sound good.
And disliked the K701 even more for making even really well recorded music sound unmusical / not like how I would have mixed it at all.
Perhaps the HD800 will be the first headphone that will even allow one to mix on and have those mixes also sound great on regular speakers.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #5,504 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would if I had the HD800.
biggrin.gif

I've been seriously considering them though so I'm eager to hear about any potential problems such as this one and that spring-like sound some people are reporting.

I stopped seriously considering today and ordered a pair from HeadRoom. Yes, even after saying I wouldn't buy them and went and bought speakers instead.
tongue.gif

Oh well.

But the HD-800s sounded terrific at CanJam and I got to thinking that I have too many headphones. So last night, I put some up for sale and the HD-800 should be a wash. Fewer headphones and one I enjoy more should, hopefully, work out well. I'm a little nervous letting go of four pairs I really enjoyed, but they're models I could buy again if I wanted to.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #5,505 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped seriously considering today and ordered a pair from HeadRoom. Yes, even after saying I wouldn't buy them and went and bought speakers instead.
tongue.gif

Oh well.

But the HD-800s sounded terrific at CanJam and I got to thinking that I have too many headphones. So last night, I put some up for sale and the HD-800 should be a wash. Fewer headphones and one I enjoy more should, hopefully, work out well. I'm a little nervous letting go of four pairs I really enjoyed, but they're models I could buy again if I wanted to.

Hope it fairs well for you
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back