The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #5,251 of 5,928
Objection. Leading the witness!
wink.gif

May 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #5,252 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not read through all 350 pages, so I apologise for this question...
I read some thread discussing that the body of the HD800s is spray painted plastic? Is this true? Because I always thought it was metal..

It's an inert hi-tech Leona polymer - metal can resonate and is not such a good material for this purpose.

May 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #5,254 of 5,928
Here in Holland I found a store where they sell them for 895 euroos.
edit:That's $1250,49 current rate.

May 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #5,255 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not read through all 350 pages, so I apologise for this question...
I read some thread discussing that the body of the HD800s is spray painted plastic? Is this true? Because I always thought it was metal..

Uh, that is the subject of a 35 page thread.
angry_face.gif

May 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #5,256 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Im guessing HD800 is the closest to the Orpheus and baby orpheus that can ever be attained NEW.

The Orpheus and baby Orpheus are as different as Chardonnay and Pinot Noir!
I don't think that the HD800 (or any headphone for that matter) can be considered close in anyway to both headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's amazing.
if they read head fi then they would know there is enough market.
plus is 10 times bigger than a few years ago.
plus Sennheiser ang Grado are releasing headphones that cost 1000$ or more.
they would be stupid not to make the new K1000 version

After having the K1000's sitting around on stock shelves for months, and having to drop the prices to move the remaining stock, I don't think they would feel stupid not to make a new version.
We are just a tiny pimple on the faces of the total headphone buying crowd. We like to think that we reign supreme, but we don't.

May 24, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #5,258 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you suggesting that the listening impressions posted by members thus far are unreliable?

not at all. I just appreciate the "average joe" like myself giving their thoughts. A wider range of reviews is also appreciated.

May 24, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #5,259 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not at all. I just appreciate the "average joe" like myself giving their thoughts. A wider range of reviews is also appreciated.

To be fair, the fact that you're on this website and even considering $1400 headphones means that you're not an "average joe".

May 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #5,260 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, gratz. Can't wait to read what you think!

Assuming you ordered a pair?

No, I haven't ordered a pair. Just a bit caught up in the anticipation and excitement.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #5,261 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are just a tiny pimple on the faces of the total headphone buying crowd. We like to think that we reign supreme, but we don't.

Great Point!

May 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #5,263 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed that the HD800 driver is slightly smaller than the driver in my vintage Pioneer headphone. (If I can't have a HD800 then at least I can have a headphone with a bigger driver. Because bigger is .... )

What's the size of the driver in your Pioneer?

Sennheiser says their driver is the biggest, but it's not anymore. There have been some crappy companies on eBay releasing headphones with drivers one millimeter bigger than the HD800. Obviously, driver size isn't even close to the only factor in determining performance. Vibration control is extremely important as are the materials in the earpad.

May 25, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #5,264 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Orpheus and baby Orpheus are as different as Chardonnay and Pinot Noir!
I don't think that the HD800 (or any headphone for that matter) can be considered close in anyway to both headphones.

After having the K1000's sitting around on stock shelves for months, and having to drop the prices to move the remaining stock, I don't think they would feel stupid not to make a new version.

Do you mean close as in good?

May 25, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #5,265 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by heiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean close as in good?

The Orpheus and Baby Orpheus sound different from one another. So the HD800 can't sound like both, nothing was said about the quality of any phone in particular, but stats' will SOUND different from moving coil always; my 2cents. Both phones types have loyal followers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back