The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #4,711 of 5,928
Wow, bummer - would have liked to hear these. I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order a while back. Sorry to all who have been patiently waiting.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #4,712 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke to someone at Sennheiser SA today and he had some point to consider. This is just what I got from him so don't shoot the messenger:
- meetings are still being held between QC and production line managers, primarily related to material availability. Additional (and subsequent) to the the change from Alcantara to microfibre; there are two other components made of materials which are sourced from small "mom and pop shop" establishments in Germany. With the current market conditions, and with the suppliers' small size, long-term sustainability and material availability is uncertain so decisions are still being made as to whether to source elsewhere or not.
- since Sennheiser is essentially a family run business, with no actual management or CEO (single person / team calling the shots), it is run differently to most others which would have more clearly defined decision making, communications channels, PR/marketing strategies etc.
- they are continuing with production but at roughly half the expected rate; while they await the decision of the abovementioned materials.

Thanks for the much welcomed update...

....and...so...I wait.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #4,714 of 5,928
He gave his impressions from the last meet they had (Detroit meet impressions). He still feels the same about the HD800. He stated they are second to the HE-90 in his preference.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #4,715 of 5,928
Well, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but here goes. I'm assuming that HD800s will be at CanJam. Is there any shot that someone might be able to get a hold of a pair to recable in order to have a balanced pair on hand? I think many folks who are interested in the HD800s already have balanced rigs, and if Sennheiser is paying attention, if possible, it would be really nice to have a balanced pair there there for comparison.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #4,717 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but here goes. I'm assuming that HD800s will be at CanJam. Is there any shot that someone might be able to get a hold of a pair to recable in order to have a balanced pair on hand? I think many folks who are interested in the HD800s already have balanced rigs, and if Sennheiser is paying attention, if possible, it would be really nice to have a balanced pair there there for comparison.

No doubt you have seen this posted on the HR forum, but for anyone interested in balanced, there will be at least one balanced hd800 cable at CanJam - and maybe a stock reterminated as well, even if cans don't ship.

Balanced hd800 cable

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4,718 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt you have seen this posted on the HR forum, but for anyone interested in balanced, there will be at least one balanced hd800 cable at CanJam - and maybe a stock reterminated as well, even if cans don't ship.

Balanced hd800 cable

Nope. I'm slow. Thanks. That will be great.

May 1, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4,720 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by shino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony 010 and hd 800 which one is better?
the hd 800's design is looks strange to me...

mmm... that’s good question.
considering the HD800 does not yet to exist.

May 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #4,721 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Balanced hd800 cable

Man... I don't know if to go to Can Jam or not since I have exsames and stuff close by and US is pretty far but if I do I'll surely bring my balanced HD 800 cable along and other goodies...

May 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #4,722 of 5,928
My desire to hear the HD-800 almost convinced me to go to CanJam, but it's silly spending $900 (My estimated weekend cost) to hear a set of headphones (No matter how good they are).

May 1, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #4,723 of 5,928
Yikes, you could buy the HD800 (whenever they are available) and if you do not like them you could sell them. The loss would be less than the $900, of course if you go you will have the opportunity to try other gear and make new friends.

May 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #4,724 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by shino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony 010 and hd 800 which one is better?
the hd 800's design is looks strange to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm... that’s good question.
considering the HD800 does not yet to exist.

Including the HD800 units stolen from Logan Airport before the CES show, there may already be more HD800s in existence than there were Sony Qualia 010s ever made.

May 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4,725 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man... I don't know if to go to Can Jam or not since I have exsames and stuff close by and US is pretty far but if I do I'll surely bring my balanced HD 800 cable along and other goodies...

Well, you can always loan out the cable for others to use at CanJam - since you likely won't have the hd800 anyway... well, and even if you did, those exams would keep you from listening, right?
wink.gif
BTW, what balanced amp will you be using, other than the incoming HR balanced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Including the HD800 units stolen from Logan Airport before the CES show, there may already be more HD800s in existence than there were Sony Qualia 010s ever made.

Has there even been ANY more information about the great Logan heist? Perhaps the perps are waiting for general release to kinda 'blend them in'? That, or they are sitting at an undisclosed location in the Caymans...
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back