The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 19, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #4,441 of 5,928
There is no need to go for HD800, balanced HD600 would do ?
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #4,442 of 5,928
Just found this.

Adds nothing new, but some could find it worth the read.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #4,443 of 5,928
HeadphoneAddict: Point taken, I totally agree with that statement.

Drumonron: Correct, I abandoned headphones a couple of months ago, and am now looking create a decent bedroom rig. At this point I just have the ES3xs.

Let me clarify some. Listening to Patricia Barber on Jude's Luxman\Wadia\hd800 setup sounded very good, open, transparent, DETAILED,bass extended deep with no hint of distortion. Looking back I would say it does things right. But, it came across and sounding like a very very good recording of an event, I couldn't close my eyes and put myself there. Maybe I'm being hypercritical, asking too much. Perhaps, the months and months of buildup could be the blame? After the exposure I didn't leave the event thinking I have to have those phones, I think I could be satisfied with a number of different configurations, some slightly cheaper. But, that's just my opinion, YMMV.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #4,444 of 5,928
I am so upset with Sennheiser and their tactics, right now, I am ready to execute a lifelong ban on any of their products in the immtbiker household.

There are many other high quality, honest and open companies, that are more deserving of my hard-earned money.

As Yikes said earlier in his post, (to paraphrase), their silence is unacceptable. To add to that, I feel that their silence is deafening.
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4,446 of 5,928
Don't know if anyone else has picked up on it as I haven't read all the pages (there's quite a few!), but they have a Bang & Olufsen style to them. I like them. A lot.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #4,447 of 5,928
Am I the only one who thinks that all the noise and negative seintiments toward Sennheiser are simply not commensurate with the 2-3 month delay in their statement/flagship? Storm in a teacup, anyone?

Thinking from their perspective they are between a rock and a hard place.....if they sent out communications every fortnight - which would result in the perception of multiple "mini" delays, they would surely have received equal amounts of slander.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #4,448 of 5,928
/\ i agree xenithon, immtbikers comments above seem over reaction to me personally, i am not about to cut my nose off to spite my face by boycotting a company for a small delay!

strictly speaking there is no delay at this time, as their page originally read march/april

then was changed to april/may, whilst i doubt they will come out before april is out, its only after may 1st, people can start counting a delay on paper from their original statement and 1st june from their revised deadline.

people should separate what they get told by their vendors, whom are after an order, from what sen has said all along

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #4,449 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no need to go for HD800, balanced HD600 would do ?
biggrin.gif

When you have something you really like ... get something different will not be necessary better.

I have HD800 in order and I have no difficulty to wait for them because I heard them in a show.

I am not convinced I will prefer them over my HD650.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #4,450 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone put a link to the meet impressions of the HD800,can't find it...

Whenever reviews or impressions come up, I link them in my head-fi blog (see my signature). I'll add the Detroit meet impressions when I see them.

I just had a look, incidentally, what it would cost me for the speaker rig I want, using the existing gear I have to some extent: $1k. That rather puts things into perspective. The benefit is I can share the enjoyment with my family. That alone will make it hard to decide whether to keep the HD-800s, especially as they, and the Stax I'm using, "share" the music with the whole family in a way that is irritating to them.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #4,451 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking from their perspective they are between a rock and a hard place.....if they sent out communications every fortnight - which would result in the perception of multiple "mini" delays, they would surely have received equal amounts of slander.

You probably mean libel. Regardless, I have neither seen nor heard anything here that qualifies as libel or slander as to Sennheiser.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #4,452 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a look, incidentally, what it would cost me for the speaker rig I want, using the existing gear I have to some extent: $1k. That rather puts things into perspective. The benefit is I can share the enjoyment with my family. That alone will make it hard to decide whether to keep the HD-800s, especially as they, and the Stax I'm using, "share" the music with the whole family in a way that is irritating to them.

how 'bout an amp with two headphone outs?...it's intimate & a lotta fun to switch off between different phones...i think you'd get more reactions from friends/family with this arrangement...

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #4,453 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't believe this to be true. I have been in the electronics service/distribution sectors for 22 years, and time and time again, surveys have shown that customer's can be very understanding with re-negotiated ETA's. Silence and the mystery of the unknown, is the number one factor of what makes a customer change from one company to another.

Look, we are not unreasonably intolerant of delays and production problems. We are human. Of course we want everything "now". But keeping me informed on an expensive purchase, no matter how long the delay is, will keep me a loyal customer for a lifetime. Silence is another way of saying, "you'll get it when you get it". It is callous and insensitive to the customer, who is the foundation of their business.

When I can't get a part for a customer, or I am not sure what the problem is, I make sure to let my customer's what I can do, in what timeframe, even if I need to consult a higher level of support. They just want to know that I am making strides towards the final result. Constant communication. Only the most "un-pleasable " customers don't feel any solace from this, even if they are losing money every minute that their equipment is down or their order is not being fulfilled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/\ i agree xenithon, immtbikers comments above seem over reaction to me personally, i am not about to cut my nose off to spite my face by boycotting a company for a small delay!

strictly speaking there is no delay at this time, as their page originally read march/april

then was changed to april/may, whilst i doubt they will come out before april is out, its only after may 1st, people can start counting a delay on paper from their original statement and 1st june from their revised deadline.

We were originally told that the timeline was late February, to mid-March. It was then changed on Senn's website.

My reaction is not an over reaction by any means. It is how I feel. It is my opinion based on my credo and what I believe is right and wrong. I am not asking other's to do the same. When a company communicates with me, and makes sincere efforts to make me happy and deliver good customer satisfaction, I am loyal to them forever. Maybe, that too, can be considered an over reaction, but I don't think so.

I had a pair of Ray Ban "Cats" sunglasses and i called them to tell them that my pair fell off the top of my head, and I broke off one arm and a lens. I clearly stated that it was my fault. They sent out a new pair in 2 business days, free of charge. Since then, I have bought 2 more pairs for my self and multiple pairs for friends and family for gifts. Their investment paid off 10 fold. Everyone that I tell this story to, is getting free, positive advertising from me.

Also, I don't feel that I am cutting off my nose to spite my face. I am not talking about a hunger strike, here. I am moving on to the next tree that offers apples that I can touch, see and smell.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4,454 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am moving on to the next tree that offers apples that I can touch, see and smell.

And may they be electrostatic apples!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back