The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #3,061 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind plastic, but I mind ugly. And this thing is tacky ugly!
I'll probably end up getting it eventually, but I know my wife will make fun of me when it's on my head.
tongue_smile.gif

Will she be making fun of the phones or your peanuthead?
o2smile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #3,062 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that will be one serious match which everyone will be most interested! Please let us know how it goes! Looks like match 1 is with K1000, match 2 is with 007t....very excited!

Quite a few people who own O2s will probably get a pair of HD-800s so I'm sure I wont be the first to comment (IIRC HeadphoneAddict is getting a pair and will likely write up something epic about them). However, at this level of transparency, we'll pretty much be reviewing our sources and amps, in a manner of speaking, so it will be a case of finding out just how close a dynamic system can get to an electrostatic one.

I'm putting my bets on the HD-800s having the better soundstage (due to the driver position) and the O2s having more detail, but we'll see.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #3,063 of 5,928
Its finally here! I can't believe it!

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #3,064 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o2smile.gif

Both!
angry_face.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #3,067 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o2smile.gif

biggrin.gif
LOL...I think I can speak with some authority here, even though I have never seen the HD800 in person I have seen a lot of peanuts. If your head is indeed the size of a peanut then the phones will not sound very good. You will lose all soundstage and bass impact. The fit will most likely be attrocious and the treble and mids will be quite thin and weak sounding also....cheers...
o2smile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3,069 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by beard55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has there been any sign of the full review Jude was working on. I may have missed it.

I have not seen it.

I would expect Jude would put it in a new thread rather than hiding it in this one.

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,070 of 5,928
Quote:

With this noone will have to know what headphone you are using!
tongue_smile.gif

19634.jpg

Sort of defeats the purpose of an open backed headphone, no?
eek.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,071 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not seen it.

I would expect Jude would put it in a new thread rather than hiding it in this one.

Sorry, guys, most all of my Head-Fi time I have right now (and, for the most part, since getting back from CES) is going to keeping the site working.

Now back on topic (I didn't mean to take this off-topic to discuss forum admin).

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #3,072 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, guys, most all of my Head-Fi time I have right now (and, for the most part, since getting back from CES) is going to keeping the site working.

Now back on topic (I didn't mean to take this off-topic to discuss forum admin).

Understandable, can't wait to see your assessment when you finally get to it. I need more reviews to help me feel better/worse about my pre-order
icon10.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #3,073 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sort of defeats the purpose of an open backed headphone, no?
eek.gif

OK, you got me, this is just the prototype, the real one will have large ear holes...

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3,074 of 5,928
Quote:

OK, you got me, this is just the prototype, the real one will have large ear holes...

Could I get on the preorder list for one of those, that way my wife won't notice the new hd800s. What a lifesaver, anyway at least this way I will get in on the first shipment-so what number am I?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #3,075 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Understandable, can't wait to see your assessment when you finally get to it. I need more reviews to help me feel better/worse about my pre-order
icon10.gif

Here's the first paragraph (yes, I do have a draft):

[size=medium]Even if you thought I was credible and trustworthy--even if you've read any of the audio impressions of any number of pieces of gear I've written about (briefly or verbosely) on the pages of these forums over the years, and, as a result, felt inclined to feel audio-simpatico with me--I worried that if I told you the absolute truth of my feelings about Sennheiser's new flagship HD 800 headphone, you'd think I took employ in the marketing department of Sennheiser, and became their ultimate HD800 shill on Head-Fi. Because what it comes down to--after a private, extended, solitary listening session the day before CES 2009, and, even more importantly, after a week with the HD800 at home and work--is that everything I have to say about this headphone reads like ad copy. Seriously, pretty much everything. Very early on, I said that if asked to describe the HD 800 in a word, I'd have said "effortless." After some getting-to-know-you time with it, however, I'm increasingly comfortable with a new one-word rejoinder: "Flawless." Sonically, from the surface to the center, from stem to stern, from left to right, throughout my entire audible frequency spectrum, I can not say that there's anything--not a single, solitary thing--that I'd change about the Sennheiser HD 800....

[/size]___________________

Now back to fixing and testing Head-Fi for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back