The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2,176 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread gets my vote for the worst signal to noise ratio - ever.

Take the Fourier transform and perform peak analysis.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #2,177 of 5,928
Quote:

I've just spent 30 minutes and if there's valuable information it's hidden very well.

Now I've added to the endless blah but since there's nothing else to begin with it doesn't matter .........

I think it took me about 8 hours all told!

In short - a few people have heard them. Some will be dealers of them. Some not. Jude just got a 5 day loaner. John Willet will get about a 1 week loaner soon. Mens mags are starting to going wild over the 'best ever' reviews.

Next public hearing I'm aware of is the Bristol (UK) Hifi show 20th/21st Feb.
Lots of amps will be used to power them.
Some bits of the HD800 are plastic, other bits not.

There's pre-production and production standards of finish expected.

And there is a queue to buy them in US at the moment!

It's a bit like hearing a sonic boom before the jet goes past you. This is the storm before the storm!

Apart from that there is no big deal on the headphone horizon (tongue in cheek).

Sceptre

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2,178 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows which dealer still has place for preorder? I think Headroom is full now
frown.gif

I've finally to scale down to only 2 dynamic cans. That's enough I think
redface.gif

Call/email Todd at ttvj.com. Last I heard he still had some available.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2,179 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it took me about 8 hours all told!

In short - a few people have heard them. Some will be dealers of them. Some not. Jude just got a 5 day loaner. John Willet will get about a 1 week loaner soon. Mens mags are starting to going wild over the 'best ever' reviews.

Next public hearing I'm aware of is the Bristol (UK) Hifi show 20th/21st Feb.
Lots of amps will be used to power them.
Some bits of the HD800 are plastic, other bits not.

There's pre-production and production standards of finish expected.

And there is a queue to buy them in US at the moment!

It's a bit like hearing a sonic boom before the jet goes past you. This is the storm before the storm!

Apart from that there is no big deal on the headphone horizon (tongue in cheek).

Sceptre

One footnote - there is still no (supported) balanced solution.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #2,180 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One footnote - there is still no (supported) balanced solution.

Er, the "balanced solution" for HD600/650s is generally to order a spare cord and recycle the plugs. Somehow I don't think all the soldering irons will stop working, so the same method will probably still work.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #2,181 of 5,928
Except, you cannot buy a spare cable for the HD800s yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, the "balanced solution" for HD600/650s is generally to order a spare cord and recycle the plugs. Somehow I don't think all the soldering irons will stop working, so the same method will probably still work.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #2,182 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7

It's good to hear that you like them better than sub 1000$ dynamic headphones. Sadly, I don't think that's their competition. They are going after the electrostatics.

I am interested to see how these compare against my HE60. My hunch is they will be close, but the thought of the HD800 being as transparent and as fast is very unlikely in my mind. Soundstage I also question.

If it turns out that these hang respectably with electrostats then, hype or not, they're going to become the kings of dynamic headphones in short order even at $1400 a pop and that will be a well deserved crown.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2,183 of 5,928
Quote:

I've just spent 30 minutes and if there's valuable information it's hidden very well.

Probably because there are not all that much valuable to write about. Just 5-10 members have heard it, briefly on the CES stand. Jude receive a pre-production unit a couple of days back, and I expect him to provide more impressions.

Until then its mostly talk about availability, price, and such.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #2,184 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like it would have some muffling with between the driver and the steel mesh...

That's a good point. The K-1000 had the best solution with eliminating any acoustic issues by not having an enclosure, and it worked like a charm.

With the HD800, Sennheisser did a good job of keeping the enclosure to a minimum with the mesh while still leaving an enclosure to give a more secure fit.

While the K-1000 is as flat as you'll find, it's difficult to wear them while you're laying back in a chair or laying down. So, I prefer Sennheisser's approach on this. I think it's a good compromise.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #2,185 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it turns out that these hang respectably with electrostats then, hype or not, they're going to become the kings of dynamic headphones in short order even at $1400 a pop and that will be a well deserved crown.

I don't necessarily think everyone is after the electrostatic sound. But if they can capture the quickness and resolve that approaches stats while still giving the dynamic sound, I think they will have the best of both worlds. The K-1000 and Qualias are very good in that regard.

I guess I could have just said..."I agree"
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #2,186 of 5,928
Nothing beats the Ety-4s in the performance/price ratio...not even the Senn 650s! And I do love the 650s!

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2,188 of 5,928
Agree on that. Phonaks are serious challengers to Ety (and possible winners) on the performance/price value prop. Owned both, just in case you wonder. Sold the Etys a while back, but they just weren't doing it for me, even with an amp and S cable. But they are fairly priced for what you go, that I agree with.

Back to topic. Sorry for the sidestep, but dfkt made me do it. Kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back