The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 9, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #586 of 5,928
I wish they would have the option of using basic earpads and knocking off $400 or so. I just want good sounding headphones, I don't need the pads to tranform my life or anything. I also don't want to pay for all that drama.

Didn't the Ed. 9 chase down some exotic goat hair? What is this trend for comfort all about. Put all the cost into making it sound better and spare us the additional cost. That's what I would prefer anyway.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #587 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish they would have the option of using basic earpads and knocking off $400 or so. I just want good sounding headphones, I don't need the pads to tranform my life or anything. I also don't want to pay for all that drama.

Didn't the Ed. 9 chase down some exotic goat hair? What is this trend for comfort all about. Put all the cost into making it sound better and spare us the additional cost. That's what I would prefer anyway.

to my knowledge alcantara is not an expensive material so I doubt that that it's the earpads driving the cost up.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #588 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
I don't really like the look on the HD-800 but I bet the sound is excellent. I wish the price is lower though. I am trying to sop buying and the $1400 pricetag is just a bit too high!

I thought you had the HE90. I'm curious, what happened to those?

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #589 of 5,928
Gotta agree with Rob here. It's the sound that will or won't impress.

Somehow, when products stress allegedly luxurious materials, I assume that the sound is somehow not up to par.

But, then, I like the aesthetics of the DT770 Pro. Tupperware!
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #590 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you had the HE90. I'm curious, what happened to those?

I'm pretty sure he still owns them, along with the HEV90. Check the red part at the lower end of his sig.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #592 of 5,928
I like eggs.

I haven't heard the HD800, but thought that in the spirit of this thread, I should still have something to say about them anyway. Besides, by some magical stroke of bad luck, this thread had actually moved down to page two... well, at least momentarily. We can't have that! Now can we?

Looks - I kind of like them, but I kind of don't. No major emotional reaction, so I'll save my last bag of exclamation points for better use elsewhere. Ho hum. They're just headphones, and no doubt they'll blend in when placed on one of my coatracks full of other headphones. Yippie. Just what I needed.

Price - It is what it is. Take it or leave it. Why all of the debate about what the price should-a-been, could-a-been, would-a-been? Or the sub-debate about what the price might be in the future? Without having heard them, I can't even begin to make value judgments about whether they'll be "worth it." I don't get it.

Fit, comfort, sound, and how that sound will compare to other headphones... I'm not quite picking up the "cues" that I'll need to make these assessments by looking at pics and reading mini reviews about them on the internet. Maybe if I look more closely at the pic and read the mini reviews more carefully, I'll come to a better understanding of what they sound and feel like.

I don't like toast...

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #594 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Earpads of the HD800 are made of special high quality Alcantara®, which is a unique, innovative material, used to cover and upholster surfaces and structures.

Anyone remember Ricardo Montalbán and the Chrysler Cordoba's "soft Corinthian leather"?

It was a fancy name for plastic.

Wikipedia definition:

Corinthian leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only headphone coupled with a dedicated amplifier are electrostats because of the unique requirements for their use, i.e. you CAN'T use them with conventional equipment. So is your position that there is no such thing as a high-end dynamic headphone?

The Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 and 2002 came with it's own dedicated amp:

The HA2002.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy53YXJlaG91c2UxMjMuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9Qcm9kdWN0cy9hdXRhdGhhMjAwMi1icm4uanBn==.jpg

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #595 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wmcmanus....I like eggs and toast.

Well, Ok. Toast is alright sometimes, depending on the jelly. But not just dry toast!

I think $1,400 is too much; no, too little; no, just right... based on how the HD800 sound to me. But that's based only on my brief, sound unheard, impressions.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #596 of 5,928
Besides the very modern(post apocalyptic!)look they have,they seem like an innovation in driver(transducer) technology.(from what I've read so far)56mm!!Apparently the largest in dynamic type headphones.Sound is directed into the ear at a 45 degree angle.So it looks like their taking a page out of Ultrasone's book.There is also this new patented ring design for the diaphragm.Which minimises distortion which is clearly needed with drivers that big.Frequency response is precise with 6 - 51,000 Hertz range.And from what i read the sound stage is outstanding and detail is stunning.So the driver technology is mostly what's to blame for the $1400 price tag.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #598 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG! I just read the impressions, and I'm shaking with excitement! THIS COULD BE IT. CAN IT? WILL IT? PLEASE PLEASE!

AHH AHHH AHHH!

If these headphones trump everything, I'm in! WOOHOO WOOHOO!

its coming, its coming, oh yes.. yes its nearly here, oh yes, here it comes, HERE IT COMES...oh..oh yeah...that was good..wooo

phew...im hungry now

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #599 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its coming, its coming, oh yes.. yes its nearly here, oh yes, here it comes, HERE IT COMES...oh..oh yeah...that was good..wooo

You made me remember last night ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back