The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 15, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #5,821 of 5,928
can you share your thought on the cable change?
cause i am interested in changing my hd800 cable i well
i am looking into copper cable and wanna see what impact/changes it reflects onto the hd800
p.s. serious gear u are using, hd800 for portable use??

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #5,822 of 5,928
Did anyone spot this yesterday? Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak was a part of the Oscars madness. In Cadillac's commercial during the broadcast, the Woz himself can be seen lounging in his study, listening to his HD 800.. check out the video below:

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5,823 of 5,928
Just picked up an HD800 and am currently pairing it with an HRT Music Streamer II+ and Bottlehead Crack + Speedball.

I find the soundstage and the details on the mids amazing, but find bass lacking and some harshness to the treble (e.g. trumpets in Star Wars soundtrack).  I listen to a wide variety of music, but am more heavily focused on classical, soundtracks, some pop (Michael Jackson), some rock (DMB), some oldies (Stevie WondeR).

I'm looking to improve this setup at reasonable cost, staying with the HD800s and fine-tuning the amp/DAC setup.  Should I sell both the amp and DAC?  I'm eyeing the Violectric V200 and the HDVD800.  Also am considering the HDVA600 with an external DAC, but am not sure whether the HRT Music Streamer II+ would be a suitable DAC for that pairing.

I've read that the V200 really limits the soundstage of the HD800 and that the HDVD800 DAC is very 1-dimensional and limiting.  Any and all help with making a decision and improving the sound from my HD800s would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #5,824 of 5,928
  Did anyone spot this yesterday? Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak was a part of the Oscars madness. In Cadillac's commercial during the broadcast, the Woz himself can be seen lounging in his study, listening to his HD 800.. check out the video below:

Yeah, I saw that during the Oscars.  I thought it was the Woz but wasn't sure because I was too stunned to see a HD800 on tv.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,825 of 5,928

So I wasn't seeing things! Glad to see that Steve has excellent taste!

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #5,826 of 5,928
That was cool
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #5,827 of 5,928
Hey guys,

I will be getting a Sennheiser HD800 as part of a trade and it is quite a step up for me. I have been using the Sennheiser HD 598 with an Fiio E07K DAC/AMP comfortably for over a year. My budget is 600 USD, can you provide options to start out? Here is what I am thinking?

1) Schiit Vahalla 2(Heard this one works well) / Modi

2) Schiit Magni 2/ Modi 2

3) O2ODAC combo

4) 500ish dollar AMP and E07 as dac?

5) Any other options?

Thanks!

(cross posted from reddit for more responses!)

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #5,828 of 5,928
Ok, I just recently upgraded from AKG 701's to Sennheiser HD800's which, as they should be at the price, are in another sonic and sound-stage league. And I'm really really glad I did. I've listened to my favourite music and it sounds incredibly accurate and pristine. 

I had a listen to the Audeze LCD2's too. They offer a warmer, softer sound which was relatively murky and ill-defined for me, compared to the agile clarity, speed and transparency of the Sennheisers.

Largely a matter of personal taste and amplifier matching, as ever.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #5,829 of 5,928
Hey guys,

I will be getting a Sennheiser HD800 as part of a trade and it is quite a step up for me. I have been using the Sennheiser HD 598 with an Fiio E07K DAC/AMP comfortably for over a year. My budget is 600 USD, can you provide options to start out? Here is what I am thinking?

3) O2ODAC combo

5) Any other options?

Thanks!

I was about to ask the same question. How do HD800 get along with valhalla 2 amp? Im currently using it to run HD650 but looking around for a pair of HD800.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #5,830 of 5,928
  Hey guys,

3) O2ODAC combo

5) Any other options?

Thanks!

I have run several amps with the HD 800 in that price range and will say that they have all been kinda a disappointment. The ones you've zeroed in on have tended to be a little worse than average in that range, IMO. If I were you and if you are stuck on that price, maybe the best thing to do is to get a Vali for nothing and then save up when you can move to the $1500 range where things really start to make the HD 800 sing. Or better yet, go grab a Crack w/ Speedball upgrade.

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5,831 of 5,928

I have run several amps with the HD 800 in that price range and will say that they have all been kinda a disappointment. The ones you've zeroed in on have tended to be a little worse than average in that range, IMO. If I were you and if you are stuck on that price, maybe the best thing to do is to get a Vali for nothing and then save up when you can move to the $1500 range where things really start to make the HD 800 sing. Or better yet, go grab a Crack w/ Speedball upgrade.

I paired the HD800 with a Crack + Speedball, but found the treble a bit harsh (like trumpets in classical music) and bass lacking.  Am switching to the HDVA600 amp with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 dac.  Hoping this helps temper these issues a bit...also am upgrading to the moon black dragon v2 cable

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #5,832 of 5,928
How often do these go on sale for ~$1,000? I'm assuming the only authorized retailer that offers it for this much is BuySonic (unfortunately have to pay tax too since i'm in CA.) Been waiting a few months to pull the trigger. I'm literally checking everyday and I can't wait to get my hands on a pair! Planning on picking up an Oppo HA-1 along with it.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #5,834 of 5,928
Finally gonna step up by buying a used pair. Being a very wary person and very paranoid of the possibility of getting a fake. Was wondering if there is even such a thing as fake hd800. And if so what do i need to look out for ??  

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,835 of 5,928
  How often do these go on sale for ~$1,000? I'm assuming the only authorized retailer that offers it for this much is BuySonic (unfortunately have to pay tax too since i'm in CA.) Been waiting a few months to pull the trigger. I'm literally checking everyday and I can't wait to get my hands on a pair! Planning on picking up an Oppo HA-1 along with it.

if you are still looking, just ordered at sonicelectronix.com, for ~$1140. (including ca tax), get it at mystery bag bonus buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back