The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Oct 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #5,806 of 5,928
  Guys,
Does the custom cable make a different original cable?
and what is the best balanced cable?
and what is the difference between copper and silver? which is the best

Hello
I am new in the world of high end headphone , but I have some experience in hifi
Change in cable can make a difference , but from what I've read this is the icing on the cake
It is suggested to change cables after having a proper headphone amplifier.
What headphone amplifier do you have ?
Take care

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #5,807 of 5,928

Hello
I am new in the world of high end headphone , but I have some experience in hifi
Change in cable can make a difference , but from what I've read this is the icing on the cake
It is suggested to change cables after having a proper headphone amplifier.
What headphone amplifier do you have ?
Take care

I have 2 AMP,
NFB-28
Schiit Valhalla 2

what is the difference between copper and silver? which is the best

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #5,808 of 5,928
Hello
I won't state which one is better or worse .
The point is that Silver tends to give a shiny sound , loads of details , and sometimes lacking in bass
Then copper is known to deliver some less detailed and rounder sound , bass rich sort of ..
At least that's what I've guessed and experienced
Then comes the mixture on the surface of copper , pure copper .. etc , it's a question of good ears .;mine are just in an average
Hope that this helps .. and the cable war is not mine (LOL)
Cheers

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #5,810 of 5,928
HD800 was released in 2009 and 2015 I read is Sennheiser's 70th anniversary. Perhaps a new flagship.  

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #5,812 of 5,928
The big problem of HD800 IMO have lake of bass !!

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,814 of 5,928
I really don't get people's review on the hd800. I tried them for the first time on saturday and went into it thinking they would be junk. The first thing I noticed is how comfortable and light they are. The 2nd thing I noticed is how detailed they are and how amazing they sounds. The lack of bass statement I really don't get. I tried playing dubstep and rap amung other more sophisticated genres and it sounded really good with a good impact. I tried it both on a $2,000+ setup and my $300 setup and it sounded 95% as good as the $2,000 setup. The only difference being slightly in the highs. This also could have been because I was using 320 mp3 and he was using flac. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5,815 of 5,928
The HD700 and HD800 are probably the two most comfortable headphones on the planet.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #5,816 of 5,928
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,818 of 5,928
Guys,
Does the custom cable make a different original cable?
and what is the best balanced cable?
and what is the difference between copper and silver? which is the best

Why did you buy 1500$ headphones and now trying to modify its sound using custom cable? Why not to buy headphones which suits you well out of the box?

I ordered a silver cable for Hd650 at the same price, but its about 200$ .. Not 1500$.

So i bought Denon 7100 which are awared as a ****ty booming sound, but is the best for me.

So I propose just to buy what you personally like..

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #5,819 of 5,928
  I really don't get people's review on the hd800. I tried them for the first time on saturday and went into it thinking they would be junk. The first thing I noticed is how comfortable and light they are. The 2nd thing I noticed is how detailed they are and how amazing they sounds. The lack of bass statement I really don't get. I tried playing dubstep and rap amung other more sophisticated genres and it sounded really good with a good impact. I tried it both on a $2,000+ setup and my $300 setup and it sounded 95% as good as the $2,000 setup. The only difference being slightly in the highs. This also could have been because I was using 320 mp3 and he was using flac. 

Here is a review. I'm still using mine daily. #00694 and i am the original owner. Hooked up to a Zana Deux amplifier and a slightly dated but totally modified digital link dac(my next upgrade). I really couldn't be happier and have heard many different setups at meets that just reaffirms it. I do have two closed headphones that i regularly use when needed and many portables but the HD800 thru the system beats them all by far. Sorry for those who bought them and complain. I do have one or two phones that i have gotten and not been thrilled with but they were mid-fi portables. Gotta say, don't really like the LCD's i know they have gotten popular over the last couple of years but they always have sounded disjointed to me, so there you go.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #5,820 of 5,928

I love this headphone so much that this is now my second pair just because it came with a serial number of straight "3"s.  The old one I sold.

Cable makes a difference in HD800.  

The amp does improve the sound of the HD800 but not as much as the dac that it is hooked to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back