The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #4,967 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AV Review possibly? I'm fairly sure the auditioner is tone-deaf.... and possibly mentally dumb, but that may be the review he was referring to.

AV Review's terrible review

Although I have no RS1i, i don't think it has such ability to get the throne from the hand of HD800
wink.gif

DSC01667.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

May 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #4,968 of 5,928
are those qualias I see in the first pic ???
is anyone aware of any comparison done in the prepro 800 reviews to the qualia ???

May 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #4,969 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is anyone aware of any comparison done in the prepro 800 reviews to the qualia ???

You'd best pray that the 800 sounds nothing like the Qualia. I know a few people who really enjoy it, but to be completely honest the majority of people who listen to them don't care for their particular flavor.

I really have to say though, looking at them next to each other... the 800 looks like a cheap plastic Qualia in some ways. Kind of like the SA5k.

May 13, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #4,970 of 5,928
i rather enjoyed a brief audition I had with the qualias, but it was some time ago....thats partly why i went out and bought my sa5000's....and, the sa5000's are anything but cheap plastic---a believe its magnesium, leather and stainless bits all around

May 13, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #4,971 of 5,928
cwilson;5680234 said:
Although I have no RS1i, i don't think it has such ability to get the throne from the hand of HD800
wink.gif

Are those cans yours? Did you post a comparative review somewhere? (here, even? ... this thread is kind of long so if you did I can easily have missed it...)

May 13, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #4,972 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AV Review possibly? I'm fairly sure the auditioner is tone-deaf.... and possibly mentally dumb, but that may be the review he was referring to.

AV Review's terrible review

Yep that is the one. Tone deaf or not, they reviewed the HD800's. This is the only "professional" review I've read thus far. Anyone have the German link?

May 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #4,973 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

DSC01667.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

Very nice cwilson! How many days have you had them for? Are you enjoying them?

I look forward to reading your impressions once you two have become acquainted.

May 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4,974 of 5,928
For all that have heard the hd800, in all the various places and circumstances, has anyone observed or aware of ANY driver failures among the demo units?

May 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #4,975 of 5,928
Quote:

i rather enjoyed a brief audition I had with the qualias, but it was some time ago....thats partly why i went out and bought my sa5000's....and, the sa5000's are anything but cheap plastic---a believe its magnesium, leather and stainless bits all around

The SA5K is definitely made partially out of plastic. Another member a few years ago shaved a little bit of the paint off of the surface in one part and found it to be only silver paint (or possibly a light metal coating) on plastic.

May 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #4,976 of 5,928
i don't know...i'm looking at my sa5000's right now and the main skeleton (headband arch, cup armature) seem to be all magnesium and these parts make up the majority of the cans...the cup skeleton, on the other hand, might be some kind of composite, i suppose...irregardless its quality vastly exceeds its 300-400 price tag

May 13, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #4,977 of 5,928
Quote:

i don't know...i'm looking at my sa5000's right now and the skeleton (headband arch, cup armature) seem to be all magnesium and these parts make up the majority of the cans...the cup skeleton, on the other hand, might be some kind of composite, i suppose...irregardless its quality vastly exceeds its 300-400 price tag

I believe what was discovered was that the cups and the attachments on them were coated in a metallic paint. A thin layer over grey plastic.

May 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #4,978 of 5,928
I don't think it really matters what materials are used as long as it sounds great, is comfortable, and is durable.
I had the Senn HD600. I think the construction and its materials were quite good. They were pretty comfortable and the sound was pretty good.
Then I bought the Sony SA5000. I like the construction. I've read elsewhere that it was verified that the metal is actually metal. Perhaps the outside was coated to make it look better. The leather coverings over the pads are very comfortable. I think it is the most comfortable headphone I've ever used. I liked the sound quality better than the Senn HD600. I still use them but only for movies!
I then bought the Grado GS1000. The sound quality was a huge step up from any headphones I'd ever heard. I'm enjoying them now. They don't use any plastic begin made of wood and metal, but the ear pads are foam and not all that comfortable. It seems that Grado's industrial design is lacking compared to Sennheiser and Sony.
I've place an order for the HD800 and have high hopes!

May 14, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #4,979 of 5,928
Quote:

Yes, it is qualia.

I think there is no such comparison article about HD800 vs. 010 yet. And it is so sorry that I cannot leak any more detail of HD800 due to some reasons.
ph34r.gif

But…. both the sound performance and signature of the above headphones are quite different. Resolution and sound stage are still the strength of Qualia. HD800 wins the overall performance among 3 headphones in classic and symphony

May 14, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #4,980 of 5,928
DefectiveAudioComponent;5680309 said:
cwilson;5680234 said:
wink.gif

Quote:

Are those cans yours? Did you post a comparative review somewhere? (here, even? ... this thread is kind of long so if you did I can easily have missed it...)

only most of them belongs to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back