The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 9, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #407 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was twelve I bought some $50 headphones from Radio Shack with a claimed frequency response of something like 8-25k and they sounded like cheap nasty tinny trash. So I wouldn't read too much into frequency response claims...I'm sure they sound great but how much better than the HD650 or other top-of-the-line cans, only time will tell..I think it would be wise to wait until after the hype dies down to draw a conclusion.

Those $50 headphones may actually have had a frequency response of 8-25K, but they may also have been down -60db at both extremes and -30db at 200 and 2K. Deceptive advertising true enough, but many respected names in audio still resort to it. Unless the variation is stated, as Sennheiser has done here, frequency response means next to nothing.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #408 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, but I honestly don't think we will see prices fall under $1000 for at least the first six months. This is a hand made headphone, not some factory line product. Sennheiser just doesn't have to cater to the headphone market the same way Denon does. The street price will be $1400...no way around it.

"Hand made" or not it simply depends on the speed at which they are created. A lot of stuff is hand made or at least hand assembled and doesnt carry a gigantic premium. And again Sennheiser is a very popular name with a boat load of dealers. Ultrasone they are not. You act like they'll be making 50 a month or something. Im confident you'll see ample supply and a very swift price drop. There simply isnt that many people who are going to spend 1400 bucks on a Sennheiser headphone. Thats made even more obvious by how many people were turned off by the price in this very thread. At that price their market will dry up faster than water in the desert.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #409 of 5,928
Quote:

What for? He's a customer like the rest of us.

If I go create an online community devoted to exotic cars, should Bugatti hook me up with a Veyron?
icon10.gif

firstly, a Veyron doesn't cost a mere 1400, and secondly, considering they are aiming these at audiophiles, it would be wise to appease a person whose opinions are worth gold among that said circle. So no, he's not just a customer like the rest of us.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #410 of 5,928
popcorn.gif

Wow.

As others have said, at $1400, they're really not a replacement for the 650s anymore than the Orpheus would be. It's really a new line. I'm sure I can be happy with my 650s until they scratch a "1" off of that "$1400!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually very interested about what goes on below 90Hz... you could say I'm not exactly an Etymotic guy when it comes to bass.

I actually feel like I get more bass extension out of my Etys than I can comprehend. I love my Senns, but in terms of a quality sonic spectrum, etys reign supreme...in my limited world anyway!

The HD800's spectro-graphy thing looks a lot like the Etys to me!! Flat, consistent, extended and accurate!

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #411 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...There simply isnt that many people who are going to spend 1400 bucks on a Sennheiser headphone...

On a pair of dynamic Senns perhaps
wink.gif

Seriously though, I think a lot more people will buy them at over a grand than everybody thinks.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #412 of 5,928
Too rich for my blood, but hope they are as good as the initial impressions indicate.

At least there won't 10,00 threads with titles something like this:

"Noob with $1500 budget needs first time purchase advice", etc...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #413 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
firstly, a Veyron doesn't cost a mere 1400, and secondly, considering they are aiming these at audiophiles, it would be wise to appease a person whose opinions are worth gold among that said circle. So no, he's not just a customer like the rest of us.

I couldn't disagree more. He is clearly a customer like everyone else. He just happens to run a headphone forum. Also, no his opinion is not worth gold to me personally and his opinion won't have any effect on HD800 sales. It's a Sennheiser flagship. They won't need to hand them out for free because they will sell themselves.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #414 of 5,928
I hope they will come down a bit after a few months too. Hopefully to $850.- 1100.-i think that is probably more realistic but guess we will all just have to wait and see. The Zana Deux i am waiting for broke the bank for a bit anyway.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #415 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hand made" or not it simply depends on the speed at which they are created. A lot of stuff is hand made or at least hand assembled and doesnt carry a gigantic premium. And again Sennheiser is a very popular name with a boat load of dealers. Ultrasone they are not. You act like they'll be making 50 a month or something. Im confident you'll see ample supply and a very swift price drop. There simply isnt that many people who are going to spend 1400 bucks on a Sennheiser headphone. Thats made even more obvious by how many people were turned off by the price in this very thread. At that price their market will dry up faster than water in the desert.

What do you mean "on a Sennheiser headphone"? There are plenty of people willing to spend $1400 on headphones period, let alone one made by Sennheiser. Are you familiar with the HE60 and HE90? What about the majority of current and out of production former flagships. R10, HP2, PS1, L3000, OIIMKI, ED7, ED9, Qualia, and the list goes on and on. All sell used for over $1400 and most sell for $2000+. People were only turned off by the price here because they were expecting something a little more in line with 580/600/650 pricing.

There ain't going to be a swift price drop on this one. Sorry. Sennheiser will just pull back on production if the demand isn't there. They aren't going to flood the market with these like an HD600/650.

Tell you what. Meet me back here in six months and we'll see who gets the first slice of pie.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #416 of 5,928
I think the MSRP is surprising because with the exception of Senn's electrostatics, they're not 'expensive' headphones... compared to say, GS1000, or D7000, etc. Lets face it, HD650s are a very good bang for your buck can. I think everybody was expecting the same thing out of a new Sennheiser dynamic.

Unfortunately, not every headphone can be an incredible value.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #417 of 5,928
Quote:

What do you mean "on a Sennheiser headphone"? There are plenty of people willing to spend $1400 on headphones period, let alone one made by Sennheiser. Are you familiar with the HE60 and HE90? What about the majority of current and out of production former flagships. R10, HP2, PS1, L3000, OIIMKI, ED7, ED9, Qualia, and the list goes on and on. All sell used for over $1400 and most sell for $2000+. People were only turned off by the price here because they were expecting something a little more in line with 580/600/650 pricing.

There ain't going to be a swift price drop on this one. Sorry. Sennheiser will just pull back on production if the demand isn't there. They aren't going to flood the market with these like an HD600/650.

Tell you what. Meet me back here in six months and we'll see who gets the first slice of pie.

Concur, these are a different animal

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #419 of 5,928
No 1,400 headphone will sell well. Only headphone fanatics and people who can afford a luxury like the 800. 99.9 of the population won't buy a 1,400 headphone. Most think 200 is too much. 6-8 hundred would have been reasonable. If Sennheiser wants these phones to be the succeesors to the 650, they will need to mass marketed at a price point that people are ok with..I'm sure the 800s are worth the asking price, but doesn't change the fact they are still over a grand. Yes, I buy when they are under a grand. On a side note, If the transients are faster then the 48s I'd be very impressed.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #420 of 5,928
Eww $1400!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back