The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Dec 8, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #196 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choice. I've always been a philosophy of getting that good quality up front because when you undershoot, you'll tend to be dissatisfied with the lower quality stuff and will eventually spend more money in the long-run because you'll upgrade to that quality you should have gotten in the first place. Nice to see that you weren't afraid to pull the trigger on the higher quality. These seem to be excellent phones to build around. I've said WOW three or four times, as I continued to upgrade the components around them. They almost sound like different headphones each time you make a solid upgrade to them.

As I said, I can't take the credit for being an intelligent shopper here entirely. In the 80's I was an avid headphone listener and fell into just such a trap, not wanting to spend the money up front for reference type phones; as a result I can name at least 5 sets of headphones I purchased in that period, starting with a cheesy set of Technics phones, going to the Sennheiser 497s, then the Sennheiser 560s, and later a set of Denons as well as AKG 240s. It was kind of like choosing a mate.... she might be really gorgeous in this or that flashy way, but also possessed personality attributes that in a short time irritated me. Choosing a partner that has many understated but praiseworthy attributes is what I should have done.

As for the wow factor, I dealt with much the same situation with the 560s. While they weren't 600s by any means, they did have the Sennheiser signature sound. While I picked up a few other sets and enjoyed them, I kept coming back to the Sennheisers for their overall smoothness and their comfort. Having learned that lesson in my youth it wasn't terribly difficult to decide to spend the extra money right now; I know from experience it will actually save me money in the long term.

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #197 of 672
Just came home after a long day at work. Put these headphones on. They are like a nice glass of wine being poured down my ear canal... Smooth and sweet, with an intoxicating sound that creeps up on you slowly. Presents songs in a manner that I can listen to at any time of day, mellowing out that harshness, but putting the sound out there enough to be engaging. I love hearing how the sound morphs as they continue to get burned in. Things become even smoother and mellow, but with enough impact to be lively.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #198 of 672
as much as i love these... i have to say they probably dont change much, or at all, from burn in.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #199 of 672
Quote:

They are like a nice glass of wine being poured down my ear canal...

That just sounds like a generally unpleasant experience.
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #200 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

They are like a nice glass of wine being poured down my ear canal...

That just sounds like a generally unpleasant experience.
frown.gif

It could be worse: Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like liquid lead pouring into my ears. mmmm so rich and creamy
600smile.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #201 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxPrgr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be worse:

Oh yeah... I remember that one...
popcorn.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #202 of 672
I find the HD600 (and Grado) change less with burn-in than many other headphones, but they do get smoother and more refined. But the actual sound signature doesn't change like with Ultrasones that turn into different headphones altogether.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #203 of 672
Yeah, these definitely get smoother. At first, the sound felt congested and tight. Everything felt 'closed-in.' There was also 'treble haze,' like a fuzzy, harsh sound during the higher range. Everything is smoothing out and things are becoming a lot clearer.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #204 of 672
I know I've only owned these for a few weeks now, so I hate to keep going on about them, but I just got done with another listening session, and I'm just amazed at how right these headphones sound!
eek.gif

This is one of the first times in my audio journey (speakers and headphones) that I've been able to go through several tracks of really well recorded studio music without being tempted to analyze and pick out the things that are "being done right" in the system, comparing with past memory of how certain cymbol crashes shimmered, how certain plucks of a guitar string attacked, how certain words echoed in the recording room, how...etc. These headphones just sound so dang natural, my brain finally shuts up for once and lets me take it all in!

It was so enjoyable that I even fell asleep a few times... I love it when that happens...
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #205 of 672
I love listening to these headphones the more I listen to them., especially when it comes to live instruments as opposed to synth. They're detailed, but not overly so to the extent where you're analyzing the music instead of listening and immersing yourself into it, and they're not so warm and thick that the sound is muddy and overly heavy.

Only thing I need to have done to my sound is to move the voices a bit forward and add a bit more impact, and from what I've heard about the equinox cables, I should be well taken care of.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #206 of 672
the equinox only beef up the stock sound. Don't expect a change in overall tonality. Older flatter pads on the hd600 will have more of an impact in the hd600s distance perspective than a cable change for example. I was surprised at the improvement of the equinox because I didn't expect much but if your expectations are too high, you might be dissapointed. Remember the equinox cables are roughly the same price or more expensive than the cans themselves so I can only recommend the equinox to those totally in love with the hd600s. Those that want to get the Equinox expecting the sound to turn from laid back to forward will be dissapointed. The sound will only seem to be a little more forward because of the added detail it gives.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #207 of 672
I ordered a pair of Equinox cables yesterday. I like the overall 600 sound, but the voices sound just a bit recessed to me. Just as long as they come forward a bit, then I'm fine. What's crazy is that I could've bought the K701's for $50 cheaper. Well, maybe I'll check into the 701's another time.

After the Equinox, I'll be pretty much done with the 'upgraditis' except maybe some new tubes for the EF-1, until I can afford a Zana Deux. I may just eventually see what the 701s offer in sound quality later on though.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #208 of 672
Quote:

I ordered a pair of Equinox cables yesterday. I like the overall 600 sound, but the voices sound just a bit recessed to me. Just as long as they come forward a bit, then I'm fine. What's crazy is that I could've bought the K701's for $50 cheaper. Well, maybe I'll check into the 701's another time.

After the Equinox, I'll be pretty much done with the 'upgraditis' except maybe some new tubes for the EF-1, until I can afford a Zana Deux. I may just eventually see what the 701s offer in sound quality later on though.

Hehehe I've heard that before. I think getting out of headfi is the best bet for a cure for upgradeitis. The hd600 is my favorite overall headphone among the ones I've had or heard though and has kept me happy the longest compared to the others

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #209 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehehe I've heard that before. I think getting out of headfi is the best bet for a cure for upgradeitis. The hd600 is my favorite overall headphone among the ones I've had or heard though and has kept me happy the longest compared to the others

lol upgraditis is a devastating disease. At first I was going to get the 595s based on a recommendation from a gaming forum. Then I went to amazon to check them out. Seen the link to the hd600s for a hundred dollars more. Something got a hold of me and said go for the quality. Decided to get the hd600s and did some reading up on them. All of a sudden it said I needed an amp. I purchased some cheap 40 dollar amp. Then did more reading. Supposedly cheap amps didn't do any good with it. Seen the EF-1 on sale. Purchased that. I heard that a DAC was needed to really bring out even more out of the sound. Purchased the Emu0404 soon thereafter...

Finally, I read how insufficient the stock cables were. Bought a pair of HD650 cables just to see the difference a cable would make. I found they improved things in some aspects but regressed in others. Then I read how much the Equinox cable would improve the sound. Then I'm out 300 more dollars.

Ahhh well...

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #210 of 672
Not sure if I have posted here before...
biggrin.gif

Had the UM2 and perfectly content. Logged onto head-fi for the first time in 7 months and purchased the ESW9 in Aug on the back of the looks, but also the promise of beautiful sound. Best portable can I have had the pleasure of using and my UM2 have been eating dust since. With my curiosity piqued I purchased the HD600 last month. Wow. Hugging my ears all snug and warm. Plenty enough bass for me despite some claims to the contrary. Another level and then some above the ESW9 and this was out of the box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back