The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Dec 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #166 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got done listening to my first round of songs with the new 600s.

Wow... these phones are really incredible! I can't really understand how anyone would call them "dark" or "slow". They are open and clear, and leagues beyond 2003 DT-880, for my personal tastes!

I have a question, though (and I'll post this in the amp forum, as well): I'm going to give them some time to get used to the current gain setting on my Little Dot MKII, but I thought I'd get some feedback in the meantime. The LD was set at the lowest gain setting, and I had forgot to open it up and change the setting before the Senns arrived, assuming that these "power hungry" cans would be really quiet at that setting. However, I'm finding that I'm never turning the dial past 20%, even on quiet songs.

So the question is: are there any benefits to changing to the higher gain setting, since it is "matched" (or "fit", in the manual) for high impedance phones, other than volume gain? I find that, contrary to what I've read, they're actually a little light on the bass right now. I would have assumed that these phones being bass-light would mean that they're underpowered, but like I said, I'm not using more than 15-20% of the dial...

Any thoughts?

Well I have the MKIII, but when I asked at the LD forums, they told me it didn't matter - it was really just to allow you to use the amp at it's "most efficient" setting (which is around 35-50% volume level) with higher-impedance cans - sound quality should not be any different. So as long as it is loud enough you should be fine. I have my MKIII on the highest setting because the manual said it was for 300ohm or higher - but it is actually far more than enough. I am actually thinking of backing it off a bit to better match my 80ohm Beyers (yet still drive the senns just fine).

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #167 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have the MKIII, but when I asked at the LD forums, they told me it didn't matter - it was really just to allow you to use the amp at it's "most efficient" setting (which is around 35-50% volume level) with higher-impedance cans - sound quality should not be any different. So as long as it is loud enough you should be fine. I have my MKIII on the highest setting because the manual said it was for 300ohm or higher - but it is actually far more than enough. I am actually thinking of backing it off a bit to better match my 80ohm Beyers (yet still drive the senns just fine).

Okay, thanks so much! So, this little amp can do more than I thought...
biggrin.gif

I may mess with some different tubes, though, to try to get a bit more bass out. I've got Mullards on right now, which I thought would have been good, but I'll try some Tung Sols later to see if I like them.

No matter in the end, though: the clarity and openness of the entire rest of the frequency range is outstanding, and more than makes up for the lean bottom end!

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #169 of 672
Quote:

No matter in the end, though: the clarity and openness of the entire rest of the frequency range is outstanding, and more than makes up for the lean bottom end!

Since we both have JVC HA-RX900s I was wondering how the HD-600s compare to them. How much different are the sound signatures and SQ wise do the HD-600s crush the JVCs? I'm hoping so and I expect so. I plan on getting D-2000s or HD-600/580s next.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #170 of 672
Update: tubes, tubes, tubes... duh.

I changed the driver tubes from Mullard CV131 to Tung-Sol 6AK5, and the power tubes from Russian 6H6N-N cccp to 6H6N-N, and the bass I was looking for came out of its hiding place.

These headphones are fantastic, just fantastic. This was definitely the right move for me!

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #171 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we both have JVC HA-RX900s I was wondering how the HD-600s compare to them. How much different are the sound signatures and SQ wise do the HD-600s crush the JVCs? I'm hoping so and I expect so. I plan on getting D-2000s or HD-600/580s next.

Well, they're different. In an absolute sense, yes: the HD-600s obliterate the HA-RX900s.

However...

I still like the punchy flavor of the JVCs, and plan on keeping them (and actually using them!). They can't compare with the Sennheiser's imaging and soundstage, and certainly not its clarity and sense of openness and space... but it's still a great headphone!
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #172 of 672
Quote:

Wow... these phones are really incredible! I can't really understand how anyone would call them "dark" or "slow". They are open and clear, and leagues beyond 2003 DT-880, for my personal tastes!

. . . "minor leagues" at best! : )

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #173 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . "minor leagues" at best! : )

Not for my tastes! Sure, the Beyers may win in the detail department, but in overall frequency response and soundstage, I really don't think they can touch the 600s.

In my opinion, of course.
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #174 of 672
I'm sorry... did I say I loved these headphones?

I've changed my mind now.

That was an understatement.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #175 of 672
After about nine years of owning the HD580 (same drivers as the 600, I even have the 580s in 650 grills and headband), I heard them balanced. Needless to say, they are beastly. It's like pouring a monster truck into your ears.
580smile.gif
Also, nothing beats the comfort of aged Sennheisers, IMO. I'm not sure whether I prefer the 580s or the 650s at the moment. Please don't hurt me (there's prob a 580 appreciation thread around).

I've read that senns benefit greatly from being balanced while other phones may not benefit as much. I'll be testing this out. GS1000 is next, then the AH-D7000. Waiting for reviews on the ATH-A2000x, as they are likely to be my next purchase after the D7000. I'm not interested in acquiring any discontinued or old limited edition phones unfortunately.

While the x-can v3, Head direct EF1, LD MK III, and LD I+ are capable of driving the Senns, I don't think they open up the Senns to what they are really capable of. Going balanced provided a very nice level of separation and detail. The Senns are a lot more holographic sounding (realistic) and engaging. Muddy bass? Nope. Laid back? Hardly. I'd really love to hear if sub $1k SE amps can do this. I believe a lot of what I'm hearing has to do with the balance topology. Is the LD MK VI with tung sol 5998s and tung sol vt229 worth 3x the price of the ef1 to me? Hell yea.

Sorry for the ramble, love the the Senns now more than ever.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #176 of 672
Quote:

Not for my tastes! Sure, the Beyers may win in the detail department, but in overall frequency response and soundstage, I really don't think they can touch the 600s.

In my opinion, of course.
wink.gif

I respectfully disagree w/r/to soundstage, too. . . . and bass extension . . . and treble extension . . . : )

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #178 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respectfully disagree w/r/to soundstage, too. . . . and bass extension . . . and treble extension . . . : )

We seriously need to swap ears sometime.
wink.gif

Although I "might" agree with you on the treble extension.
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #179 of 672
I'm just surprised at how well these phones get better and better the higher the quality of equipment you put behind them. Last thing I need to finish off this first setup is the Equinox cable.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #180 of 672
I used to have beyer DT 990 and have alessandro MS-1 and etymotic er4p right now. I'm not satisfied with the alessandro and like the beyers more. Would I like the hd 600 or akg 701 more with rock, pop and classical music?
I like my mids and treble also. Im currently using a keces dac 151 and a SOHA tube amplifier.

Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back