The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Nov 24, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #151 of 672
Must... resist... purchase...

I'm fairly happy with my 595, but it's certainly not perfect. In particular, I'm not sure how to describe it, but it seems to have an odd coloration, especially in the upper highs. It could also use a bit stronger and more distinct deep bass, though that's less important to me.

Driven from the headamp on the Zhaolu 2.5c, would the 600 offer a decent improvement? I'm sure there are better sources out there, but how would this combination hold up for now?

Also, some people say the 600 is darker than the 595, and others say it's brighter. Is there a synergy issue going on there, or are people picking up on different parts of the spectrum?

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #152 of 672
People are picking up different parts of the spectrum... The 595s are brighter in the sense that they are more forward(upper mids to lower highs) but the 600s seem to give more upper highs detail which sometimes make people think they are brighter

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #153 of 672
These are my first pair of high quality headphones. I got them about 5 days ago or so. Just got the EF1 amp as well. They sound excellent together.

My next plan of upgrade is the cable or I may change the tubes around in the EF1.

I have a question. What are the differences in sound between solid state and tube amp? Is solid state a clearer, more sterile sound, while tubes give the sound more weight?

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #154 of 672
Eeee eee eeee!!!

They're estimated to be delivered tomorrow...
biggrin.gif

I just hope that the "high impedance" switch mode on my Little Dot MK-II will do them justice!

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #155 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eeee eee eeee!!!

They're estimated to be delivered tomorrow...
biggrin.gif

I just hope that the "high impedance" switch mode on my Little Dot MK-II will do them justice!

You'll be just fine - on my MKIII the hi-gain is actually too much for my 600s!

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #156 of 672
^^ Have u tried powering HD600 directly via Zero DAC?

i was thinkin of buying it but will have to sell my desktop amp

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #157 of 672
I have and it does a decent job, but my Little Dot blows it away as an amp. The Zero is a much better DAC than an amp. I've never heard the amps in your sig, but personally I'd get rid of my Zero before I got rid of my Little Dot.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #158 of 672
well the amp that i use is a product of a Singapore based company. Due to this it doesnt cost a bomb.

How much is your Little Dot btw?

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #159 of 672
The MKIII was $200 US - plus shipping of course which was also pricey, but I'd assume you wouldn't have that problem. LD is a Chinese company although I don't recall exactly where - Hong Kong maybe? For US customers the best way is through eBay - not sure if that would apply for you though.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #160 of 672
oh..i always thought Little dot was a premium brand which costed around $500.

if its $200 ..i think i can afford it.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #161 of 672
They make models that go up to around $600 I think, but they're known for being "bang-for-the-buck" models. Great sound for the price.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #162 of 672
I just got my E-MU 0404 through the mail yesterday. It was tough to set it up on Windows Vista 64, but well worth it. It corrected a few of my qualms with the sound I've been getting out of the phones. The E-MU delivered a detailed sound and also moved the vocals forward. I just have to get some new cables so I can plug my amp into the E-MU. They don't have an RCA output.

I'll 'enter into a relationship' with these phones, meaning I'll stick with them and build around them instead of jumping from headphone to headphone. I guess I'm a sennheiser man now lol.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #163 of 672
Sorry if this feels like threadjacking, but since I've narrowed down my selections to the 600 and the A900, does anyone in here have experience with trying out both and comparing them?

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #164 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuffox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this feels like threadjacking, but since I've narrowed down my selections to the 600 and the A900, does anyone in here have experience with trying out both and comparing them?

The A900 Limited is better than the A900 Art, unless you re-cable the Art and do internal dampening mods. Then they both sound better than any of the three pairs of V3 Darth Beyer that I have heard.

The A900 doesn't need a lot of power, while the HD600 does need a decent amp to sound it's best. Both have a fairly neutral frequency response, and fairly decent soundstage. However the A900 cannot match the detail and resolution of the HD600 and in complex orchestral pieces the sounds will all blur together (as one of many examples).

So, the HD600 will scale up and the better your amp and source and cables are, the better it sounds - till by the time you are running a balanced DAC and amp the HD600 will compete with headphones 3-4x their cost. I'll put my balanced HD600 up against single ended $1800 HP-1000 and $1000 re-cabled RS-1 any day (Blutarsky and I have done it). The A900 will be held back at that point.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #165 of 672
I just got done listening to my first round of songs with the new 600s.

Wow... these phones are really incredible! I can't really understand how anyone would call them "dark" or "slow". They are open and clear, and leagues beyond 2003 DT-880, for my personal tastes!

I have a question, though (and I'll post this in the amp forum, as well): I'm going to give them some time to get used to the current gain setting on my Little Dot MKII, but I thought I'd get some feedback in the meantime. The LD was set at the lowest gain setting, and I had forgot to open it up and change the setting before the Senns arrived, assuming that these "power hungry" cans would be really quiet at that setting. However, I'm finding that I'm never turning the dial past 20%, even on quiet songs.

So the question is: are there any benefits to changing to the higher gain setting, since it is "matched" (or "fit", in the manual) for high impedance phones, other than volume gain? I find that, contrary to what I've read, they're actually a little light on the bass right now. I would have assumed that these phones being bass-light would mean that they're underpowered, but like I said, I'm not using more than 15-20% of the dial...

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back