The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Sep 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #616 of 672
What does everybody like for a custom cable for their HD 600? I'm using Black Dragon, but was thinking of trying something else.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #617 of 672
What does everybody like for a custom cable for their HD 600? I'm using Black Dragon, but was thinking of trying something else.

I have a Pure Solid 2.0 headphone and Reference Pure Silver USB cable made by Lavricables. They are both silver cables and are still in the 150 hour burn in period they recommend. Even so, they are great. I noticed the most difference from the USB cable. But the headphone cable definitely tightens the sound up and enhances clarity.

For reference, I am using Macbook Pro, Schiit Modi 2, Schiit Vali. My first setup. Pretty basic but I'm really loving it.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #618 of 672
Thanks Starcruncher, that useful information!

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #619 of 672
Contact cCasper he builds great quality cables for a lot less than the botique shops. Just tell him what materials you want an he'll build it for u 

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #620 of 672
I posted this in the other Sennheiser thread but figured it might be OK to post it here too:

OK guys, help me out here. I just yesterday got a pair of Sennheiser 600s for $263 bucks (a steal) from Amazon in like new condition. So originally, I have a pair of 558s which I freaking LOVE. I wear them constantly and think they're basically about perfect for my tastes. They're musical, engaging, and the sound just seems to melt right into you. They're comforting and laid back and smooth.

So anyway, I was looking for an upgrade
rolleyes.gif
and since I loved the 558s, I figured Sennheiser higher grade would be great. I read the reviews for the 600 and they seemed to match what I heard in the 558s by the description of the sound and what I was looking for in a headphone. I could've got the 650s but the bass signature kind of threw me off them.

Anyway, so I got the 600s and I've had them on my head for a total of about 15 hours now and I'm just not loving them. The problems: they're fairly sterile and not engaging, and I think the treble is killing my ears. I've literally got a headache from these and my ears feel as if they've been pricked by pick axes. I had the same problem when I modded my 558s (by taking out the rubber sticky piece) to sound like the 598s which everyone swore by --- the treble/highs were just too sharp. I feel like the 600s are in between the 558s and 598s on that level...not as painful as the 598s but still causing earaches.  (note: I never get headaches with the 558s)

The good: balanced, clean, clear, great fit...they're not as smooth or laid back, I feel, as the 558s. They're a bit more aggressive, if that makes sense. They're  more analytical instead of musical. More "edgy". I'm fine with that, I can learn to deal....but the thing that really is killing me is probably the treble. The bass is slightly deeper than the 558s and sounds great. [never had any issues with the lack of bass on the 558s either] (I'm not a bass head, and I honestly like bass shy music)

Is there a way to tame that sharpness out? Maybe a way to add some musicality? I am using the stock cable. Do I need to upgrade the cable or get balanced cables? I know it's not the DAC (Geek Out 450) because everything else I've ever played on the DAC sounds great. Any ideas? Is what I'm hearing normal?

I want to love these but at this point it's not happening.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #621 of 672
  I posted this in the other Sennheiser thread but figured it might be OK to post it here too:

OK guys, help me out here. I just yesterday got a pair of Sennheiser 600s for $263 bucks (a steal) from Amazon in like new condition. So originally, I have a pair of 558s which I freaking LOVE. I wear them constantly and think they're basically about perfect for my tastes. They're musical, engaging, and the sound just seems to melt right into you. They're comforting and laid back and smooth.

So anyway, I was looking for an upgrade
rolleyes.gif
and since I loved the 558s, I figured Sennheiser higher grade would be great. I read the reviews for the 600 and they seemed to match what I heard in the 558s by the description of the sound and what I was looking for in a headphone. I could've got the 650s but the bass signature kind of threw me off them.

Anyway, so I got the 600s and I've had them on my head for a total of about 15 hours now and I'm just not loving them. The problems: they're fairly sterile and not engaging, and I think the treble is killing my ears. I've literally got a headache from these and my ears feel as if they've been pricked by pick axes. I had the same problem when I modded my 558s (by taking out the rubber sticky piece) to sound like the 598s which everyone swore by --- the treble/highs were just too sharp. I feel like the 600s are in between the 558s and 598s on that level...not as painful as the 598s but still causing earaches.  (note: I never get headaches with the 558s)

The good: balanced, clean, clear, great fit...they're not as smooth or laid back, I feel, as the 558s. They're a bit more aggressive, if that makes sense. They're  more analytical instead of musical. More "edgy". I'm fine with that, I can learn to deal....but the thing that really is killing me is probably the treble. The bass is slightly deeper than the 558s and sounds great. [never had any issues with the lack of bass on the 558s either] (I'm not a bass head, and I honestly like bass shy music)

Is there a way to tame that sharpness out? Maybe a way to add some musicality? I am using the stock cable. Do I need to upgrade the cable or get balanced cables? I know it's not the DAC (Geek Out 450) because everything else I've ever played on the DAC sounds great. Any ideas? Is what I'm hearing normal?

Not sure what to tell you. Make sure you not listening to loud. I've listened to headphones that where so smooth I ended up listening too loud and eventually the treble started to really bother me. Also have yuo tried a different source/device and DAC/AMP? Lastly, maybe you very treble sensitive, though these are considered to not be very bright and a bit rolled off at the top. Lastly, are you certain there are the real thing?

Just thinking out loud. My HD 600 are due to arrive by next Friday, so I've never heard them before.

Good luck. I expect my HD 600 to arrive

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #622 of 672
I upgraded to the O2 + ODAC combo and HD600, the HD600 arrived much earlier than I expected so I am plugging it into different things to try it out even none of them are supposed to have enough power to drive the HD600, still got 2 weeks or so till the O2 ODAC arrives its killing me lol.

I tried:
Creative X-Fi HD USB (connected to RCA out, not headphone out, due to poor output impedance I read)
Hifiman HM-700
Phone

I am just wondering, how does not having enough power to drive the HD600 affects its sound quality? I am surprised at max volume the HD600 is just loud enough when plugged in to my phone.

I know it is supposed to sound bad when I connect a 300 ohm headphones to these sources, but I am just curious about the science and the differences it can make. Also lastly, just want to confirm I won't be damaging my HD600 by connected to these low output devices, and I am safe to use these for burn in, right?

Thanks and I look forward to receiving my O2 ODAC so I can try my HD600 for real!

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #623 of 672

I'm sort of in a similar boat. I tested both the 600 and 650's and while the 600s were a bit sharp for my liking, the vocals sounded more accurate and better to my ears.

Now that I've got the 600s now, I feel they are pretty sharp and a bit piercing with certain vocals.

Does Burn in change anything or tame the highs? Maybe Te one at the shop was more burnt in?

I'm also pairing it with a Hugo. Am I getting close to the best SQ out of the HD600s with that? Or would it sound a lot better with a desktop amp?

So anyway, I was looking for an upgrade :rolleyes: and since I loved the 558s, I figured Sennheiser higher grade would be great. I read the reviews for the 600 and they seemed to match what I heard in the 558s by the description of the sound and what I was looking for in a headphone. I could've got the 650s but the bass signature kind of threw me off them.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #624 of 672
Hmmm since someone brought up custom cables, maybe I'll ask here as well.

I have a chance to pick up a Clou "Red Jaspis" headphone cable for my 600's for around $45 shipped. I'm not a big cable guy to be honest. I've just never thought the end result was worth the cash, but at this price it's hard not to just try it. I did some searching and there hasn't been much mention of this cable in some time. Anybody wanna chime in on wether it's a worthy upgrade? Were there issues with these cables I should know about? Any info would help.

Chain is MacMini>optical>Bifrost 4490>Valhalla 2 NOS Russian tubes

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #625 of 672
Hmmm since someone brought up custom cables, maybe I'll ask here as well.

I have a chance to pick up a Clou "Red Jaspis" headphone cable for my 600's for around $45 shipped. I'm not a big cable guy to be honest. I've just never thought the end result was worth the cash, but at this price it's hard not to just try it. I did some searching and there hasn't been much mention of this cable in some time. Anybody wanna chime in on wether it's a worthy upgrade? Were there issues with these cables I should know about? Any info would help.

Chain is MacMini>optical>Bifrost 4490>Valhalla 2 NOS Russian tubes

I also thought that cables wouldn't make much of a difference in headphones, but discovered... they do. Especially the cable the HD600 ships with is not really high quality. I also have a HD650 and using the HD650 cable on the HD600 changes the sound signature, you don't need to be an expert for hearing that. I ended up buying a cable upgrade, spending even US$75 and never regretted my purchase. So I'd say: definitively worth a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #626 of 672
Not sure what to tell you. Make sure you not listening to loud. I've listened to headphones that where so smooth I ended up listening too loud and eventually the treble started to really bother me. Also have yuo tried a different source/device and DAC/AMP? Lastly, maybe you very treble sensitive, though these are considered to not be very bright and a bit rolled off at the top. Lastly, are you certain there are the real thing?

Just thinking out loud. My HD 600 are due to arrive by next Friday, so I've never heard them before.

Good luck. I expect my HD 600 to arrive

I burned in the 600s for about 35 or 40 hours and all previous complaints were resolved.

You will be impressed at the end but it will take time.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #627 of 672
I also thought that cables wouldn't make much of a difference in headphones, but discovered... they do. Especially the cable the HD600 ships with is not really high quality. I also have a HD650 and using the HD650 cable on the HD600 changes the sound signature, you don't need to be an expert for hearing that. I ended up buying a cable upgrade, spending even US$75 and never regretted my purchase. So I'd say: definitively worth a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may do to you.  I also tried the HD650 cable vs the HD600 cable - and in a blind test couldn't tell the difference.  And the cable for the HD600 IS good quality - mine has lasted for years and still going strong.

I guess I need to get another HD650 cable so I can measure capacitance and inductance (should have done it last time I had the two).  Given that the measurable differences - and taking into account the overall length - differences won't be in the audible range - so I fail to see how the cable will change the sound signature.

I understand a switch for the better build, the 6.3mm plug - but not for the imaginary sonic change ......

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #628 of 672

It may do to you.  I also tried the HD650 cable vs the HD600 cable - and in a blind test couldn't tell the difference.  And the cable for the HD600 IS good quality - mine has lasted for years and still going strong.

I guess I need to get another HD650 cable so I can measure capacitance and inductance (should have done it last time I had the two).  Given that the measurable differences - and taking into account the overall length - differences won't be in the audible range - so I fail to see how the cable will change the sound signature.

I understand a switch for the better build, the 6.3mm plug - but not for the imaginary sonic change ......

I didn't notice a sonic difference between the stock 600 cable vs the 650 either. I did prefer the build and native 6.3mm termination however and ended up keeping it. The cable debate is easily the most confusing of all audiophile subjects IMO. There seems to be no middle ground what so ever. It's either "oh yes! listen to the massive differences this super expensive cable makes" or the out right declaration that they do nothing sonically. I was hoping to get some opinions on the Clou "Red Jaspis" cable specifically. Maybe just to see for myself for a decent price, but seems like the only info I can find on it is a decade or so old and it all falls into the same black or white opinions. Either "Wow! this thing is a amazing!" or "Meh, its pretty I guess" haha.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #629 of 672
Yeah - easier to avoid the debate.  You won't change people's minds.  If they're convinced they hear a difference, and it's worth it to them, then their choice.  But for the cable lengths being discussed, and given that both are OFC copper, the difference in capacitance and and inductance can't scientifically relate to an audible difference.  I'd definitely buy an after-market cable for aesthetics, build etc - but not for sonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back