The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #602 of 672
Took delivery today from Amazon, great price but didn't need the two pairs they delivered. One pair on its the
way back.
Straight out of the box hooked up to Naim head +napsc and Stravinsky already in the CD, violins where impressive but everything a bit veiled after my Grados, but 10mins and it'd all cleared and opened up more. Impressed with the overall tone and detail, come across as easily separating all the instruments and yet producing a cohesive cogent sound. Really took me into the music. In a word enjoyable , what more could one want. One con do not like the cable, a mess unravelling.

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #605 of 672
couple questions...

1. Where can I buy those tiny driver springs? (seems my left cable looses contact)

2. My right headphone seems harder to turn left-right (I cannot disassemble that metal headband part from that arch like part that holds right headphone -there seems to be some sort of weird metal screw - or is it rivet?) I cleaned it with alcohol and it helped a bit. Should I lubricate it?

3. Should I remove small foam from driver?

4. I have Xonar DX. Do I need an amp nad how much improvement could I get (hp are loud enough at 30-35% volume)

Tnx

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #606 of 672
Sennheiser HD600 is back for $260

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html

Code: SD12142014 (I had to type it in... didn't work if I copy/pasted for some reason)

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #609 of 672
AT last I appreciate and enjoy my HD600s.

It's been a peculiar journey, caused, I suspect by impedance and wax.

My chain is an ODAC to a somewhat antique Pre-amp (McCormak TLC-1) to an iCAN. I've been leaving the volume on the iCAN high, and using the pre-amp volume for control. I've been using EQ on the PC.

I'm hard put to describe exactly in what way the sound has just not been right. I've been tempted, at times, to back to my AT ADH900s, except they now sound thin by comparison.

The AD600s have been sounding dull. Unexciting and involving. I really should have thought further than blaming the 'phones, and done more diagnostics. I got around to this partly as a result of having ear-plug-sixed lumps of wax (yes, I know you didn't really want the gory details) removed from my ears and wondering if stuff would sound different. No miracles, I wish I could say that the world opened up, blah blah, but HF hearing loss has been my lot for quite a while, so no big disappointment except  either, except that the HD600s didn't sound much better.

Stupid things I should have tried three months ago...

I turned the pre-amp up and the hp-amp down. Yes! Improvement! Is this audiophoolery? I'm hoping that someone might help answer that. The pre-amp has two outputs, passive and bufferred. The passive is truly passive, and works even with the power off, and I remember reading to the effect that the output impedence changes according to the volume setting. But the bufferred out does not. It never seemed to make a difference with the ADH900s, except the sound was slightly cleaner from the passive out.

Next step: forget the pre-amp, connect direct, which is the thing I should probably have done on day 1. Yes, improvement.

So... Do I chuck the pre-amp? Hmmm... apart from being a rather nice piece of hifi history to have on the desk, its purpose is, typically for a pre-amp, source selection, balance control etc.

Connected the iCAN to the buffered out (swapped with the speakers). This is where the audiophile gushing begins, because I am really (but not 100%) happy with the sound, which seems fuller and better defined from high to low. In fact, I cannot believe the low, and keep checking that the iCAN XBass is switched off (it was permanently on for the ADH900s). It's a delight to listen to.

Why not 100%? Not sure... something makes me want to not use for as many hours as I might have done with the ADH900s. It could be my ears.

What I should do... objective testing. Set up a loopback or play into another system for measurement. There is one immediate problem with that: sure I would like to know what affected what and what part my brain played, but, much as I believe in its necessity, the trouble with objectivism is that it is hard work.  And I'm enjoying the music.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #611 of 672
just got my hd600's from amazon. I just absolutely love them.  They are brand new but nothing about these sound laid back in the least.  In fact I love them so much I'm saving up my pennies to buy its brother the hd650.  Coming from an old pair of sr80's, a k701, q701, and k7xx I was really blown away with how good these sound.  They don't go deep like the k7xx's, which i also love, but they sound so right its hard to put into words.  I've yet to listen to them with a proper amp.  All I have is an AMB mini 3 which seems to struggle mightily with the akgs.  I guess for the time being I'll go with a schitt magni/modi stack.  I'm just grinning from ear to ear right now.  They are marvelous.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #612 of 672
  AT last I appreciate and enjoy my HD600s.

It's been a peculiar journey, caused, I suspect by impedance and wax.

My chain is an ODAC to a somewhat antique Pre-amp (McCormak TLC-1) to an iCAN. I've been leaving the volume on the iCAN high, and using the pre-amp volume for control. I've been using EQ on the PC.

I'm hard put to describe exactly in what way the sound has just not been right. I've been tempted, at times, to back to my AT ADH900s, except they now sound thin by comparison.

The AD600s have been sounding dull. Unexciting and involving. I really should have thought further than blaming the 'phones, and done more diagnostics. I got around to this partly as a result of having ear-plug-sixed lumps of wax (yes, I know you didn't really want the gory details) removed from my ears and wondering if stuff would sound different. No miracles, I wish I could say that the world opened up, blah blah, but HF hearing loss has been my lot for quite a while, so no big disappointment except  either, except that the HD600s didn't sound much better.

Stupid things I should have tried three months ago...

I turned the pre-amp up and the hp-amp down. Yes! Improvement! Is this audiophoolery? I'm hoping that someone might help answer that. The pre-amp has two outputs, passive and bufferred. The passive is truly passive, and works even with the power off, and I remember reading to the effect that the output impedence changes according to the volume setting. But the bufferred out does not. It never seemed to make a difference with the ADH900s, except the sound was slightly cleaner from the passive out.

Next step: forget the pre-amp, connect direct, which is the thing I should probably have done on day 1. Yes, improvement.

So... Do I chuck the pre-amp? Hmmm... apart from being a rather nice piece of hifi history to have on the desk, its purpose is, typically for a pre-amp, source selection, balance control etc.

Connected the iCAN to the buffered out (swapped with the speakers). This is where the audiophile gushing begins, because I am really (but not 100%) happy with the sound, which seems fuller and better defined from high to low. In fact, I cannot believe the low, and keep checking that the iCAN XBass is switched off (it was permanently on for the ADH900s). It's a delight to listen to.

Why not 100%? Not sure... something makes me want to not use for as many hours as I might have done with the ADH900s. It could be my ears.

What I should do... objective testing. Set up a loopback or play into another system for measurement. There is one immediate problem with that: sure I would like to know what affected what and what part my brain played, but, much as I believe in its necessity, the trouble with objectivism is that it is hard work.  And I'm enjoying the music.

Yea that sounds about right, it's not audiofoolerly, it's circuit design.

No circuit is perfect, thus each will have... a negative effect on the sound. Some of these effects are by design like the "color" that a tube adds, or the "color" that a cable adds. Other flaws how ever, create either noise or the dampen the music. Which usually leads to a negative experince audio wise. Now amps... amplify the sound generated by a dac, which includes any colour or defects recived from the Dac it self, an including any color or defects that exist within the amp. As a general rule of thumb you want a line out from what ever dac ur using. Straight into an amp. A pre amp is useful if you have multiple sources and multiple amps [which I did at one point] an you'd want this to again be passive. In theory with the power off your preamp should still carry that signal from input to output, as it's just a pass through. A metal wire for the signal to travel through, Though if you have multiple inputs an only a single out put, then you may need power to switch between the inputs if you've got multiple ones plugged in

How ever, the best pratice for listening is Line out from your Dac into your amp. Allow your amp to adjust the volume. An avoid any complications or excessive circuits in your chain. As chances are like you may have found out, it may have a negative effect on your listening experince

That said, good to hear your enjoying the HD 600! It's a good headphone. An it's comfy 

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #613 of 672
  ... ... ...

That said, good to hear your enjoying the HD 600! It's a good headphone. An it's comfy 

It's been a while. Thanks for catching up with that!

Yes, eight months on I'm completely acclimatised to the HD600s, very happy with their music, and find their clamping just right for my fairly thin head.

Since then, I've been through some DAC adventures, trying out a Schiit Gungnir (and a Bottlehead Crack on the side). I was really keen to find a DAC for the forseeable future, and felt that the Gungnir would be it. It wasn't. It does not suit me at all. I'm very grateful to a friend, who gave me first refusal on it, and then insisted I try before I buy, with no obligation. I'm trying out a Geek Out right now. 

It's going to be a while before I look to changing the HD600s, though: they have plenty of growing space.

Actually, I'm a bit two-minded about all this: it is fun trying out new gear, and, if I was  wealthy (I'm not) , I could probably make a hobby out of buying it --- but really, I just want nice stuff to listen to for, at least, years, if not the foreseeable until-something-actually-breaks future.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #614 of 672

It's been a while. Thanks for catching up with that!

Yes, eight months on I'm completely acclimatised to the HD600s, very happy with their music, and find their clamping just right for my fairly thin head.

Since then, I've been through some DAC adventures, trying out a Schiit Gungnir (and a Bottlehead Crack on the side). I was really keen to find a DAC for the forseeable future, and felt that the Gungnir would be it. It wasn't. It does not suit me at all. I'm very grateful to a friend, who gave me first refusal on it, and then insisted I try before I buy, with no obligation. I'm trying out a Geek Out right now. 

It's going to be a while before I look to changing the HD600s, though: they have plenty of growing space.

Actually, I'm a bit two-minded about all this: it is fun trying out new gear, and, if I was  wealthy (I'm not) , I could probably make a hobby out of buying it --- but really, I just want nice stuff to listen to for, at least, years, if not the foreseeable until-something-actually-breaks future.

The HD 600 wasn't my first can, I had heard a LOT of others before I listend to it, an I'll agree that it has growing room. It has it's own sound signiture like everything but I feel despite that it's resolving enough to grow. I would play around with tubes on your Crack as I enjoyed my HD 600 with a Schiit Vali.

On the Dac side, I prefer the ESS Sabre Chips my self, an I tend to stick with Balanced Audio GD gear, since almost everything I own is balanced now

Though I also listen to a lot of music on my HM 901, so I'm not 100% sure on which dacs are worth having. I went from a $100 oDac to a $600 NFB 10ES2 balanced Amp/Dac combo an I've loved it since. I really don't have a desire to upgrade from that unit actually. Same with my iBasso PB2, the only thing I want to upgrade is my hm 901 xD I want the HM 901u or the hm 901s just for the battery life an the improved Case [since the hm901 outer case is kinda crappy xD] but sound wise the 901 is imo end game. Just needs some better plastic to hold it [which Hifiman addressed with the 901 u/s models] 

But I think you'll have more fun trying out different amps than you will dacs

an Cash wise, you really only need about $500 cash in hand to start buying sell an trading gear. I did it for a few years my self an it was fun! I might get back into it, got a new job I'm starting that's going to pay well enough.  

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #615 of 672
The Crack was a loaner, just for the experience, and it has gone home now.

To be honest,  I don't really want to get into valves (tubes, as you you people say). I am old enough to remember when everything that produced sound (or a picture) had glowing things in it, and for a long, long time I was prejudiced against them because of poor reliability and booming sound. Yes, I know that neither of those are true any longer. The modified re-tubed Crack certainly had warmth, but I have learnt that a good amp can sound just simply good, SS or valve. They can be different, but they are not necessarily so.

The other thing is that I live in the tropics. The last thing I want is a room heater, at any time of year. I know a guy who has to keep a fan pointed at his valve hifi integrated amp! That's not for me: we spend enough on Air Conditioning as it is.

Interest to know of your experience, and satisfaction, with the Audio-GD. Sounds like a healthy relationship!

It is a little hard to buy, swap and sell here. Pricing varies widely, in India, on hifi gear, from occasional bargains, through "normal" pricing, to how-can-any-distributor-justify-twice-the-price!  We also face fairly substantial customs duty if we buy from abroad, although that was, to some extent, true when I was in UK too: duty+VAT+fee (fee being what they charge us to kindly collect that duty/tax off us) often made stuff not-actually-cheaper-from-USA.

Also, although there is quite a hifi community here, there is much less interest in headphones. So far, I've only met one other person in this city whose primary listening is with 'phones.

Anyway, for now, I'll just go back to doing some saving. There's plenty of room for upgrade, but I don't find that any of my kit hurts,  so it can all be lived with
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back