The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #586 of 672
Measurements-wise, the HE-400 is not really a good headphone. High distortion, V-shaped treble and somehow, a planar that doesn't have flat bass response..

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf 

Grado headphones, being Grado headphones we know measures very badly. Here's the RS1's measurements.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS1.pdf

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #587 of 672
  Bridge the Gap? Granted, even 2-3 years ago when I just got started hear yea they were pretty great. But They aren't HiFi cans any more. I find my $160 Allesandro MS1i to be technically more balanced than the HD 600, I'm not denying that they are good headphones, but High Fidelity they aren't. Too Warm, to slow, again they are really brillant cans, super easy sound, great comfort and yes for a lot of music lovers like your Self Brooko they could be the last stop in teh train, they are really very good

but, as a High Fidelity headphone, or something that brings you as close to REAL as you can get, they are far from it. My opinion of them is... well as is, and it's a shame you've not heard an of the Hifiman Orthos, or have you heard any of the Orthos?

I think in todays market, they are not as competive as they once were, the HE 400 is starting to drop around to the same price as the HD 600 is, and it's about as "love or hate" as the HD 600 can be, but the HD 600, along with the HE 400 and DT 880/990 are in my opinion starter cans. They go for a very low budget price give you an EXCELLENT picture of what a true "high fidelity" headphone can be but as best served as starting points for those who dare down the path of an Audio Phile. Point blank, they lack accurate spacial detail, and it's that spacial placement that gets better as you move from Mid to Hi Fi, 

and again, for many users anything past an HD 600, or DT 880 might be waste as both have a great tone and a very high quality sound, but I don't think they are going to be anything beyound Mid Fi 

I have my opinion of it, I know what it sounds like and I'll stand by my recommdation of it as a starting point, as the HD 600 isn't by any means the last stop in HiFi headphones it is in my opinion an excellent starting point into HiFi 

We'll agree to disagree then - but when you read about HD800 owners who also have the HD600 and still spend time with them, and how regarded they are even for producers to check their final mix ........ 

Lets' just say that if you think these are entry-fi, then you and I are a million miles away in our definition of fidelity 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #588 of 672
Oh and I owned the MS1i.  If you can't see those as coloured - and regard them as more balanced than the HD600 
blink.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #589 of 672

We'll agree to disagree then - but when you read about HD800 owners who also have the HD600 and still spend time with them, and how regarded they are even for producers to check their final mix ........ 

Lets' just say that if you think these are entry-fi, then you and I are a million miles away in our definition of fidelity 
wink.gif

I'm an owner of an HD800 and there will always be a place in my stable for the HD650/600. To call the HD600 entry level is just hogwash.

@Mshenay, looking at your profile and having owed/own most of the cans you have tried/own, I would take the HD600 to the proverbial desert island over all of them. If they are not what you are looking for so be it, but to some of us they are exactly the mix of forgiving and accurate that we seek.

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #591 of 672
Hey guys I have bad news!

Well yesterday I opened up the ear pads on my HD 600 for the first time because I was curious to see if there was any hair in the driver ( I live with a lab retriever and my dog shaves CONSTANTLY so it NEVER hurts to check lol). I expected it to come off like it does with my 558s and upon applying pressure i noticed that the inner-foam pad (I guess you can call it that) fell right off!

NOW I CAN'T GET IT BACK ON!!!!! So the driver is sitting in the box naked with just the pads on it!

How do I put the foam back? Please help! Thanks!

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #592 of 672
I would not worry about high fI, low fi or anything in between. Today's top level will be tomorrow's mid level. Sooner or later many of us will quit chasing and just say good enough

Music is supposed to be fun and I still think the akg 240 monitors I bought 30 years ago are the best for blues and classic rock even though 240's today are a 5th level headphone

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #593 of 672
Music is supposed to be fun and I still think the akg 240 monitors I bought 30 years ago are the best for blues and classic rock even though 240's today are a 5th level headphone

You nailed it! I've enjoyed music so much just from an iPod and some earbuds....You can make yourself nuts chasing "HiFi". Been there, done that.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #594 of 672
Anybody used the Aune X1 with their HD600's? im currently using an odac+o2 but im looking for a 2nd dac/amp for another workstation and there's a decent deal for it on massdrop right now but there's not too many reviews of it around.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #596 of 672
Anybody used the Aune X1 with their HD600's? im currently using an odac+o2 but im looking for a 2nd dac/amp for another workstation and there's a decent deal for it on massdrop right now but there's not too many reviews of it around.

I just want to share my experience amp the HD600.
I love HD600 sound, but need external amp to make this 300 ohm cans able to sing..:)

I have only 2 portable amp : Ordnance .22 and O2 , 1 dekstop : old Maverick DAC/Amp D1 (upgraded tube NOS GE JAN 5670W , Opamp 627).
For me the best of 3 above amps is the upgraded D1, set up at 9 o'clock sound loud and good..I enjoyed .

If i want to upgrade/change the amp for HD600, I will go to desktop tube amp like Bottlehead Crack. Lot of HD600/650 users happy with this combination.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #598 of 672
  Have just got the HD600 today, pair with my fiio e10k now...so is it good with this dac/amp or need an upgrade?
Thanks

Congrats!  My advice would be to just enjoy the music for now.  The HD600 scales very well with better gear but sounds pretty awesome with most setups.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #600 of 672
  Hey guys I have bad news!

Well yesterday I opened up the ear pads on my HD 600 for the first time because I was curious to see if there was any hair in the driver ( I live with a lab retriever and my dog shaves CONSTANTLY so it NEVER hurts to check lol). I expected it to come off like it does with my 558s and upon applying pressure i noticed that the inner-foam pad (I guess you can call it that) fell right off!

NOW I CAN'T GET IT BACK ON!!!!! So the driver is sitting in the box naked with just the pads on it!

How do I put the foam back? Please help! Thanks!

If you still need help with this: take off the earpads, just simply lay the foam insert in there and snap back the pads :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back