The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #646 of 672
I appreciate your input, and I share your general attitude towards cables. I've heard differences between cables before, but they were so subtle that I would never notice unless I was switching back and forth between them and listening hard for differences. I don't find playing around with that as fun as trying out different cans, speakers, or to a lesser degree, amps. What I do care about is that the cable meets the basic functional and electrical requirements for the job (doesn't cause static, dropouts, noticeable frequency response anomalies, etc.) in a durable, reliable, and practical package. So hopefully if I do pull the trigger on one of these eBay cables, they meet those requirements.
What's your budget? Got this from a seller. Very durable with all quality parts

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #647 of 672
I'm new to the head-if community, so please forgive the improper location of this post - if it is improper. I just got a pair of HD 600s and am looking now for a proper amp. I have read many glowing and wonderful things about the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII and the (JDS Labs) O2 and ODAC or the O2 + ODAC; both/all setups come in around $300 so the cost differential is negligible to me. I already have an Audioquest Dragonfly, and have been using that quite happily with my previous headphones (IEMs), but I feel that with the larger demand of the HD 600, too much is being asked of the Dragonfly.

All that said I will do most of my listening at home and at work, so the setup needs to be 'portable', I'd like to stay in the $300 range, but since I have the Dragonfly, I only really need an amp to start with and I can upgrade the DAC over time. I will also be getting a new cable for the HD 600 - I don't want to turn this into a 'are cables worth it debate' I mostly want something that is shorter, stiffer, more durable, and of course equal or better SQ, but even after 3wks of taking them from home to office to home, the cable needs to be easier to manage, I can certainly see it getting inadvertently damaged regardless of how careful I try to be. I mainly mention the cable, bc different amps have different output options, and I can order my new cables to accommodate the output, and perhaps the output to better perform with the new cables(?).

So, super long first post, but the gist is: what 'portable' amp would you recommend for use with the HD 600 that is in the $300 range.

Thanks in advance, and thanks also for having this amazing place where one can learn so much about so many different products.

I would urge you to consider the Oppo HA-2.  It is portable and pairs very will with the HD-600.  I have both and love them. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #648 of 672
I'm new to the head-if community, so please forgive the improper location of this post - if it is improper. I just got a pair of HD 600s and am looking now for a proper amp. I have read many glowing and wonderful things about the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII and the (JDS Labs) O2 and ODAC or the O2 + ODAC; both/all setups come in around $300 so the cost differential is negligible to me. I already have an Audioquest Dragonfly, and have been using that quite happily with my previous headphones (IEMs), but I feel that with the larger demand of the HD 600, too much is being asked of the Dragonfly.

All that said I will do most of my listening at home and at work, so the setup needs to be 'portable', I'd like to stay in the $300 range, but since I have the Dragonfly, I only really need an amp to start with and I can upgrade the DAC over time. I will also be getting a new cable for the HD 600 - I don't want to turn this into a 'are cables worth it debate' I mostly want something that is shorter, stiffer, more durable, and of course equal or better SQ, but even after 3wks of taking them from home to office to home, the cable needs to be easier to manage, I can certainly see it getting inadvertently damaged regardless of how careful I try to be. I mainly mention the cable, bc different amps have different output options, and I can order my new cables to accommodate the output, and perhaps the output to better perform with the new cables(?).

So, super long first post, but the gist is: what 'portable' amp would you recommend for use with the HD 600 that is in the $300 range.

Thanks in advance, and thanks also for having this amazing place where one can learn so much about so many different products.
I've got the leckerton amp. Fantastic amp, highly recommend. Also any thing from Caesar at portaphile. Dude makes awesome gear.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #649 of 672
I appreciate your input, and I share your general attitude towards cables. I've heard differences between cables before, but they were so subtle that I would never notice unless I was switching back and forth between them and listening hard for differences. I don't find playing around with that as fun as trying out different cans, speakers, or to a lesser degree, amps. What I do care about is that the cable meets the basic functional and electrical requirements for the job (doesn't cause static, dropouts, noticeable frequency response anomalies, etc.) in a durable, reliable, and practical package. So hopefully if I do pull the trigger on one of these eBay cables, they meet those requirements.

I went with the $40 cables for me HD600s, but at some point I want to get some of the cheaper 12 - 17 dollar cables just to see the difference.

This is the one I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251493925186?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=550405421190&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Though I'd prefer the smaller connectors of the original cable vs the larger one this came with (similar to the HD 650).

Ummm, this is more than I paid for my HD 600s:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Songs-Audio-Galaxy-Pro-Sennheiser-headphone-replacement-upgrade-cable-HD600-650-/252102104400?hash=item3ab274d550:g:gE4AAOSwd4tTu-qG

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #650 of 672
I don't think I've enjoyed my Senns so much in many years:)    Maybe going back to the excitement of December '93 when I first got my HD580s along with a Supreme amp from Tyll then running Headroom.  

Those 580s were tweaked with 600 grills and 650 cables over the years but finally died after 23 years of sterling service.  My new 600s really don't sound different but I've paired them with a Schiit "stack" of Modi2 and Vali.  The synergy is really very very nice.  Source material is all lossless "hi-res" feed from my foobar2000 setup on my 'puter.  Having stayed with the HD580/600 series for over 2 decades speaks volumes about how much I enjoy their sound:)

On the subject of cables, I'd long lived with the HD650 one I acquired way back.  It moved from my old 580s to my new 600s.  But sitting at my computer desk these days as opposed to across a room (often with an added 15 foot Grado Prestige headphone extension cable) from a stereo system raised the "irritation flag" over the 10 foot length of the factory cable.   Figured a 6 footer would serve MUCH better.  Ended up with a NewFantasia job from low20101020 on ebay.  It easily exceeds those attributes polecrab outlined earlier in this thread.  I'm content:)

As an aside I'm also getting a 0.1m (4") PTFE copper with silver plating cable also from low20101029 on H2OFidelity's recommendation :)  This for use with my DAP and portable amp.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #652 of 672
  I just purchased a mojo dac/amp and am curious as to whether the HD-600's can be powered with it.  Or, is there a better choice in the same price range.  Thanks,

Don Ivey

I have Mojo and a pair of 600's. Mojo can drive them, but I just got some Oppo PM-3's yesterday and, FWIW, I feel the synergy of this combo surpasses the former. They're very different headphones though. Noting that I've only had 24 hours to play with my new toy, I am really, really loving the Oppo's with the Mojo. I went this route because others on Head-Fi have praised this matching. If the price is good on the 600's, because it does fluctuate somewhat drastically on Amazon, go for it. There are better pairings for them than the Mojo, but based on what some veterans say, these will be a staple in your stable for years. I certainly don't foresee getting rid of them for any reason.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #653 of 672
  I just purchased a mojo dac/amp and am curious as to whether the HD-600's can be powered with it.  Or, is there a better choice in the same price range.  Thanks,

Don Ivey

There are better choices.....I hoped the Mojo could drive them optimal but that is not the case. Mojo and Nighthawk and or Focal Spirit Pro is awesome but these are much easier to drive headphones.
Mojo can provide enough volume for the HD600 but they never sound "full" as with an amp that can deliver more voltage. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #655 of 672
  Blah. I have a choice for amp: Schiit Vali Subminiature, Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber......I can get the Magni 2 for $134, or the Vali for $63 (or $94 if purchased new).

What do I go with?

I really enjoy my Vali "subminiature" (which I bought used) with my HD600s.  Understand the original Asgard was designed to match up with the Senns.  No clue about the newer Asgard 2 although if I were opting to go solid state vice tube or hybrid from Schiit, it would be my choice.  Otherwise the Vali is "da bomb!" as the synergy with the HD600s is simply great :)  And it is my recommendation to you.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #656 of 672

I really enjoy my Vali "subminiature" (which I bought used) with my HD600s.  Understand the original Asgard was designed to match up with the Senns.  No clue about the newer Asgard 2 although if I were opting to go solid state vice tube or hybrid from Schiit, it would be my choice.  Otherwise the Vali is "da bomb!" as the synergy with the HD600s is simply great :)  And it is my recommendation to you.

Hear, hear! Vali with 600's is a really nice pairing.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #657 of 672
I'm looking for something that may not exist. What are the closest sound to the Senn 600 that are a) portable and b) over the ear? Can be either closed or open (suggestions for both?). Apparently the ATH-ESW9A are really good but they're on ear, and unfortunately I feel claustrophobic with on ear headphones.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #658 of 672
I'm looking for something that may not exist. What are the closest sound to the Senn 600 that are a) portable and b) over the ear? Can be either closed or open (suggestions for both?). Apparently the ATH-ESW9A are really good but they're on ear, and unfortunately I feel claustrophobic with on ear headphones.

Oh it exists, and it's easily the Yamaha MT220 (closed).

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #659 of 672

Oh it exists, and it's easily the Yamaha MT220 (closed).

OK, these things look sick. But are they truly portable? (full disclosure: never had experience with Yamaha headphones, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE their stereo receivers) Was trying to find something that could fold up so I can toss it into a backpack. Also, it claims the headphone cable is not detachable. How easy are these to drive?

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #660 of 672
^ I wouldn't call the MT220 very portable, they are sort of large. Another headphone that you might want to look into is the Oppo PM-3, which I haven't heard myself yet, but others have said that it's sort of similar to the HD600. I'm not sure if the PM-3 is circumaural though, but it definitely looks portable, and it folds flat.

The MT220 is fairly easy to drive, sounds great straight out of my laptop PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back