The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #346 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes - it makes them a little less intimate/forward, but a little more crisp and detailed (till they wear down again over the years).

I ask because i had a strange problem.If the earpads are new,then you are right that the sound is the way you described it above.
But i had the opposite experience with the new pads.
Check this:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/que...t=question+600

My local dealer told me that sennheiser modified them a few years back and made them a bit smaller/thinner to make the sound more intimate/forward,more toe-tapping and lively.
That's what the local dealer told me after contacting sennheiser germany.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #348 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnili /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon has these on sale for $253.99 today. Has anyone seen a lower price from an authorized dealer?

wait that's only today?

o shoot i better buy them fast. I have been debating whether to get them or not and if that price isn't permanent ima snatch it fast...but what amp should i choose to go with them.....

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #351 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock n Rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vividaudiotech.com - Headphone Amplifiers

im hearing mixed reviews on this amp for the hd600....some say it isn't that good but many say it brings out the full potential of the hd600.....

I'll toss in my thoughts that the V1 is one of the better low cost portable DAC/amps for the HD600, until you spend over $250 on a Meier 3MOVE to beat it. The synergy is there with HD600 but not with all phones (see my review). Other low to mid-cost portable DAC/amps like iBasso D2 and D3, or Nuforce Icon Mobile or Headstage Lyrix cannot drive the HD600 as well as the V1. Even the D10 and Predator could use more power for the HD600, and the Pico is almost enough. With everything else those amps top the V1 for sure.

On the other hand, the $250 3MOVE is not only better with HD600 but it also pairs up well with a wider variety of headphones. And, the 3MOVE shows off more of the potential of the HD600, but even that is topped by most desktop amps that cost the same or more.

If you don't need portable, the cheapest desktop amp that I think pairs well with the HD600 is the $189 Head-direct HiFiMan EF2 tube hybrid DAC/amp. It is not as detailed as the 3MOVE, but is at least as powerful or more, and may be a little more musical at times. It uses the same DAC chip as the 3MOVE, and costs $60 less than the 3MOVE and can be tuned by swapping out tubes.

I would take an EF2 over the V1 any day, but if I was on a budget and needed portable and could not afford the 3MOVE I would pick the Vivid V1.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #354 of 672
I just saw a pair of HD600's on Craigslist for about a hundred bucks. Seriously thinking of heading over for a listen.

But before I do I have a question about bass response. Currently I have a pair of ATH-AD700s. For those I have to EQ the bass out to +12 to get satisfying bass. Yes I know, now from what people here told me, the AD700s are considered to be "no bass" headphones.

Specifically I read a lot of reviews about the HD600 Senns as having "warm bass". This FAQ/thread describes warm bass as "Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin."

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/

That same FAQ then defines "weighty bass" as "Good low frequency response below about 50 Hz. A sense of substance and underpinning produced by deep, controlled bass. Suggesting an object of great weight or power, like a diesel locomotive."

I'd rather have "weighty bass" but I doubt I'll ever find it in an audiophile headphone.

I'll be listening to a lot of DVD and BluRay sound tracks, acoustic music (FLAC only, no MP3 garbage). I also listen to hard rock (Zeppelin, Metallica etc), and primarily female vocalists like Sade, Azam Ali, etc.

Difficulties with ESP notwithstanding, would you folks recommend these for my use as being better in the bass department than my ATH-AD700s? The 700's in all fairness are very, very good for vocals and being EQ's aren't "terrible" although complicated bass does get muddy very fast, no doubt being do to the excessive EQ(?).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #355 of 672
Dang. For that price, just get them. Don't hesitate! If you don't like them, you can easily make your money back in the FS forum, and pass the savings on to someone else.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #356 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a HD-600, may i have which cable can extend the mid to high the most?
thanks

There's no such thing. As someone who's spent 30+ years in the electronics industry, I've done frequency response sweeps agianst such things as medical imaging cameras, IEEE-802.3 physical layer conformance testing, etc, I think it's fair to say that no 10' piece of wire is going to significantly change the way your headphones sound unless iit's defective, all else being equal. At 500mw levels it ain't gonna happen in that frequency range. Get up in RF spectrum sure, but not at under 20KHz.

If it did, we'd still be using litz wire.

If someone says "cable x sounds better than cable y" they're either selling something, or on drugs.

With speaker wire, sure there's a difference, but not between brands, a $20 spool of 12 gauge wire will sound as good a $4000 spool of 12 gauge wire.

The whole cable thing is BS. Go for quality build, low resistance and you'll be good to go.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #357 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a HD-600, may i have which cable can extend the mid to high the most? as there are many cable upgrades around the market.

thanks

I had great experience changing the stock cable to the blue Cardas cable. I was very surprised that it made a noticeable difference in sound. IMO, more clearer sounding in general.

Initially, I was skeptical that a recable would make any difference at all. I was very very surprised that, in my case, it did made a difference in sound after the recabling.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #358 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontstopthemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no such thing. As someone who's spent 30+ years in the electronics industry, I've done frequency response sweeps agianst such things as medical imaging cameras, IEEE-802.3 physical layer conformance testing, etc, I think it's fair to say that no 10' piece of wire is going to significantly change the way your headphones sound unless iit's defective, all else being equal. At 500mw levels it ain't gonna happen in that frequency range. Get up in RF spectrum sure, but not at under 20KHz.

If it did, we'd still be using litz wire.

If someone says "cable x sounds better than cable y" they're either selling something, or on drugs.

With speaker wire, sure there's a difference, but not between brands, a $20 spool of 12 gauge wire will sound as good a $4000 spool of 12 gauge wire.

The whole cable thing is BS. Go for quality build, low resistance and you'll be good to go.

I never thought I would see someone posting such things on Head-Fi - however true it may be.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #359 of 672
Cardas works best for HD600. It's not the best choice for HD650 though.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #360 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas works best for HD600. It's not the best choice for HD650 though.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back