The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Aug 3, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #361 of 672

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Posts
9,207
Likes
138
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontstopthemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no such thing. As someone who's spent 30+ years in the electronics industry, I've done frequency response sweeps agianst such things as medical imaging cameras, IEEE-802.3 physical layer conformance testing, etc, I think it's fair to say that no 10' piece of wire is going to significantly change the way your headphones sound unless iit's defective, all else being equal. At 500mw levels it ain't gonna happen in that frequency range. Get up in RF spectrum sure, but not at under 20KHz.

If it did, we'd still be using litz wire.

If someone says "cable x sounds better than cable y" they're either selling something, or on drugs.

With speaker wire, sure there's a difference, but not between brands, a $20 spool of 12 gauge wire will sound as good a $4000 spool of 12 gauge wire.

The whole cable thing is BS. Go for quality build, low resistance and you'll be good to go.



here we go again
tongue.gif
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #362 of 672

noinimod

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Posts
337
Likes
10
So.. i've finally finished reading through all 24 pages. It has been really fun reading all the stuff bout this pair of cans. I plan to get either this or the akg k701; are there other models i should be looking at?

I do have a local shop where i can audition all these models, so i just need to narrow down the choices.

I read some people saying that with a lousy amp, the hd600s have a tendency to sound veiled. Thing is, i'm totally broke this month and don't think i can cough up the necessary dough for another headphone amp (just revamped my speaker rig and bought a dac actually)

So.. i'm wondering if these with the following specs can tide me over and be a somewhat average amp for the hd600s?
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #363 of 672

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
799
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.. i've finally finished reading through all 24 pages. It has been really fun reading all the stuff bout this pair of cans. I plan to get either this or the akg k701; are there other models i should be looking at?

I do have a local shop where i can audition all these models, so i just need to narrow down the choices.

I read some people saying that with a lousy amp, the hd600s have a tendency to sound veiled. Thing is, i'm totally broke this month and don't think i can cough up the necessary dough for another headphone amp (just revamped my speaker rig and bought a dac actually)

So.. i'm wondering if these with the following specs can tide me over and be a somewhat average amp for the hd600s?



On a budget I would say the vivid V1 for $99 sounded very similar in sound and power to the StyleAudio TOPAZ when used with HD600 and you could get that instead for $99 while you save up for a nicer amp. Both of those worked better with HD600 than with other headphones, and would be a good temporary measure.

You could also do well with the $189 Head-direct HiFiMan EF2 which has decent power for HD600 and sounds nice with them as well. I would pick the EF2 over the V1, but while both are a DAC/amp the EF2 isn't portable. It has the advantage of sounding nice with Grados, Denon and IEMs.
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #364 of 672

noinimod

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Posts
337
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a budget I would say the vivid V1 for $99 sounded very similar in sound and power to the StyleAudio TOPAZ when used with HD600 and you could get that instead for $99 while you save up for a nicer amp. Both of those worked better with HD600 than with other headphones, and would be a good temporary measure.

You could also do well with the $189 Head-direct HiFiMan EF2 which has decent power for HD600 and sounds nice with them as well. I would pick the EF2 over the V1, but while both are a DAC/amp the EF2 isn't portable. It has the advantage of sounding nice with Grados, Denon and IEMs.



Thanks man, appreciate the help. Good to know there are actually somewhat okay amps <200; i was reading around and saw tons of amps in the >300 range. That would be seriously too much to bear lol.

I kinda spent quite abit on my DAC, so can i still use it as a pre-amp/DAC? Would you think the EF2 has better DAC components than what's in the DAC i'm using now?
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #366 of 672

aloksatoor

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Posts
322
Likes
0
i really like the gilmore lite > pico dac to Jena recable HD600s at work
smily_headphones1.gif
they gel really really well mostly with jazz and new age.... the b22 really puts them in a diff league though wish I had one b22 at work too hehehe
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #368 of 672

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Posts
2,935
Likes
103
Location
London, UK
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn.. ;( I wanted to see one of these legendary hifi forum cable debates.
frown.gif


Never seen one!



F-off, heretic! Away with your all-consuming blindness and lack of faith!

angry-hobo2.jpg





[size=xx-small](There... are you happy now?)
tongue.gif
[/size]
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #369 of 672

partysnatcher

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Posts
121
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
F-off, heretic! Away with your all-consuming blindness and lack of faith!

angry-hobo2.jpg





[size=xx-small](There... are you happy now?)
tongue.gif
[/size]



haha, yeah. That was pretty much how I imagined it.

(except maybe the cigarette)
 
Aug 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #370 of 672

pekingduck

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2009
Posts
2,281
Likes
163
Just got the HD600 today..my first pair of good full-size cans
icon10.gif
(my other cans are the HD555)

Equipment: MacBook Pro (iTunes/ALAC) -> iBasso D10 -> Minibox-E+
(I know, I know... I should get a 'proper' desktop amp to drive them, but that's why I have for now..)

Some initial impressions

Comfort: a bit clampy but still OK. Glad that I don't have a big head
tongue_smile.gif


Bass: tight and controlled. Goes deeper than I expected. Love it!

Mids: a bit recessed.

Highs: smooth and crisp! In contrast the HD555 sound a bit harsh (I thought they were pretty decent
redface.gif
)

Soundstage: wider than the HD555, no surprise here.

Detail: crisp and clear. I hear things I didn't notice with my HD555. Now I can actually FEEL the plucking of string instruments...impressed!

By the way, I found the HD600 don't need much EQ'ing either.

Can't wait to see how they scale with a nice desktop amp. My wallet is now crying for help lol
very_evil_smiley.gif


That's it for now..
happy_face1.gif
 
Aug 16, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #371 of 672

miloxo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Posts
310
Likes
11
Im thinking about buying the HD600s, but my wallet says no, esp. because i do not have an amp (yet). And im just a 16 year old teenager with a small income (i dont have an income at the moment, actually. but i have money laying around)

I was think about buying HD600s now, and then save some cash and buy a LD mkII. Good idea? or not? =P
 
Aug 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #373 of 672

tdogzthmn

Member of the Trade: Drop
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Posts
1,700
Likes
40
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I can source the HD650 cable for cheap? (UK)

I recall reading that it is a good make-weight and I want to satisfy curiosity. Thanks



Try sennheisers main site or call them up. I got one from them for $12 USD. Although the HD650 cable is thicker, I prefer the sound of the stock cable.
 
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #375 of 672

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Posts
5,774
Likes
19
^ That's one beautiful cable and pair of phones!

I am expecting mine to be here tomorrow. If not, they should arrive here the day after tomorrow!
biggrin.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top