The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Aug 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #376 of 672
Got mine 10 minutes ago!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #377 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im thinking about buying the HD600s, but my wallet says no, esp. because i do not have an amp (yet). And im just a 16 year old teenager with a small income (i dont have an income at the moment, actually. but i have money laying around)

I was think about buying HD600s now, and then save some cash and buy a LD mkII. Good idea? or not? =P

I initially used them for some 6 months or so with a pissweak Creative card and a Mini^3 portably and personally thought they were a respectable improvement even at just that over the AD700s in detail, positioning, even bass. Soundstage was definitely narrowed though. Now that I have a Compass they have improved considerably but I don't think they were bad sounding ampless by any means.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #378 of 672
Thanks, then ill probably go for the HD600s

Now I need a place to buy them from. I live in the Netherlands, and so far the cheapest price i could find is ~$290 shipped (amazon.de).

What is the cheapest place to get HD600s in the Netherlands?

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #379 of 672
i loved everything about hd600. i preferred it over hd650, hd580, sr325i, ms2i, dt990.
i may be one of the few people who say this but loved listening to rock/metal genre with hd600.
too bad i had to sell it b/c of financial problems last year. i'm buying another pair as soon as i get some financial relief.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #381 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone recommend an amp in the <$500 range that pairs well with the hd580?

i currently have an ef2 which is amazing but im just wondering about upgrades

Out of the amps I have heard or owned...

The Dark Voice 336i is better with HD600 but the EF2 is going to be better with all the other <300 ohm headphones. So, maybe not much of an upgrade except that it is wonderful with HD600 (the stock tubes suck mud).

The Woo WA6 is good with HD600 but exceeds your budget by $100. It will also beat the EF2 with everything else. Soundstage is a definite upgrade if you use a $150 Sophia Princess 274b rectifier, but a Sovtek 5U4G rectifier for $15 is not bad.

A Millett max would be good, but I only heard one once a year ago.

A Grahm Slee NOVO is good with HD600 and brightens them up, but everything else will sound better with EF2. And you really need the regulated PSU for the Novo to get the smoothest sound with biggest soundstage.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #382 of 672
I am very tempted in saving a bit more for the WA6 as I've heard nothing but good things. My second/cheaper choice would be the DV332. Time to do some more searching/reading.

Thanks again, you've been a huge influence in my choice of equipment.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #383 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i loved everything about hd600. i preferred it over hd650, hd580, sr325i, ms2i, dt990.
i may be one of the few people who say this but loved listening to rock/metal genre with hd600.
too bad i had to sell it b/c of financial problems last year. i'm buying another pair as soon as i get some financial relief.

X2
I love my Jubilee with all sorts of Rock (progressive, metal, punk etc..)

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #384 of 672
Quote:

I am very tempted in saving a bit more for the WA6 as I've heard nothing but good things. My second/cheaper choice would be the DV332. Time to do some more searching/reading.

Thanks again, you've been a huge influence in my choice of equipment.

He has for me as well
biggrin.gif

I can attest to the Woo/HD600 synergy. I went for the 6SE model, with upgrades, so I'm using a more powerful and refined amp than you would be with a WA6/PDPS. But I can't imagine the sound signature to be anything but excellent with any Woo 6.

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #385 of 672
just got the tav in for the 600s

3844843984_8f816c037e.jpg

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #386 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by critic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got the tav in for the 600s

Your thoughts? I wasn't real impressed with my Travagans Red and HD-600. It sounded rather flat and without authority to me, with a Apogee Duet as DAC.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #388 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your thoughts? I wasn't real impressed with my Travagans Red and HD-600. It sounded rather flat and without authority to me, with a Apogee Duet as DAC.

i agree =/, sounds a bit dull, thought maybe i was hoping for to much. BUT im gonna give the opamps headphoneaddict seemed to love a shot before i make my final decision.

Quote:

how does it sound with the travagan red? is that a blue jeans msa-1? i use those too
smily_headphones1.gif

overall its enjoyable, and honestly for the price i got it for i really cant argue.
and yep, first time i ordered from them, theyre not bad!

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #389 of 672
I just purchased a set of used HD600's here in the FS section. This is my first real pair of open dynamics. I started in the high end headphone game by getting a pair of ATH-A900 and a Zero DAC/AMP.

The HD600's have the Clou Blue cable and the Pads are really warn but seem in great shape. I listened to them for about 4 hours last night mostly rock and my initial impressions are that they are repressed and less detailed than my A900's. I am wondering if the Zero is not enough amp to get the detail out of these. The volume levels seem fine so Im not running out of gain on the amp. I put the stock cable on them and it was even more recessed. I currently listening to them now with the clou cable but I am wondering if I really need to upgrade the pads or amp or am I just getting a different sound that I am not used to and need to give it time.

I have read through this thread and I see they are picky about source and amp I am just wondering if I am missing something obvious.

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #390 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by critic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree =/, sounds a bit dull, thought maybe i was hoping for to much. BUT im gonna give the opamps headphoneaddict seemed to love a shot before i make my final decision.

overall its enjoyable, and honestly for the price i got it for i really cant argue.
and yep, first time i ordered from them, theyre not bad!

Definitely try the AD743 and OPA627 in the Red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back