The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,352 of 1,909
This may be a question for Schiit but do you guys know if the Magni2U can accept a 2V DC signal?  Haven't really found the specifics on it.  I have an iMod I want to run capless thru it and see how it sounds

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,353 of 1,909
  I'll let you all you know my impressions when I get the SYS.  To my ears the Y-connectors definitely "muffled" the sound (I tried several samples) as compared to cables straight out of the Bifrost and into the selected amp.  Not only is it a hassle to change up cables between amps I'm concerned that the constant wear and tear on the Bifrost output nibs is going to take it's toll on this wonderful DAC.

Muffled is an extreme term. I guess we'll have to disagree on this observation, I hear no difference.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,354 of 1,909
I already have a Bifrost Uber USB, but need to get an other desktop DAC for another non listening site at home that is not critical. I'm not about to be dragging the Bifrost around so I just ordered a Modi 2 Uber. I've been using a portable DAC/Amp but want something better at that spot. I have an original Magni and a Vali to use with it. I am tempted to get a Magni 2 Uber, must resist........
Patiently waiting, took the FedEx 2 Day delivery option.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,355 of 1,909
  I already have a Bifrost Uber USB, but need to get an other desktop DAC for another non listening site at home that is not critical. I'm not about to be dragging the Bifrost around so I just ordered a Modi 2 Uber. I've been using a portable DAC/Amp but want something better at that spot. I have an original Magni and a Vali to use with it. I am tempted to get a Magni 2 Uber, must resist........
Patiently waiting, took the FedEx 2 Day delivery option.

It would be MUCH appreciated if you would do a thorough comparison between the Bifrost Uber USB and the Modi 2 Uber. I'm very curious at how they compare, especially with USB input.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,356 of 1,909
  This may be a question for Schiit but do you guys know if the Magni2U can accept a 2V DC signal?  Haven't really found the specifics on it.  I have an iMod I want to run capless thru it and see how it sounds

From the website:

Hey, so does that mean I can plug in some uber-special, gold-plated, cryo-treated, 85-lb 2000VA wall wart and have even better performance?
Unless you know what you’re doing, we don’t recommend that. Magni2 and Magni 2 Uber use an AC wall wart. Most are DC. DC won’t work.

From the manual:

Connect the supplied 24VA wall-wart cable to the jack labeled “14VAC.” Do not use any other wallwart, unless for some bizarre reason you want to downgrade to Magni 2’s 16VAC, 8VA wall-wart.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,357 of 1,909
Jan 9, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,358 of 1,909
i've google'd about DAC. and based on my limited google search... (20-25 hours worth...). DAC difference on the $200-$400 doesn't sound that much different except for some caveats. 1) how resolving your headphone is. if your headphone is top-of-the-line, the difference would be more noticeable. 2) what the architecture of the DAC is... read something about sigma-delta all sounds pretty similar. while DAC that uses tube as a buffer would sound a little different, and something about some DAC being warmer or brighter than another due the maker intentionally tweak the DAC sound... (read something about cambridge DAC is tweak to sound a certain way...)

i dont know how accurate my google search was, but hope it helps for people that are even newer than me and are on the fence on how different one dac with another.

my conclusion is modi 2 uber at its current price is like gold mine for budget-fi

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,359 of 1,909

Mr.Rovopio,

You've done quite well, excellent summary! 

Schiit stuff is exactly as you describe it:  as good or better than anything you can find in it's price range, probably better than just about everything else, a "Safe" investment.

A person probably can't make a mistake buying/owning Schiit products, especially the little M&M entry level stuff.  

The Reviewers would probably be saying this too if they didn't have to support all those advertised products.  

Tony in Michigan  

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,360 of 1,909
I believe this is true. I spoke with a retailer of high end components, and while he obviously didn't sell Schiit products he said he has the "utmost respect" for them and "couldn't go wrong" with the amps or DACs.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,361 of 1,909
Just received the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2! ...but they're just sitting there, because I won't receive the cables until tomorrow. Grrr.

Does anyone have advice for placing the rubber feet? Can they only be placed one time? How do I ensure the four feet are placed evenly?

I meant as an input instead of the digital to analog converter. I didn't mean the power supply

Sorry. Should work. But that's just a guess.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,362 of 1,909

Does anyone have advice for placing the rubber feet? Can they only be placed one time? How do I ensure the four feet are placed evenly?

You don't have many hands so I think it'll be down to one at a time.
You'll have to resort to eye hand coordination, nothing bad will happen if you're off by a drop.
I don't use their itty bitty feet, I purchased bigger feet made by 3M.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,363 of 1,909
  Just received the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2! ...but they're just sitting there, because I won't receive the cables until tomorrow. Grrr.

Same thing with cables for me.  I was surprised/pissed I didn't have any RCA cables anywhere.  So my Vali/Modi 2U are just sitting there mocking me...Might have to go to a retailer tonight and swallow the retail cost of cables.

Regarding feet placement...I am OCD, so I took a pencil and ruler and carefully plotted a grid to evenly space each corner.  I think I did 1 or 1.5 cm from each edge...

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,364 of 1,909

It would be MUCH appreciated if you would do a thorough comparison between the Bifrost Uber USB and the Modi 2 Uber. I'm very curious at how they compare, especially with USB input.

I don't have a Modi 2Über.  I do have an original Modi (& original Magni) on my computer setup.  My Bifrost Über does have a USB input however I am using the Bifrost in my 2 channel system which is not in the same room as my computer setup.  Consequently I am running coaxial from my CD player to the Bifrost and fibre optic from my Airport Express to the Bifrost.  In other words my Bifrost USB input is not in use.  I chose to add USB to the Bifrost just in case...future expandability perhaps.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,365 of 1,909
I managed to get the feet placement job done with no problems; they're just not perfectly even, but it doesn't show when you're not looking at the underside.

The brushed aluminum on the Uber looks much nicer than the painted steel of the standard version!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back