The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 9, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,366 of 1,909
  I managed to get the feet placement job done with no problems; they're just not perfectly even, but it doesn't show when you're not looking at the underside.

The brushed aluminum on the Uber looks much nicer than the painted steel of the standard version!

Not as bad as mismatching a pair of blue and red socks.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,367 of 1,909

Same thing with cables for me.  I was surprised/pissed I didn't have any RCA cables anywhere.  So my Vali/Modi 2U are just sitting there mocking me...Might have to go to a retailer tonight and swallow the retail cost of cables.

Regarding feet placement...I am OCD, so I took a pencil and ruler and carefully plotted a grid to evenly space each corner.  I think I did 1 or 1.5 cm from each edge...

The little rubber "feet" that came with my M&M original stack work just fine.  There's a nice little gap between the table and between the units themselves.  Keeps them in place, no sliding around.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,369 of 1,909

They kind of complement each other when you look at them.

The shiny silver Uber amp with its fancy volume knob and headphone output is on its throne dominating the dark grey peasant DAC under it, quietly doing its job with no need for a flashy input button. =D

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,370 of 1,909

They kind of complement each other when you look at them.

The shiny silver Uber amp with its fancy volume knob and headphone output is on its throne dominating the dark grey peasant DAC under it, quietly doing its job with no need for a flashy input button. =D

I'll have my socks on the other way. I already have a Magni 1 and ordered a Modi 2 Uber. As my Biforst, I use different inputs so I need that "Flashy Button."

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,371 of 1,909
  I'll have my socks on the other way. I already have a Magni 1 and ordered a Modi 2 Uber. As my Biforst, I use different inputs so I need that "Flashy Button."

Ha, nice.

I also got my M40x back from Audio-Technica today. They basically said it functions perfectly and I need to check my audio source. I'm hoping both of these new headphones will sound much better once I can hook them up to some good Schiit.
biggrin.gif

In the meantime until tomorrow, I'm just listening to my QC15 and enjoying the heck out of it, since it sounds ten times better than the HD 590 and M40x from the laptop's headphone jack.

Another odd discovery I made is that the headphone jack closest to me has better sound quality than the one behind it.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,373 of 1,909

Ha, nice.

I also got my M40x back from Audio-Technica today. They basically said it functions perfectly and I need to check my audio source. I'm hoping both of these new headphones will sound much better once I can hook them up to some good Schiit.
biggrin.gif

In the meantime until tomorrow, I'm just listening to my QC15 and enjoying the heck out of it, since it sounds ten times better than the HD 590 and M40x from the laptop's headphone jack.

Another odd discovery I made is that the headphone jack closest to me has better sound quality than the one behind it.

your pc case is crap?

mine doesnt sound any difference, the front sure is more convenient

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,375 of 1,909

Ha, nice.

biggrin.gif

I have a QC15 but use it when traveling for its superb ANC. It has internal amplification so it doesn't need an amp to sound good. My HD600 or HE-500's sound far better than my QC15 when on an Amp, you should be in for a treat once your get your Schiit in order.
What jacks on your laptop are you referring to? If one is a line out and the other a true headphone out, then the line out is not going to cut it for a headphone.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,377 of 1,909
  I have a QC15 but use it when traveling for its superb ANC. It has internal amplification so it doesn't need an amp to sound good. My HD600 or HE-500's sound far better than my QC15 when on an Amp, you should be in for a treat once your get your Schiit in order.
What jacks on your laptop are you referring to? If one is a line out and the other a true headphone out, then the line out is not going to cut it for a headphone.

Oh yeah, I forgot you had it too!

I was astonished at how drastically the QC15's sound quality improved when I switched to the V-MODA Audio Only Cable. (The stock cables have extra electronics that interfere with the signal.) The main downside is that, due to the active circuitry of the headphones, the channels are switched, and I have to use toilet paper to hold the cable in place.

You can see an image of the two headphone jacks here.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,379 of 1,909
  that's a really good laptop.

For the record, though, the front headphone jack seems to only sound slightly better than the rear one. Could be my imagination. Or could be due to the fact that I've used the latter for years while rarely ever using the former. The front jack is much more secure; I have to pull it out with some force, while I can insert and remove plugs from the rear jack with little resistance.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,380 of 1,909
I first ordered a Magni 2 and when I took it out of the clear bag I noticed that if it is tilted back and forth there is a rattling sound. Not something that is completely loose, bouncing around inside, but instead a piece that shifts. 

I ultimately decided to get the Magni 2 Uber instead because I wanted the improvements of the Uber. The aluminum chassis and knob were bonuses. When the Uber is tilted back and forth there is no rattling movement.

Out of curiosity, is this normal?  Does the standard rattle and the Uber doesn't? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back