The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,336 of 1,909
  Please be careful walking too, you can fall down.  Alert:  stove is hot, don't touch!

lol. Reminds me of when I was five years old or so. Back then, I didn't know better, so I put my hand in boiling water out of curiosity...and also put a pastry in the microwave for five minutes instead of five seconds, resulting in a fire. XD

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,337 of 1,909
Haha! That's why God invented headphones and Jason and Mike invented Schiit DACs & Headphone amplifiers.

It was a great Plan until I dragged the Laptop, Headphones and Fulla Into bed.
L3000.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,338 of 1,909

I'm actually looking for a neutral sound signature right now, and the FSP is said to be more neutral than just about anything else. (I am interested in darker and brighter stuff too, though.)

Then I'd definitely recommend to give the HD600s a chance :) 
They really do sound amazing with the M2/M2 stack

For the record, I didn't steal the arrows from you; I just happened to use them in the past.

Uh huh, that's what they all say 
wink.gif

Oh god...you know anime. I'm pretty sure your avatar isn't you, though. 
tongue_smile.gif

Here is a link to my MAL profile. I've watched between 71 and 100 days worth of anime. 
ph34r.gif

I don't see Log Horizon on that list, booooo. 

Haha that's Yoona! But I think I'll be conceited enough and say I look similar c:

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,339 of 1,909
  Then I'd definitely recommend to give the HD600s a chance :) 
They really do sound amazing with the M2/M2 stack

Uh huh, that's what they all say 
wink.gif

I don't see Log Horizon on that list, booooo. 

Haha that's Yoona! But I think I'll be conceited enough and say I look similar c:

If I ever get the 600, it will be after the FSP and Alpha 50. But since I want to get into ultra-high-end headphones after I get the speakers, it may not happen.

I've never heard of that one. *adds to ridiculously long plan to watch list*

So you're female, Asian, and a Head-Fier? That's just too awesome. (I know another female Asian Head-Fier too!)

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,342 of 1,909
Ok that's it...enough already with these damn Y-connectors splitting the analog output from my Bifrost so that I can feed both my speaker amp and my headphone amp.  Those connectors DO degrade the signal.  And I just hate switching out cables between the amps.  So, I ordered a SYS.  I hope that it is clean and keeps the signal integrity out of the Bifrost.

And, since I already had the SYS on the order form, I just had to add a Magni 2Ü even though I said in an earlier post that I didn't see the need to upgrade from my Magni original.  DAMN YOU JASON for making such irresistible products!!

Oh well, since the Magni 2Ü has preamp outputs now I can throw out those confounded Y-connectors from my computer setup as well.  I suppose I can relocate my original Magni to my bedside table (no really honey, you won't hear a thing).  However, now my M&M stack finishes will be mismatched because I'm totally satisfied with my original Modi, really I am...I do have some restraint you know.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,343 of 1,909
  Haha!  I bet the missus said that there ARE limits to the type of "toys" that are brought into the boudoir :wink:

Just the Evil Eye My friend
mad.gif

Ok that's it...enough already with these damn Y-connectors splitting the analog output from my Bifrost so that I can feed both my speaker amp and my headphone amp.  Those connectors DO degrade the signal.  And I just hate switching out cables between the amps.  So, I ordered a SYS.  I hope that it is clean and keeps the signal integrity out of the Bifrost.

And, since I already had the SYS on the order form, I just had to add a Magni 2Ü even though I said in an earlier post that I didn't see the need to upgrade from my Magni original.  DAMN YOU JASON for making such irresistible products!!

Oh well, since the Magni 2Ü has preamp outputs now I can throw out those confounded Y-connectors from my computer setup as well.  I suppose I can relocate my original Magni to my bedside table (no really honey, you won't hear a thing).  However, now my M&M stack finishes will be mismatched because I'm totally satisfied with my original Modi, really I am...I do have some restraint you know.

See above about the bedside stack, could lead to trouble. I guess I should use the closed set so it does not have sound bleeding out as much. Looking forward to your impressions of the Magni 2 Uber Vs. the original Magni. The Modi 2 Uber will just happen to fall in the shopping cart next week.

You just gave Me a great idea. I wanted a Vali  to run with a set of beyers on my future home work area,  But wanted some small powered monitors because sometimes i just prefer speakers but there are no pre outs on the Vali. I can use my Old Modi into a sys then switch between a Vali for for the Phones and Have the Magni2 Uber for the monitors.  ( I know I can just use the Magni 2 Uber but I really want to give the hybrid tube a run.) Genius

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,344 of 1,909

A short Y cable and interconnects will nothing to degrade SQ.The Bifrost's output impedance is low enough to drive that and the inputs of two amps. The few pf of capacitance in the cables works up in the RF spectrum, no problem for audio. Been there done that and compared, walked away happy.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,346 of 1,909

Oh well, since the Magni 2Ü has preamp outputs now I can throw out those confounded Y-connectors from my computer setup as well.  I suppose I can relocate my original Magni to my bedside table (no really honey, you won't hear a thing).  However, now my M

A short Y cable and interconnects will nothing to degrade SQ.The Bifrost's output impedance is low enough to drive that and the inputs of two amps. The few pf of capacitance in the cables works up in the RF spectrum, no problem for audio. Been there done that and compared, walked away happy.
Regardless, I suspect that a SYS would impact SQ more than a Y-cable. One of the weakest points in a wired system is the connectors, as there are several potential failure modes. All SYS would do is eliminate the splice but introduce new connections. [/dayjob]

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,347 of 1,909
Regardless, I suspect that a SYS would impact SQ more than a Y-cable. One of the weakest points in a wired system is the connectors, as there are several potential failure modes. All SYS would do is eliminate the splice but introduce new connections. [/dayjob]

I'll let you all you know my impressions when I get the SYS.  To my ears the Y-connectors definitely "muffled" the sound (I tried several samples) as compared to cables straight out of the Bifrost and into the selected amp.  Not only is it a hassle to change up cables between amps I'm concerned that the constant wear and tear on the Bifrost output nibs is going to take it's toll on this wonderful DAC.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,349 of 1,909
  Can you post a picture of solid T connectors?

i've used these
if there is a difference in sound quality, i can't hear it 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFRW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GUSQJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #1,350 of 1,909
  i've used these
if there is a difference in sound quality, i can't hear it 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFRW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GUSQJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

Just wanted to add, great looking and compact connectors.  I would have considered them instead if I would have known about them and probably not ordered the SYS. The price on Amazon.com is terrific (worth getting), however it's double the price up here on Amazon.ca (Canuck-land).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back