The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #121 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
0% SACD
5%CD
95% files 
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No 
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Don't really need it but 150$ maybe

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #122 of 333

Yes, however you would need to live in cave not to be...

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes, but under dozen or so.

Oh, maybe 2/10s of a percent.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
Not at all.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Most likely not until DSD hits a tipping point, which I don't see happening in my life time.

Can't wait for the Statement!
Tony

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #123 of 333

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

1. Yes. I see it as an old technology now that online sales of HD music is expanding and iTunes is considering going HD.
2. No.
3. Nil
4. Not at all.
5. Maybe as an option but at this stage I wouldn't bother ordering it. If I needed it though later due to a change in technology then I would gladly pay $250 to upgrade a Schiit statement dac rather than becoming redundant.

Cheers

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #124 of 333
SACD - Yes; DSD - Somewhat, but have never heard it.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes

<1% SACD, 60% CD, 40% FLAC & HiRes (not including Vinyl, my primary source media which I am begining to digitize in HiRes and is the reason I bought the Bifrost)

SACD alone is off no intrest to me since I have so few with no desire to begin purchasing & collecting a new physical media. DSD, however is a format that has potential to be desireable in the near future.

If it is a modular upgrade similar to the current USB option offered on the Bifrost which I can decide to purchase with the initial product or install myself at a latter date - and taking into account you guys never do anything half-assed -  I would say 20% - 30% of the cost of the product or $200 - $350 is very reasonalble.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #125 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Yes, stands for Super Audio CD and Direct Stream Digital.
2. No.
3. 0% vs 100%
4. No, since I do not own a SACD player.
5. I wouldn't.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #126 of 333
     Quote:

+1

I don't have any plans to vastly expand my SACD collection. I'll pick up a few here and there, but I am really looking forward to DSD/DSF over USB.
Currently some players, like Audrivana Plus, can convert to PCM on the fly, but native is the way to go. SACD is all but dead, butI would love to see a push in the availability of DSD files.

DSD isn't dead, it's just a hassle, since you need a SACD player, stereo receiver, headphone amp, etc.

Ripping physical SACD's to your computer (via the DVD drive) and playing .DSF via USB will eliminate the hassle.  Then, people will have SACD collections, all of a sudden, hehe.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #127 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Yes, I am

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes, I do

3%

Not at the moment.

Yes I would... In fact I'm looking for a bang-for-buck SACD-playing solution, being so many SACDs so cheap these days.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #128 of 333

Quote:
YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
NO
All CD
NO, I'm happy with lossless.
I would not personally.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #129 of 333

Quote:
2. Do you own any SACDs? 

1. Yes. No.
2. No. 
3. N/A (10% CD 90% Files)
4. No, Trying to shift my whole music collection to digital files.
5. At the moment I wouldn't, but I would pay more for a device that is able to be upgraded in the future.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #130 of 333
Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes.

Sacd -5%
CD - 80%
Files -15%

yes, but may be out of my budget.

if it is affordable then that would be brill.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your future releases.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #131 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD
I'm familiar with SACD but I haven't got to own any or hear any yet sadly. DSD I don't know but now that I read this thread, I'm doing research on it.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Like in question #1, I wish I had a SACD player.

12% in CD's Haven't got that much of a collection yet. Files is a whopping 78% and SACD is a complete 0%

It all depends if I was deeply about start on collecting SACD's but if not then I would just look for another honestly.  

I would pay $100 for the upgrade if I was really looking for one. 

Thanks for giving this opportunity! It would be nice to own a bitfrost :D 

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #132 of 333

Yes, I am.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

I do own ONE SACD: Friday Night In San Francisco.

Well, 10 SACD tracks of about 1500 that I actually listen to and are high enough bitrate for me to tolerate...so about .007 percent.

Not really. I'm a college student and I've always seen the BiFrost as an endgame DAC for me, since I probably won't be able to afford the BiFrost for a long while anyway (maybe never). I'd die to own one and the possibility of DSD encoding wouldn't really change that since it's such an uncommon format and I have so few tracks that I would even use it for.

No, but simply because I have so few tracks in the format. I suppose if I owned enough tracks to have reason enough for the upgrade, I'd be willing to pay about $125-$150 for the upgrade, assuming the DAC I was upgrading would be the BiFrost or a similarly tiered DAC. If I had a really high-end reference DAC, I would honestly just expect SACD/DSD compatibility as a virtue of the cost, kind of like the Breitling Lap-Timers on expensive cars. You never actually use them to time laps, but you expect them to be there since you've bought such a high-end vehicle.

Hope the feedback helps! Hope to try out some of your products soon, maybe as an owner after the contest (wink, wink?).

Kojaku

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #134 of 333

Quote:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

• Yes, I am familiar with SACD and DSD.
  • I own a couple of SACDs.
  • I own two SACDs and about 500 albums that are not SACD's. So, 2 SACD albums/500 total albums = 0.4%
  • I think it is considerably important. There are plenty of great players/sources that play SACD well.
  • Tough question. For an upgraded (USB) DAC to play SACD/DSD, I'd say $750-$800 total.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #135 of 333
Quote:
Yes (that is to say, I've listened to SACD).

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No (as I don't own a compatible player).

0% SACD, 10% CD, 90% files (of which about 80% are FLAC (of which about 10% are hi-res) and 20% mp3).

Not an important consideration, but would be a nice touch that I would appreciate.

If I acquired more SACDs, I would pay ~$100.00 for the upgrade. I should note that I would not want this as the default option (as I would then feel like I was paying for it in the stock version even if I wasn't planning on using this feature). It sounds like you're saying upgrade-only though, not default, which would be nice.

Thanks Jason! Great contest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back