The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
May 5, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #721 of 837
I could live with the Protector plus JH13 and get rid of everything else I have (except HF2 for the iPhone) and live very happily if I really had to but fortunately I don't have to

May 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #722 of 837
I have been listening to the Protector in balanced mode for the last few days with the JH13/iMod/TWag  and as compared to the other amps I own, TTVJ slim and the Headstage Arrow, there is no comparison, it is a different league.  Fuller sound, bass like I never heard before, speed, and dynamics are awesome and for you midrange voice freaks, I feel that the singer is whispering in my ears alone.  However, I will keep these amps as backups, but like nc8000, I can be happy with this setup alone (of course until the next best thing comes along!).  It's like every time I think the sound out of these little portable gadgets can t get better, someone comes along and improves them.  Watch out wallet!

May 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #724 of 837
Agreed. I haven't listened to anything else since. I tried listening to my Hifiman headphone out (Game amp enhanced). The sound was obviously less refined, the soundstage smaller, the 3D effect disappeared, and the bass became more anemic.

It was immediately back to the Protector :)

May 6, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #725 of 837
I have posted my impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-37-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared/2685#post_6614209

May 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #726 of 837

Quote:
I have posted my impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-37-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared/2685#post_6614209

Great review Skylab, my sentiments almost exactly.  I do find the mids on some recordings a tad bit too forward but not really enough to complain, just more so than other amps I've tried.

May 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #727 of 837
I have been listening with my Ultrasone Ed. 9 today, in balanced of course (something I thought I would never do -convert them). But what a sound. Fast, open, detailed and uncongested with a great bass line. I have Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood live that I did not like when I got it but running it balanced, thank the audio gods because this makes the recording great, great fun and such stunning imaging. 

May 8, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #729 of 837

Quote:
Just got an invoice from SAA regarding ED8 balanced protector cable 4FT..... $749!!!

Should I just reterminate the stock cable? $700 is bit steep

You probably already know this, try Whiplash Audio, helluva lot cheaper, great cables and a great guy.
RL

May 9, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #730 of 837
Yes, he makes great cables and I use them but cheaper than what? 

May 10, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #731 of 837
To those that are using the Protector ONLY in balanced mode tell me where "volume wise" on the pot you are mostly listening.  I'm just curious what volume level most people using this amp listen at.  I find I don't ever go past 10:00 on the dial.  Usually between 9 and 10.

I am new to portable headphone amps and find that I am usually most comfortable listening at the 7-8 o'clock level but then it is hard for me to discern all the different sounds/instruments in the track.  To hear everything in the track I usually need to up the volume.  Just curious what everyone else's preferences are with regard to volume.

Using this with JH16.

May 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #732 of 837

Quote:
To those that are using the Protector ONLY in balanced mode tell me where "volume wise" on the pot you are mostly listening.  I'm just curious what volume level most people using this amp listen at.  I find I don't ever go past 10:00 on the dial.  Usually between 9 and 10.

I am new to portable headphone amps and find that I am usually most comfortable listening at the 7-8 o'clock level but then it is hard for me to discern all the different sounds/instruments in the track.  To hear everything in the track I usually need to up the volume.  Just curious what everyone else's preferences are with regard to volume.

Using this with JH16.

Im using the Protector with my triple fis and I never go past 10:00. Usually between 8 -9 ( Low gain)

May 11, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #734 of 837
With my JH13 I'm usually around 10 +- depending on the recording, never above 11 and never below 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back