The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #691 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...it didn't take long. Couldn't wait to burn it in before listening in balanced mode using the UE5c and TWAG. I can honestly say I have never heard these IEMs sound this good. Clarity, air, definition, speed. Can't wait to burn it in and plug in the JH13.

If I jump on the Protector, the UE5c's were my first headphones I was planning to balance. It's good to hear that they shine in that configuration...

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #692 of 837
Just got an invoice from SAA regarding ED8 balanced protector cable 4FT..... $749!!!

Should I just reterminate the stock cable? $700 is bit steep

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #693 of 837
I don't know where some of these guys muster up the nerve to charge $750 for a 4 foot cable. That is beyond ludicrous. Do the re termination or find somebody honest to do it for you. There's no magic involved.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #694 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got an invoice from SAA regarding ED8 balanced protector cable 4FT..... $749!!!

Ultrasone uses some pretty good cable to begin with for their top of the line phones. They utilize a well respected manufacture in Europe. I would not say this about the lower cost phones and for some of those they use junk but not the Ed. 7, 8 and 9.

I am using the HD650's balanced and listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The recently released remastered live shows and WOW. What great hair raising sound. Too much fun. :^) In the past I could have gotten rid of the 650's but balanced they shine. "Spike" is a great song with great audience sounds.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #695 of 837
Quote:

You can re-terminate your stock cable for a couple of dollars. I am guessing that you will find the resultant sound to be excellent
without the need for re-cabling.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #696 of 837
Quote:

Ouch !!!!
I have yet to pass the about $300 for a recable and doubt I'll ever go there. My most expensive cable is my 1' balanced NLE-053 between my Jungson cd player and RudiStor amp at about $400 (less when I bought it and the dollar was stronger)

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #697 of 837
Quote:

Well I guess that is not even their top of the line cable --the SAA Voice" and please don't check the price unless you have someone that knows CPR standby
atsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #698 of 837
They don't have one for ED8 but the Locus Design Oracle cable is $1800 for 10ft. I'm speechless

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #700 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Protector was the worlds first (true I understand) and only (maybe not true) balanced portable amp?

If balanced headphones are the bees knees, is there any point searching beyond this amp?

I also notice that it's a very reasonable $475 to purchse. So why would I go searching for an amp more expensive than this, isn't this as good as it gets?

They say there are no stupid questions, but I feel like I just asked one
redface.gif
)

Not a stupid question at all but I think it should be noted that the real cost to most people that I read about here is $775, i.e. the Protector plus the TWag recabling. I have no reason to suggest that the money is ill-spent but that is a lot of scratch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed - in that case it seems to be the best option for sure.

Rob, since you have only heard the Protector with dynamic 'full-sized' cans, can you really conclude that this is "for sure" with IEMs? (I do however recognise your qualifier "seems to be".)

I am more focused on HPA's decision to use the Protector for large cans and the smaller Pico Slim for his IEMs. No doubt the Protector is a fine amp but is it really another universe with IEMs or rather... a fine amp?

(I am contesting hyperbole and superlatives, not trashing the Protector. I have not heard it and the feedback on here suggests that it is at least rather good.)

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #701 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rob, since you have only heard the Protector with dynamic 'full-sized' cans, can you really conclude that this is "for sure" with IEMs? (I do however recognise your qualifier "seems to be".)

His question, to which I was replying, was is there a better portable amp to used with a balanced IEM. Since I am not aware of ANY other balanced portable amps, I thought my answer was fair
biggrin.gif
The amp sounds good, and there aren't other portable balanced choices.

But as with every opinion I offer, you can automatically add "In My Opinion" to the end
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #702 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more focused on HPA's decision to use the Protector for large cans and the smaller Pico Slim for his IEMs. No doubt the Protector is a fine amp but is it really another universe with IEMs or rather... a fine amp?

I was given the impression that HPA (and friends he tested the slim/protector with) liked the slim with their ES3X's and the protector with their 13's?

EDIT: In terms of the cost, find a friend/forum member that's handy with a soldering iron and you can save a bunch of money re terminating
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #703 of 837
i was not able to read every single post in this thread, and this question/request might have been asked already. if so, i apologize.

how is protector's single-ended mode compared to other high-end portable amps like pico, predator, 3move, etc? please do not say "the balanced mode is so much better" because i've read/heard it about 5000 times already. i am asking about the amp quality in the single-ended mode only.
i currently have pico but protector's input/output jacks' positions will be so much more convenient for my setup. and i've been wanting to try ray's product for a long long long time. and eventually down the road, i will be going balanced. just not yet tho.
thank you in advance.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #704 of 837
Although I sold it last week, I would say the Protector S/E mode resembles the Predator's sound signature so it is very decent, IMHO. I don't use full-size cans at all, so the power limitations of the Protector in S/E mode don't apply in my setup.

For S/E listening, I do prefer the TTVJ Slim over the Protector.

Hope this helps.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #705 of 837
The Protector is indeed very decent as single ended but I'm pretty sure that if that is all it is to be used as other options will be as good at a lower price. Only reason to buy a Predator in that case would be if one expects at some point in the future to use it balanced and just want to buy one amp now and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back